“We loved our stay at Abigail's”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Abigail's Hotel

Abigail's Hotel
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Long Island, New York
“We loved our stay at Abigail's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

Abigail's is a wonderful place to stay when visiting Victoria. Everything was perfect, our spacious room with fireplace, the amazing breakfasts, and great afternoon refreshments. Each afternoon we enjoyed sitting in the courtyard with a glass of wine sharing delicious and innovative appetizers. Everyone who worked at this charming Inn could not have been more accomodating, always available if you need help with dinner reservatons, directions, or any other suggestions during your stay. If we have a chance to return to Victoria, we would not consider staying anywhere else.

2 Thank Tommy-Tbone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

If you are looking for perfection and charm, look no further. My husband and I just returned from our 2 night stay at Abigail’s and couldn’t be happier with our choice. It was our 3 yr wedding anniversary and we were so pleased with Abigail’s elegance and charm that we will, without a doubt, be returning for our 4th. The staff were very helpful and welcoming and our room was spacious and beautifully decorated. We found the location ideal. It was away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown traffic and loud seaplanes on the harbor but still within a short walking distance of the main attractions and shopping area. Everything from the beautiful décor, the large soaker tub, the free parking, quiet location to the amazing breakfast exceeded our expectations. We can’t say enough about this wonderful hotel/B&B. A previous reviewer mentioned the absence of a balcony, we didn’t feel the need for one as we enjoyed a quiet table in the private gardens in the hotel’s court yard one evening and indulged in the most delicious chocolate covered strawberries we’ve ever tasted the other. We would highly recommend this hotel/B&B, its unique old world charm should not be missed!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Cumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

My wife and I stayed at Abigail’s Hotel for a two night get away over the labour day long weekend and were thrilled with our stay. We arrived on Friday afternoon and were greeted by Nick, the general manager, upon check in. He gave us an excellent tour of the property and then showed us our wonderful room. Abigails is a 1930’s heritage property that has been elegantly converted to a hotel. It retains the “little England” feel of Victoria while offering all of the modern amenities a boutique hotel should. My wife and I loved the décor and spent a quiet first night enjoying our room after a great dinner at a restaurant on the waterfront. My wife particularly enjoyed the large jetted soaker tub and I got to watch my favorite football team play to victory on the flat screen TV. I was also very interested to see that our room had a real wood burning fireplace! Unfortunately (or fortunately from my wife’s perspective) the weather was nowhere near cool enough to take advantage of this feature. I guess we will have to arrange for another visit over the winter months to take advantage of this amenity!

In addition to the great service all around provided by the helpful staff, the breakfast should be singled out as truly amazing. My wife and I had talked to other people that had stayed at Abigail’s previously and were told that the breakfasts were incredible, but I did not expect it to be that good! Matt, the head chef, who cooks the breakfast, does an amazing job and the food is outstanding. I would highly recommend anyone who stays at Abigails ensure they don’t miss the breakfast as it would truly be a shame to miss out on indulging in such great food. I also liked the custom breakfast menu’s created every morning with the weather forecast, temperature,. etc. on the back so you could plan your attire for the day accordingly.

Overall, my wife and I were very pleased with our stay and would recommend this property to all of our friends. We would also like to thank staff members Chris, April and Matt for making our stay truly memorable, we hope to come back and see you soon!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

My mother, sister and I went to Victoria for a night and adored this historic boutique hotel! The staff was fantastic. Diane, Front Office Manager, gave me some 2010 Winter Olympic Canadian coins after I mentioned my husband was a collector. Nick, General Manager, made sure we had everything we needed and that we truly enjoyed our stay. Colleen arranged a delightful and very entertaining horse drawn carriage ride that toured the city and then dropped us off at Brio's for my mom's birthday dinner. What a wonderful place to eat (Thank You Colleen)! Upon entering our "Country Room," we had beautiful music playing and were delighted with the basket of wine and cookies. I must say, I fell in love with the gorgeous bath tub/shower. Abigail's Hotel also had an inviting library where you could choose from several wines where we enjoyed a quick game of scrabble. We slept like babies and had a savory breakfast before checking out. The location was a quick walk from some great shopping. I can't wait to bring my husband for a visit. 5 Stars!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
El Dorado Hills, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

If only you could pick up Abigail's and move it to a different surrounding area with lush gardens and perhaps a waterfall to add to the ambiance! It would be absolutely perfect. We have no complaints with the hotel amenities and rooms, the extremely hospitable staff and the quality of the breakfasts and afternoon hors d,oeuvres. Parking is a little tight, but the harbour and downtown are within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

An old time hotel with tight, and fairly drab, rooms...at least ours was. The library is pleasant, but almost everything is up a tight flight of stairs. The help is enthusiastic and friendly, but seniors should be aware of the stairs. The breakfast room is charming, and the breakfast is superb. The location is drab, and the walk to the harbor area is great going down, but not so great coming back. All in all, and OK place to stay.

2 Thank wallybaloo
abigailshotel, General Manager at Abigail's Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2010
Dear Wallybaloo,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. The staff, management and owners of our property all strive to ensure that our guests have a pleasant experience. We think of ourselves as a family and we try and relay that feeling to all of our guests. If concerns are vocalized to us, we try to be as accommodating as possible – including, but not limited to, quick shuttles to a nearby destination or a review of room alternatives.

With respect to your comment about our rooms being “drab”, we have a variety of unique rooms over five different categories. All of our rooms have their own distinct furnishings, finishing, chair setups, bath tub/shower types, dimensions, etc. If ever in doubt about the particulars of our rooms, we are happy to discuss these matters personally by phone or show you where they can be found on our website.

Concerning our location being “drab”, while we are not a view property, we offer something that is rather exceptional to downtown Victoria: close proximity to the inner harbour (roughly three blocks / 10 minute walk) yet at the end of a residential cul-de-sac that makes for a much less noisy experience than you would find closer to the harbour (buses, sea-planes, street noise, etc). We often receive much praise for our location as we’re central to the majority of attractions that Victoria has to offer yet peaceful and quiet at the same time.

Lastly, with respect to our stairs, unfortunately we’re a heritage property with significant space constraints that do not currently permit us to have an elevator. Our Main House has three storeys and our Coach House has two. We are in the process of launching a new website and I will ensure this point is stressed as a notice for future guests. Notwithstanding this fact, we have one ground floor unit, our Country Garden Room, which is often desirable for those that have mobility restrictions.

Thank you again for your feedback and I wish you safe travels.

Nick S.
Abigail’s Hotel
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

I did not find Abigail's Hotel particularly appealing from the outside, but the furnishings and decorations inside are very comfortable. We liked the "library" area where we enjoyed the complimentary tea and browsed the guide books, and also the aperitifs.
We were booked into the honeymoon suite and, as someone else has observed, there was no sign of the "honeymoon gift" and the room wasn't really a suite as it is advertised but was still very comfortable. The bathroom featured a double size jet tub which was great, and the bed was so high you needed a step to climb up! It was a shame that we had a large stained glass window that we couldn't cover though as we were awake at 6am...
Breakfast was yummy and kept us going til the afternoon, although the coffee could have used a bit more punch.

1 Thank TeamAl
abigailshotel, General Manager at Abigail's Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2010
Thank you for your comments, good or bad we monitor all external reviews to ensure that we are exceeding our guests’ expectations or implementing suggestions to improve future experiences with us. We will certainly heed the comments you’ve made in this review.

Two particular issues that I’d like to address regarding your feedback:

1. When booking indirectly with us (i.e. through an online travel website), there is no opportunity for a guest to specify an “occasion” such as a honeymoon, it must be done through a generic comment field, which often goes unused. Thus, we can sometimes be in the dark on travel occasions until the time of check-in.

2. To my knowledge, we do not advertise any of our rooms as suites. If you have seen an external website that indicates the contrary please let me know as I would like to rectify this. I completely agree that while our honeymoon rooms are indeed deluxe rooms (vaulted ceilings, antique chandeliers, two person jetted tubs, king sized four post beds recessed into wall alcoves, etc.) they are not suites.

Please feel free to correspond directly with us at innkeeper@abigailshotel.com

Best regards,