“Great location”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 4 September 2014 via mobile

We recently enjoyed a 2 night stay at this hotel. The room was small but certainly adequate. The water pressure in the shower was a pleasant surprise. The location of the hotel was perfect. We were close enough to enjoy walking all through the wharf and downtown area. This was my second stay at this hotel and I would recommend it.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gail042014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,171)

Reviewed 3 September 2014

Our family was stayed at the hotel on Aug 21, at the next morning, my husband lost consciousness probably from the heat exhaustion, or dehydration in the pool area. Thanks goodness there was a doctor near by. He quickly ran over checking my husband pause and trying to keep him stay awake. He kept talking to my husband and told people around what need to be done. He stayed with my husband until the Medic team came. He passed on all the info to the team and disappeared. Finally, my husband opened his eyes and started talking.Whew!
We have tried to find the doctor name at least to say thank you for saving my husband life. We even asked the hotel Manager and was told that "the doctor" also a guess and they didn't know which room he was staying. We asked around and someone told us that they heard that doctor was from Porland, Oregon, but still don't know his name. So..."Dr. Oregon", if you are reading this, please accept our greatly appreciation and a BIG WARM THANK YOU from bottom of our hearts. Hopefully, we will be able to meet and thanks YOU in person someday.
Last but not least, our special thanks for the whole friendly staff for their quick response. Thank you ALL for saving my husband life. (The hotel Manager even gave us vouchers for breakast that morning). We definetely staying at the hotel again. Very comfortable, great staff. God Bless!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tracy8102002
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear Guest,

I am both relieved that your husband is okay and that there was a doctor available to revive him. I was in the Athletic Club when the episode occurred so I saw how the doctor and his spouse helped the Hotel respond to the situation. The BC Ambulance service and the Victoria Fire Department did a good job as well.

As it turns out, the doctor was not staying in the Hotel but we managed to locate him to offer our thanks and appreciation for his assistance. I will contact him and send him your Tripadvisor post so that he knows how grateful you are.

Thank you for your kind words about the Hotel.

Take good care and please give my warm regards to your husband.

Please feel free to contact me at 1-800-663-7550.

Kind regards,

Reid James

Reviewed 3 September 2014

This was the second time we have stayed here. The first was in June and the second at the end of August. Both times have been great . The only drawback was that the same room was quite a bit more expensive because of their "high" season. They do allow dogs which is nice as we had ours with us.
The location is fantastic as you are right on the harbour and walking distance to everything downtown. So if you have an extra beer at dinner you don't have to worry. Plus the horse drawn carriages are right on the corner so you can take them for a longer journey.
Had a great time and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Farenheit451
Reviewed 3 September 2014

We stayed at this hotel, however we booked it through "Expedia" . We specifically asked "Expedia" for a king bed, when we checked in, the front desk staff gave us a Queen, we then explained we were booked with a king. Nothing they can do about that as they tell us they book primarily for views, not beds! Our Queen bed had a plywood board between the box and mattress, this did not help, as my husband and I both ended up in the deep middle. We asked for this to be looked into before the next night's rest......nothing. The room was well accommodated, bathroom well stocked and clean.

The view was a 4'x4' deck with plastic resin chairs, and you got a really nice view of the hotel roof next door. Great location!

Room Tip: You might get better service if you book directly with the hotel and not an on line service like we...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hebbvillefoodie
EmoryHaines, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Comments such as yours can only help us serve all of our guests better.

We do take preferences for bed-configurations, but we currently do not guarantee one or the other. This works well for most of our guests and we do everything we can to make sure the guest is informed of this during the booking process, even when the reservation is booked through a third-party channel. We always recommend booking directly with the hotel.

I gather that you had asked for a board for the bed and apologize that it was not further adjusted as you had requested. I find this extremely disappointing as you must have and apologize as we have clearly failed to train our staff adequately. I have shared your comments with our team. I wish that you had let us know when you were here that your request was not looked into. We make every effort to exceed guest expectations.

We have a variety of room types with many different views. I hope that you let us know what type of view you were looking for when you were here so that we could find the room view that met your needs.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to further discuss your stay at 1-800-663-7550.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,
Emory Haines
Director of Operations

Reviewed 2 September 2014

Lovely room and services. Our only complaint is the room key needed replaced x3 - it did not open the door ..all else beautiful
Recommend for travelers with families as there is a great pool.
Very easy walk from The Victoria Clipper terminal.

• Stayed: September 2014
1  Thank Patti G
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Great location on the harbour and activities. We were on floor five with a balcony and view of the harbour and Empress Hotel for three nights.
The hop on hop of buses to Butchard Gardens and tours are in front of the Empress Hotel.
The room had everything you would expect of a good four star hotel. A good breakfast is served in the hotel but go for the buffet, if you go for the regular menu you will be surprised. Five dollars for a juice and four dollars for a coffee.
A great resto in the town is 10 Acres, good food and service.

AN UNPLEASANT SURPRISe in the hotel was having a German Shepard dog on the same floor although on a leash wanted to enter my room. I have never ever experienced that before.

The last day our room had not been made by 3.00PM so I went and asked for clean towels.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view with balcony, it's worth the extra. SPECiFICALLY ask for a pet free floo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Keith J

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your balcony, our close-to-all location and our breakfast buffet. We are the only hotel in downtown Victoria to provide a balcony with every room. Victoria is a beautiful city. Being located right in the heart of the city, the balconies provide a perfect vantage point to watch the comings and goings of the inner harbour and the city.

We regularly complete comparisons between our menus and pricing and those of the hotels and restaurants surrounding us and have found that we are offering more choice than most and charging less than some of the well-known local restaurants on particular items! As you are aware all of our hotel guests receive coupons for discounted meals in both the Pacific Restaurant and the Courtyard Café. Please note that the coffee price includes refills and we are the only hotel in the city to serve organic, frog friendly and fair trade coffee in our dining room.

I am quite sorry that a dog tried to enter your room. Fortunately the dog was on-leash which is according to our pet policy. We do indeed have some pet-friendly rooms (as do most hotels) on the fifth-floor which your room was on. We only allow on dog per room and the dog must be under 40 lbs. I have updated your profile to always assign you to a room that is not on a pet-friendly floor.

Our housekeeping service is here everyday until 5pm for full-service. We do take requests for services at particular times that guests choose. So please let us know next time if you would care for an earlier room service.

We look forward to having you stay with us again and accommodate you on a pet-free floor.

Regards,

Emory Haines
Director of Operations

Reviewed 2 September 2014

How nice to arrive and hear that you have been given "A bit of an upgrade." Yes! Overlooking the Parliament Building. And, roomier than what we planned on, with a small balcony. Efficient, friendly, professional staff. Convenient, walk off the Black Ball Ferry across the street and into the hotel lobby. Day 2 of our stay, we'll see how the hotel food tastes.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple