Spinnakers Brewpub and Guesthouses
Hotel Rialto(Victoria)
US$214
US$204
  • Restaurant
Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites(Victoria)
US$244
US$216
Abigail's Hotel
US$302
US$288
All reviewsheritage housebrew pubguest housecomplimentary beertruffle tastingchocolate trufflesbeer flightmushroom pizzaexcellent beercraft beerchowderbaked goodshalibutantique furnituresconesgarden suitegranola
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Spinnakers is an awesome value with unexpected charm. The $260 Dine in package was well worth the money with one of the best meals I've ever experienced; the additional two nights of our stay for just $99 a night was icing on the cake. The rustic charm of the antique furniture, bedroom fireplace and soaker tub made it the perfect honeymoon escape. The breakfast service of fresh muffins and scones were over the top. When people talk about location being everything Spinnakers has a lock on the market with seaside dining, walking access to the harbor and downtown and easy access to trails for hiking and biking.
When it comes to dining you'll be hard pressed to find an unexceptional meal on the menu whether you decide to eat in the downstairs restaurant or the "cozy" upstairs pub. Be warned however; the 3-course meal will fill you beyond full and the chocolate pudding has to be consumed in its entirety; even if you have to take it back to your room to finish. Decadent!!!
Thank you Judy, Rebecca and Kelsey (sp?) for being so helpful, attentive and informed; you make Spinnakers!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this bed and breakfast. Room 2 in the guesthouse. I lounged around in my white cuddly complimentary housecoat, and had a bath with the jets. The fireplace was a nice touch. The elegance and attention to detail was soothing. Noise wasn't a concern. The breakfast in the morning came in a nice basket with everything I had ordered. I wish there had been some milk for the granola however. I enjoyed the complimentary beer & chocolate tasting at the restaurant. Wi-fi worked well and I aim to take my girlfriend for a runaway there real soon. I would and have recommended this spot to my friends already

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Nice place, a bit hot on the top floor even in March. Nice breakfast of home baked muffins and scones

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Spinnakers for our honeymoon this march for 2 nights.

We paid quite a high rate at approx $260 per night for our Dine In package which included a three course dinner, breakfast for the 2 nights stay, a cheese plate and a beer & truffle tasting.

The garden suite we stayed in was in need of an update. The carpets and furnishings were old, and bathroom needed to be completely remodelled (outdated soaker tub and plumbing which would change the water temperature back and forth from scalding hot to ice cold).

The cheese plate we received was a dissapointment as well as the three course meal. However the breakfasts of home made granola were decent and the craft beer was delicious. Also, the views and location are beautiful.

Another thing that upset me was the fact that no one acknowledged that we were on our honeymoon even though I told the staff upon booking.

I wouldn't stay at Spinnakers again unless these issues were addressed (i.e. pricing, updating, food quality). However, I recieved an email back from Claire Radosevic (front desk & marketing manager) saying that she was immediately looking into updating the suites and that she would pay for our next stay if we decided to come to Spinnakers again for a second try.

I will post a new review once we have had our second stay to let people know if the conditions improved.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at Spinnakers as part of a kid-free vacation. As a whole, it was a really enjoyable experience--although this is not for everyone! If you like non-corporate, quirky places, this is for you. I found the staff really accomodating--if there's something you don't like, let them know and they will try to fix it.

We loved the breakfasts (I don't know what they do to the scones, but they are magical), the large bathroom and the fact that it had a fan, the giant tub, and the wood-burning fireplace. The wifi was a plus, and on a morning when I needed to get some work done (unfortunately) and it was acting up they let me sit in the restaurant and use the wifi there before they opened. I know in a previous review someone complained about the breakfasts, but that person must be crazy or the breakfasts must have improved immensely, because everything they brought to our room was delicious. I do wish there had been some sugar for my coffee. Maybe I just missed it?

We had a package that gave us a discounted rate for 2 of our nights plus a meal at the restaurant and beer/chocolate tasting. It was a great value, and the food was delicious. Try the pub cheese--it is wonderful! I also enjoyed the meat pie and roasted vegetables. The restaurant tries to support local agriculture and farming, which I also appreciated.

Be aware this is not in downtown Victoria, but the walk (at least as long as the blue bridge is still there) is doable.

Suggestions for improvement:
1. The bed was not all that comfortable. I find most hotels have very firm mattresses, and I'm not a fan. They obviously had tried to fix this by putting a foam mattress topper thing on the bed, but I still found it too firm.
2 . Post something to let guests know how to operate the jets in the jacuzzi tubs. I thought ours was broken and was happy just to soak in a big tub, but when I mentioned it to the staff I found out there was a 2nd switch I needed to flip on. I had no clue! Unfortunately, I didn't get another chance to use the tub.
3. Guests: select your room wisely. I found the photos online to be extremely accurate. What I did not count on was the noise from the road, which was only really an issue in the early morning. If you want to sleep late, choose a room at the back of the house or bring some earplugs.

I would love to return to Spinnakers again in the future! Next time, though, I will choose a room in the back of the house. :)

Room Tip: Look at the website--the photos are very accurate. There is traffic on the road in front of the house and some sort of construction business across the street, so trucks are on the road fairly early. If you're up around 7, no problem. If you want to sleep later, go for something toward the back of the house. Check the website for specials!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple