“Very Disappointed”

Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Victoria, Canada
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My husband and I decided to stay at the Grand Pacific for the evening—to celebrate our belated anniversary. We often pick hotels we haven’t stayed at close to home as we both have very busy work schedules. We both have been at the Grand Pacific for meetings, etc. but this was our first over night stay.

The property is beautiful. However, we were disappointed in the service level of the staff and room.

Upon arrival to our room, we had a back facing room with two twin beds. Upon booking the grand room with ocean and mountain views, we specified that it was our anniversary and we would like a king size bed. I called the front desk and was told I would get a call back. After 20 minutes of waiting with our bags unpacked I called again. This time I was told there were no rooms available. I then asked for the manager who did find us a king size bed but the room was very very dark and had only a view of the hotel behind us. The bathroom also had a very strong smell of urine and the toilet didn't flush well. To add insult to the entire experience we received a call around 30 minutes upon arriving (5:30 pm) at our second room with a noise complaint - which wasn't coming from our room.

We did receive a free voucher for dessert which we both don't eat. I think a complimentary upgrade would have been a lot better considering it was our anniversary.

We left this morning feeling very disappointed with our stay. It was the first time in years we have be disappointed in a Victoria area hotel, resort, spa, etc.

It is a beautiful property with stunning views (if only we were able to experience them other than from the quick elevator ride.

Room Tip: We booked a grand room (not so grand) with ocean and mountain views. The only view we had was of th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lporayko
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Further to our email discussion (before you posted your comment on Tripadvisor), I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We will review the alleged odour in the room and we will be more careful with isolating noise complaints involving other guests.

In my email to you, I informed you that your Expedia reservation requested a non-smoking room with one bed. You gave no information about your wedding anniversary.

I went on to say that when you checked into the Hotel you announced to the Guest Service Agent that it was your anniversary and you asked for a room with a view or an upgrade. Unfortunately, we were unable to provide a complimentary upgrade to a view room because the Hotel was sold out.

I then asked you the following question: Did you expect the Hotel to downgrade a another guest that has paid for their view room and upgrade your room at no charge? You did not reply. Instead, you posted on Tripadvisor.

Please know that we do the best we can with all of our special occasion requests, subject to availability.

I see that you received our complimentary dessert vouchers to acknowledge your anniversary but you did not use them. I also offered you a complimentary upgrade for your next stay but you did not reply.

I sincerely feel that under the circumstances, the Hotel did everything it could to accommodate you and your husband. I am sorry that you do not feel the same.

I would be more than happy to discuss this or any other topic at your convenience. Please contact me 250-380-4452.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Reid James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed with our teenage daughter. We Loved the high floor room and the balcony looking over the harbor. Very comfortable and clean. Big double queen room with sitting room. Dated, yes, but charming! Close to everything. It was a great value!

Stayed August 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for the first few days of our honeymoon, and we couldn't have chosen a better place! The location is ideal, overlooking the inner harbour and right next to the parliament building. It is only a 5-10 minute walk to fisherman's wharf for the whale-watching companies, and also slap in the heart of downtown. The staff are lovely, very helpful and polite. The gym and swimming pool are excellent, though very popular in the mornings, and the food (we had breakfast) is very nice. You can also have use of bicycles at no extra charge for a couple of hours, which was brilliant for exploring a little further afield! The rooms were very comfortable and clean, and had everything that anyone would need for a wonderful stay. I wouldn't say that it was cheap here, but compared to the Fairmont over the road it represents exceptional value for money, and you feel that it was money well-spent. All in all, a first class establishment and we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and again (and are planning to for our next holiday in Canada!)

Room Tip: The higher the better, and choose a harbour-view suite
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We just spent the weekend at the Grand Pacific and came away very impressed. The location versus the room cost and room quality is the best in Victoria. Walking distance to everything, but a little to the side of the hubbub of downtown. Especially noteworthy were the staff. Although a mid price hotel, the staff were uniformly exceptional in their professionalism and engagement with guests. This reminded me of what seems to largely be a by-gone era, where big city hotel guests were actually made to feel special and that hospitality was part of the experience. You cannot go wrong in staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a Harbor view upgrade to a 1-bedroom suite.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Cartagena
Reviewed 21 August 2014

For me was a special place, very romantic, decoration style, personal.
the location is perfect. we came by ferry and was just perfect in front of the hotel.
just walk distance to everywhere.
i could recommend this option to any one.
rooms was perfect.

Room Tip: try to get a front view. mine was back and just a garden view. the rest is perfect.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Concord, California
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Participated on the Victoria Dragon Boat Festival for the first time, and Hotel Grand Pacific helped made the my stay a memorable experience. This modern luxurious hotel is located right on the harbor and the Seattle Ferry is just located right across the street. All the main attractions of Victoria and great restaurants are just short walking distance away. The staff is friendly and very helpful. Guests have free access of the pool with sauna, steam room, as well as the health club which was great in keeping yourself in shape. This is an excellent hotel and I will definitely stay here again when I come back to Victoria.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Markham, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Checked into this hotel with no problems. Concierge was so quick and helpful. We had no idea what kind of room we were getting until we got into our double doored room. Wow who knew. Our room had a his and hers double sink, living room with separate doors and a private bedroom with French doors. I'm so impressed. Now for the little details. I'm real picky when it comes to teas/coffee in my hotel room and this hotel got it right on the money. They offer 2 types of tea, organic English breakfast and Organic green tea sencha (my favorite and #1 on my tea list). I hate going to hotels where they offer you cheap Lipton teas and their green tea has some weird mix of lemon. Keep It simple impresses me. All I have to say is excellent hotel with a great location. You can walk everywhere by the pier from here. The hotel amenities are excellent with a full equipped gym, towel service and swimming pool + sauna.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends