“Potential Gem with a little extra effort”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Abbotsford, Canada
“Potential Gem with a little extra effort”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Our family stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in early August 2014.

Positives
=======
1. Location! Location! Location! You can't beat this location on the Victoria Harbour, Parliament Buildings and near the Royal British Columbia Museum and Fairmont Empress Hotel.
2.Ocean View! Most rooms have some form of ocean view.
3. I was able to obtain a room for a great rate (regular room rate was quite high).
4. Generally, the staff were very friendly and helpful.
5. Hotel was clean.
6. Large fitness center and large length pool in natural lit skylight along with sauna, jacuzzi and steam room.

Opportunities to Strengthen
======================
1. No reasonably priced restaurants on hotel site. I noticed a lot of the patrons went next door or off-site for food and couldn't help but think this was a lost opportunity for $$ for the hotel.
2. No extras - No free breakfast, no Happy Hour, no free cookies, snacks or bottled water. Other higher end hotels seem to offer this as standard now.
3. Although the hotel had bikes for free use by hotel guests (they were very hard to reserve), there always seemed to perpetually be bikes sitting at the hotel, unused. I inquired about this and the staff indicated they must keep the bikes available for the guests that reserved it (even if they hadn't shown up for hours for their specified time). The staff would not contact the guests to find out if they still wanted to use the bikes.
4. The Wifi was sporadic.

I would give this hotel a 5 if they addressed the noted issues, above.

Room Tip: If Wifi connectivity is important, make sure you make this clear to the staff when you check-in s so...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ValueforMoney_13
EmoryHaines, Owner at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and share your experience with our online community.

I am pleased that we were able to get your visit right on so many levels. We take pleasure in knowing that you enjoyed our close-to-it-all location and our service-oriented colleagues. Our Victoria Athletic Club, with its full-exercise gym, pools, 25-meters lap pool, whirlpool, steam room and squash court, is both the best private exercise club and hotel gym in the city.

I was surprised to hear that you felt that we lacked affordable dining options. I would like to highlight that we do offer a variety of dining options in the Hotel for breakfast. Our Room Service menu has a number of combination plates, the Pacific Restaurant offers a breakfast buffet which is the largest and most extensive option along with a selection of a la carte options ranging in price from $9 for lighter fare to a $13 - $16 range for full breakfasts. Additionally, we have our Courtyard Cafe on the Concourse level which offers breakfast sandwiches, pastries, oatmeal, egg dishes and parfaits for guests who are on the go or who prefer a less formal dining option. The average price of the breakfast items is $5.50. The Courtyard Cafe also offers lunch items, the most popular being our selection of Panini’s at $8.50 and Asian Rice Bowls at $7.50. The same culinary team who produce the meals in the Pacific Restaurant also prepare the offerings in the Courtyard Café. We have children’s options in both areas that are quite inexpensive.

We regularly complete comparisons between our menus and pricing and those of the hotels and restaurants surrounding us and have found that we are offering more choice than most and charging less than some of the well-known local restaurants on particular items! As you are aware all of our hotel guests receive coupons for discounted meals in both the Pacific Restaurant and the Courtyard Café.

I hope that I have made clear the many inexpensive dining options at the Hotel.

Our hotel also offers a number of packages that offer a number of options to save money and to meet our guests varied needs. I would like to highlight our Rise and Shine package which includes two buffet breakfasts daily and complimentary underground self-parking and our Family Deserves Best package includes a suite accommodation, two in-room movies, board games, in-room popcorn, licorice and chocolates, Silk Road tea and a microwave. Please ask for these and other packages if they suit you better than a room-only rate. Our pricing and perks are always competitive.

I am sorry to hear that you did not have the opportunity to enjoy a ride on one of our bicycles. It is a very popular amenity that we offer during the summer time. We are planning to acquire more bicycles in the following summer. Currently we have 4 bicycles that guests can reserve for one of the three different time slots daily: 9am-11:30am, 12noon-2:30pm and 3-5:30pm. When guests reserve a bicycle for a time slot, the guests are reserved for the entire time period, regardless of when they choose to use the bicycle. The bicycles will be given on a first come first serve basis from 7-9am and 5:30pm-dusk.

As for our Wi-Fi connection, we are excited to share with you that we have recently improved our Internet connection this summer. You will find that the Internet connection is at least five times faster and is more consistent throughout the hotel.

Thank you again for your review. Victoria is a wonderful city. I am glad that you were able to enjoy your stay here. I hope I have addressed the issues you noted above and we hope to have the privilege of serving you again.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was our second time at the Grand celebrating our anniversary. As always the staff were professional, friendly and very accommodating. Room was amazing with great views onto the harbor and we enjoyed a fantastic dinner in the restaurant.
Highly recommended...will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
James F, Director of Sales at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear guest,

I'm so happy to hear you chose us to celebrate your anniversary with. We hear a lot about how great our staff are, I'm glad they took such good care of you.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next anniversary, or even sooner.

Warm regards,

James Fry
Director, Sales and Marketing.
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the beautiful Hotel Grand Pacific for 2 nights. It is in an excellent location. We could walk to most all the sight seeing places. There were fun pubs and restaurants near by. The hotel had fantastic views. We could see and hear the water planes taking off so that was interesting, but they were quiet during sleep time. Next door was a hotel with a sports bar. Across the street was a Starbucks. 2 blocks away are a lot of restaurants, pubs and shopping. Hotel is very clean and modern. I'd stay there again!

1 Thank Sharon G
Caribbean
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We arrived via the Victoria Clipper from Seattle and the hotel is located about 5 minutes walk away. We had 5 pieces of luggage between two of us so it was a little struggle as we walked up to the hotel. Three bellmen stood outside by their desk watching us parade up the driveway...no-one came to help. Not sure what exactly they are there to do. Check in was efficient and friendly. I enrolled in the Iprefer reward program and got free internet and a harbour view which was much appreciated. The hotel is centrally located to everything. One particular day we tried to get afternoon tea but apparently you have to book this in advance but the server said we could have just scones and tea if we wanted. We were happy to do this and sat outside. After a few minutes another server came and told us that the Chef would have to make the scones so it would take about 20 minutes but if we wanted we could go to the courtyard cafe in the other wing and buy scones there. We left and went to the courtyard cafe to find that the scones were like no other scones I have seen and I am English. They were cranberry and date baps. At this point we gave up. We did have breakfast at the hotel one day and it was fine. We also used the Spa attached to the hotel. Staff here much more polite and friendly; massages were good. My feeling is that if you don't need to interact with staff then stay here for the room and central location. For service, go elsewhere.

1 Thank natmicstef
EmoryHaines, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

I want to apologize for the disappointment you experienced with the lack of service from the bellmen in assisting with your luggage upon arrival. A follow-up has been made with our team to ensure that we are providing guests with proactive service. We truly want you to feel well taken care of when you stay with us.

We had a team meeting to discuss your experience and our team was quite certain that they had told you that you were welcome for tea but as we make everything to order -without a reservation the wait would be 40 minutes. I apologize if you felt that this was not the message that you received. I am sorry to hear that you did not get to experience our fabulous afternoon tea in the Pacific restaurant. I would like to highlight that we serve our tea fresh – everything is baked to order. Hence we do recommend reservations for our afternoon tea. Our traditional scones in the restaurant are also baked to order to maintain their freshness. The scones offered in the café are not traditional scones like the ones offered in the restaurant-but they are available right away! I apologize for the server’s failure in informing you about this. A follow-up has been made with our team to ensure that guests are provided with full and proper information so they are able to make informed decisions.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our relaxing spa services and central location.

Thank you again for your thoughts. I hope that we see you again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Felt like we were staying on the set of an 80s American TV series. Everything was a bit run down, front desk staff were polite but I wouldn't say massively friendly. Gym and pool excellent. Our least favourite of the 4 places we stayed on our mini tour of BC.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your sharing your experience with our online community. Feedback such as yours can only help us in our ongoing efforts to create moments of truth with all of our guests.

I was very pleased to hear that that you enjoyed the Victoria Athletic Club. We feel that its facilities including our 25-meter lap pool, whirlpool, steam room, squash court and full exercise gym, offer the best hotel gym and private exercise club in the city.

We have shared your comments with our team as we pride ourselves on our award winning service and are concerned that we didn’t WOW you when you were here.

I apologize for the fatigue in our East Wing guestrooms but I am pleased to inform you we have scheduled a renovation in phases beginning in October of this year with the intention to complete the project in late 2015 or early 2016.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back in the near future.

Lancashire
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Arrived after booking our stay 8 months in advance to be told the room we had booked had been sold out ??...was told that the room we had selected could not be guaranteed though this was not mentioned on booking.
Made a complaint there and then to the hotel company and was impressed that it was responded to quickly and effectively.
We were in a one bedroomed Pacific Suite...had fabulous views from the front of the city and the harbour..two balconies and big bay windows.
The rooms could do with a make over and in parts the carpets were dusty and not vacuumed.
We were given complimentary breakfasts which were appreciated but I am glad they were complimentary as we found them to be quite poor ...the buffet breakfast would have cost us $300 for the three days and it would have annoyed me to have paid this...cold plates for hot breakfast food ??...slow service...not good to be honest.
The location of this hotel is great...only a couple of minutes walk to the hustle and bustle of the city.
I would stay here again...they just need to improve their rooms..and improve the dire breakfasts..

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
EmoryHaines, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

I was surprised to be reviewing your stay again as we had discussed your issues with you in detail while you were staying with us. I apologize, as we had not recorded your preferred bed type. We did not tell you that your room type was sold out but that on your first night of arrival we did not have your preferred bed type. In fact we offered, as an apology for the miscommunication, a room move the following day to the bed type you had requested which you declined and complimentary breakfasts for your family.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the prime location of our hotel and our balconies. We are the only hotel in downtown Victoria to provide a balcony with every room.

I am puzzled by your comments about dust and food pricing. I asked housekeeping to pay particular attention to your room and they assure me it was not dusty.
Additionally I would like to highlight that we do offer a variety of dining options in the Hotel for breakfast; the Pacific Restaurant offers a breakfast buffet which is the largest and most extensive option at $21.50 per person, along with a selection of a la carte options ranging in price from $9 for lighter fare to a $13 - $16 range for full breakfasts. Additionally, we have our Courtyard Cafe on the Concourse level which offers breakfast sandwiches, pastries, oatmeal, egg dishes and parfaits for guests who are on the go or who prefer a less formal dining option. The average price of these items is $6.50.
We are very price sensitive and a breakfast sandwich, piece of fruit and coffee can be had in the Courtyard Cafe on our concourse level for under $10.00. This type of inexpensive and informal dining is not something that most of our competitors offer in Victoria.

As a hotel that has built its reputation on service I am sorry that you felt that the prices were excessive. I hope I have made clear the many inexpensive dining options at the Hotel.
There are many other options available in Victoria on Sunday morning if you choose not to have breakfast with us. Please let us know next time and we will be happy to outline some of them for you.

As well I apologize for the fatigue in our East Wing guestrooms but I am pleased to inform you that we have scheduled a renovation in phases beginning in October of this year with the intention to complete the project in early 2016. In the meantime, our newer West Wing guestrooms are in great condition. As I mentioned, and as you are aware, we did offer you a move to one of our newer West Wing Guestrooms. We make every possible effort to secure guests the room that meets their needs.

We hope to have the pleasure of having you stay with us again in the near future.

north carolina
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Enjoyed our stay at the Grand Pacific. Its located in the main waterfront area. We arrived on Kenmoore Air and walked over the the Hotel. I enrolled in the IPrefer hotel rewards to receive the extra benefits during our stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends