“This hotel has recently been rated by Conde Nast as the top hotel in Canada.”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 21 November 2008

This particular trip was a girl's shopping trip but I have also stayed here with my children and also for a romantic getaway.
It is located right next to the Parliament Buildings in Victoria and our request for a residential room was upgraded to one with a view of the Inner Harbour. This was done without us requesting it and was complimentary.
The beds were comfortable, the room was spotless and our stay was wonderful.
The health club has all the workout facilities and the pool has hot tub, sauna and steam room.
The location is great and you can very easily walk to the downtown area from the hotel.
An added attraction is the very tame ducks that seem to live there.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone for anything.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 October 2008

I booked this hotel thru the Black Ball Ferry company which operates the ferry from Port Angeles, WA. The hotel is very conveniently located across from the ferry dock. I arrived on the early morning ferry and was thrilled to find that my room was ready and waiting for me. I had one of the least expensive rooms overlooking a relatively quiet neighborhood street (only one minor disturbance when a tour bus pulled up outside my room). There's a little balcony off the room with chairs, a nice place to sit and sip a cup of coffee in the morning. The room was lovely, spacious, clean and comfortable. Great bathroom, great amenities. The kind of room you'd expect from a four-star property, but I only paid about $100 for the room. If you are leaving on the late ferry, the hotel will hold your luggage for you at no charge (except gratuity) until the ferry is ready to depart, freeing you up to enjoy the afternoon at your leisure.
The hotel restaurant was very nice, but nothing spectacular. Some of the dishes were better than others (I recommend the delicious hazelnut gnocchi). The staff at both the hotel and restaurant were very gracious, friendly and hospitable. Unbeatable value for the price paid.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Leisure_Traveler045
Reviewed 11 October 2008

I stayed at the Hotel Grand Pacific at the beginning of October 2008. I made my choice to stay here after seeing the Pacific Bliss package on the hotel website. The package includes 2 nights stay, 2 spa treatments, a daily $30 food credit, evening turndown service, and a welcome gift of chocolates. It's an amazing deal!

I stayed in room 506, a waterfront room with 2 queen beds. I had asked for a king bed, and the switch wasn't a huge deal but seemed like a waste since I was travelling on my own. The room was clean and well appointed. I liked being able to sit on the balcony every morning with my coffee and watch the resident ducks get their morning feed. The internet connection was consistent but a bit slow.

The spa was amazing!! Amy did my massage, and Bevan did my facial. Both were great at making the experience relaxing and enjoyable. Amy in particular did a great job of dealing with all the tension I've been carrying in my shoulders. I highly recommend checking out the Spa even if you're not staying at the hotel.

I also had the afternoon tea service in the Pacific Restaurant. The experience was a little odd because I was the only person in the restaurant the whole time (about 2:30 on a Tuesday afternoon). However, I was treated very graciously despite the effort the kitchen staff had to go through for just one person. The oolong tea was wonderful, and the "fusion" style tea tier was very tasty (five spice scone and cucumber sandwich with wasabi cream cheese, for example). If you don't have your heart set on doing tea at the Empress and want to try something a little different, definitely try the afternoon tea here.

I did not try the pool or fitness room during my stay.

In all, I really enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Grand Pacific. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a convenient, central location for their Victoria explorations. The service was excellent. And the ducks are an added touch of whimsy in this classy hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Myra M
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Had an excellent stay here. You couldn't ask for a better location, right by the waterfront, 2 blocks from the Empress Hotel, 5 minute walk to all the downtown shops.

The staff were extremely friendly. The rooms were clean and spacious, great bathroom...overall not quite as fancy as the exterior of the hotel would make you think...but still really lovely and heaps of space!

The fitness centre w/ pool/sauna/hot tub is reason alone to stay here. Huge with excellent amenties and free of charge to guests. Good business centre. Free high-speed internet in guest rooms with reliable connection. Ample underground parking @ $12 per day (as of the date of this review)

I didn't dine at any of the restaurants, but did have breakfast at the cafe downstairs each morning and thought that was v good.

No complaints - highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank WannaBeKiwi08
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Something is lacking here. It all felt rather cold and impersonal and the staff had a rather superior air about them.

Arrived at 6 pm on a Sunday having booked a harbour view room. No porter was available to take the cases to the room so did it myself - no real problem but it is supposed to be a 5 star hotel.

Self parking in the hotel underground car park at C$25 per night seemed high.

Nightly turndown service is advertised but when it did not happen I was told by the duty manager that it is on request only. When asked where its states that (the quest information in the room clearly states that it is provided) he was evasive. Could this be a cost-cutting measure?

Breakafast not worth the cost so drove 1 mile up the road to a small cafe. Much more fun.

Although the view of the harbour from the room was nice the balcony was very small.

Conclusion: I will not return to this hotel.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 14 September 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights on our first trip to Victoria. This is an excellent hotel with very good service and clean modern rooms. There are less expensive options in the area (like the Royal Scot) but this hotel has at least two things going for it: the view and the fitness club. Sitting on the balcony available with the harbor view rooms, we very much enjoyed the view that really became our sense of Victoria, enjoying short sittings with in-room coffee and tea, morning, afternoon and night. The health club fitness facility is located inside the hotel at a lower level by the garage. It featured lots of cardio machines, weight machines, free weights and a 25-meter pool. This is a REAL fitness club with trainers and classes. If you like fdoing this kind of stuff when you travel, this was much bigger and nicer than you normally find. There is also a carry-out cafe that was great for a small breakfast or late night snack. Otherwise we didn't try any of the restaurants in the hotel because there re so many great food options within walking distance. Also, we didn't try the spa. I negotiated a better rate than was advertised on the hotel's internet site by calling the hotel direct. Then, when I made my flight arrangements via Air Canada's web site, I got an even better rate. The staff was helpful and friendly in canceling my original reservation when they got the one from Air Canada.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank Col_Mustard
Reviewed 3 September 2008

My wife and I were certainly not disappointed that we picked this hotel for our stay in Victoria. We had upgraded to a harbourview room which was well worth it with its beautiful view of the harbour especially enjoyed with the private balcony. The staff could not have been nicer and more helpful, especially the concierge, David, who recommended running routes for me, and arranged reservations at a wonderful local restaurant for us. We booked the Pacific Bliss package which included spa treatments. We visit spas often and found this to be one of the best we've been to. Staff made the treatments relaxing from the start. The receptionist even managed to accommodate my wife with an additional treatment by asking another appointment to simply come in slightly earlier. The location was handy to downtown shopping and activites, and yet close enough to take a lovely morning walk through the downtown streets to the ocean front. This was a wonderful facility that I would not only recommend, but plan to return to in the future.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple