“My other favourite hotel”
Review of Abigail's Hotel

Abigail's Hotel
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Monmouth, United Kingdom
“My other favourite hotel”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Abigail's is in a leafy part of Victoria, close enough to walk comfortably to the centre but far enough away to be quiet. Importantly there is plenty of space in the car park. As soon as we entered the lobby I felt relaxed and at home; we were warmly welcomed and check-in was followed by a brief tour of the homely and immaculate public rooms; everything is designed for maximum comfort. Our large bedroom was equally lovely and well appointed; alas the spacious and elegant bathroom suffers slightly as all boutique hotel bathrooms do, insofar as the designers never seem to consider the end user; in this case a sensible shower screen means you can't put in the bath plug without physically getting into the bath, and it's really difficult to reach the taps to top up the hot water - say - once you're in the bath. But these are small functionality issues of 'over design' that - as I say - seem to come with all boutique hotel bathrooms. We enjoyed the drinks and nibbles served in the library at 5 every evening, which gave us an opportunity to sound out the other guests. Proper fresh orange juice at breakfast was a treat. On the first day there was nothing on the breakfast menu to suit our unadventurous British palates but Chef rustled up perfect bacon and poached eggs. Eggs Benedict, followed by coconut waffles with caramelised pineapple, vanilla cream and maple syrup surely constituted my 'dream breakfast' on Day 2. There are so many good places to eat nearby that it is no surprise Abigail's doesn't do evening meals, although reception staff will gladly organise food to be brought in for you. Like my other favourite hotel (in Ayrshire, Scotland) Abigail's is intimate and friendly and staff make it clear in a subtle way that guests' needs are paramount. Add to the mix the location and the quality of the accommodation and I don't imagine there's a nicer place to stay in Victoria.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel, chef, staff, and spa love what they do and it shows. Customer service is outstanding. I can't say enough about the little things that make this hotel so special. We booked an Amethyst room and were pleasantly surprised upon arrival (we were upgraded to an Emerald room). Our room was very comfortable, beautiful and clean. The property is gorgeous, well maintained, and in a perfect location (10 minute walk from downtown). The food options are well thought out to cater to different appetites and taste. Every meal we had was delicious and satisfying. The staff is extremely helpful, friendly and approachable. The spa was a wonderful surprise. We had the feet retreat on our last day, and could not believe how amazing it was. The treatment was affordable and was one of the best things we did on our trip, highly recommended way to end a week of walking and touring. If you want to be looked after on your holiday, this is the place!

1 Thank Edith V
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Abigail's is a very special place. It was a bit of a splurge but having stayed there, I would gladly sacrifice something else to include a stay again at Abigail's in the future. Can't claim to have discovered it myself, as a relative clued me in on their charm. It's not a bed and breakfast, but rather a boutique hotel, and the entire staff is polite, helpful and friendly. My first breakfast in their dinning room with their private chef, was enough to get my day started on the right track. As if Abigail's isn't enough, when you explore the city of Victoria, you'll know you've hit upon a gem of a vacation spot. We will certainly recommend Abigail's to our friends and hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Use the front desk staff for any travel questions. They are knowledgeable and willing to research a...
Upland
Reviewed 20 May 2014

When I read reviews I like the "to the point" reviews. You will not be disappointed in any way with this lovely hotel. One of the best we have ever experienced. So look no further and book Abigail's before you are too late. I would give more than five stars if available, just couldn't have been a better place to relax.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We spent three nights at the Abigail and it was a beautiful hotel. The breakfast was especially fantastic with lots of choice. The service was very good. There were lots of friendly people at the hotel with great ideas of things to do.

We were on the top floor in the Sapphire Room which was a good size with an amazing bed. You actually had to step up to it. The bathroom was large and had a great two person bathtub. We loved the tub however the plug was out and had to be put in each time so I literally had to get into the bathtub to put the stopper in. Showering was a bit of an adventure because of the angles of the tub. Hard to describe; just know it would not be easy if you are not a very mobile person. I climbed around a lot.

The location of the hotel is very good. As many have said, it is walking distance from the city and makes wandering around very easy.

I guess I have a couple comments that take it from 5 to 4 for me. There is no gym area which I know is very common for a boutique hotel. Sometimes there just isn't room. There is no view of the water. I am landlocked most of the years so I think when I come back to Victoria, I would like to wake up to a view of the ocean.

Overall, the service was very attentive and the ladies schlepping our luggage up all of those stairs was admirable and impressive. I would recommend the hotel if you did not want a water view.
Restaurant recommendations were excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JECan
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed from a Sunday to Tuesday. Our room was on the second floor, which is what we would call in the USA the third floor of the main building. The check-in was pleasant and we were able to get into the room earlier than we thought would be possible. We had taken the Victoria Clipper from Seattle and the boat arrives about 11:00am, so we were at Abigail's before noon. We walked into the inner harbor area and had dinner and we also walked backed to the hotel. Maybe it was just a long day, but it seemed like a long walk (about 30 minutes) from leaving dinner to arriving at Abigail's. There were canapés left over from their evening "happy hour" but we just went to bed.

The next morning we were served a really wonderful breakfast. We had short-rib soufflé which was a first for us. There were also pancakes or cereal available, homemade scones, muffins, or croissants, and coffee or tea. It would have been a nice touch to have fresh-squeezed orange juice, but it was just regular and not too exciting.

On the second evening, we were in the library for cocktail hour. The canapés were cheeses, salami, left-over scones and croissants from breakfast. The desk receptionists came to take out order for cocktails, and she literally measured out the shot, looked it over carefully, and then poured it into the glass. It wasn't even up to the line, but oh well... Cocktails and wine are not included in the price, but that was understood, so no worries.

One additional point is that the shower is inside the claw-foot tub. My husband had no trouble stepping out, but for anyone 5'5" or shorter, it was a LONG STEP from inside the tub to the floor.

The house is very nice, the rooms are comfortable, the staff are very friendly and want to please, the breakfast was delicious but I probably won't be back. It was a long walk into the inner. We have stayed at the Empress and the Grand Pacific and both would have been a better choice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Abigails_GM, General Manager at Abigail's Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Susan M,

Thank you for the review on our property and for sharing your experience with this community. We appreciate the overall high marks for which you have awarded us.

I am delighted to read that you were able to check-in expeditiously three hours prior to our actual check-in time, that our rooms were very comfortable and that our staff was friendly and helpful. Thank you for the praise on our breakfast as well. I fondly remember the short-rib soufflé that morning and am glad it was appreciated by our guests alike.

In regards to a few of the criticisms in your review please allow me to dispel any misconceptions:

We do serve fresh squeezed orange juice, however it is a seasonal offering and is dependent on the availability of good quality oranges. We start our fresh squeezed orange juice service towards the end of May as they are just now arriving with acceptable quality and availability.

In regards to measuring our liquor pour, yes this is indeed a financial control that I enforce (apologies, we are a family of accountants that own and operate Abigail’s). Please know that the shot glasses used to measure our pours are 1.5 ounce glasses in size however our pours are based on a per ounce basis. So if you saw one of our staff ‘not measure to the line at the top’ there was good reason for it as they were measuring to the 1.0 ounce line.

Finally, the expression that you would not return to stay with us is saddening but also understandable in light of the fact that there seemed to be a misalignment of expectations in regards to our location and for us not being in the Inner Harbour. We are approximately 3 small blocks away from the waterfront, or a 10 minute walk at a normal pace, which Google Maps will verify. We believe our location to be an asset as our close proximity to the harbour gives you the option of being there in short order but also allows you to escape the high traffic area should you desire. The 30 minute walk that you discuss is disconcerting and leads us to believe that perhaps a missed turn may have occurred.

I sincerely thank you again for your patronage and we wish you the safest of travel. Should you desire to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Warm regards,

Nick Saklas
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 May 2014

For our first trip to Victoria, we chose Abigail's Hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews. Though the reviews made the hotel sound fabulous, I must say that Abigail's even managed to EXCEED our expectations. Such a beautiful and romantic place. Everyone at Abigail's was extremely friendly and welcoming. The breakfast (included in cost) was 100% delicious. Though we were only able to stay one (much too short) night to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, we will most certainly be back to celebrate again.

We stayed in an Opal Room (#1B) in the main hotel. Nice view overlooking the front of the hotel, large bathroom with jetted soaking tub, fireplace w/ sitting area, THE most comfortable bed on the planet. Cozy and clean. The perfect place for a couple's getaway---leave the kiddos at home.

Room Tip: We stayed in an Opal Room (#1B) in the main hotel. Nice view overlooking the front of the hotel, la...