All reviewsbrew pubfull kitchenloft bedroomgreat beerdifferent beerscraft beerwithin walking distancepub downstairsmain levelliving areawell equipped kitchenpull out couchdowntown victoriacharming hotelthe staff was friendly and helpfulstayed one nightsitting room
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We were initially surprised at the Swans Suite, as it is located near lots of construction and had a very small reception area. However, once we went to our room we were amazed. It is huge, has every accommodation, and we loved our stay there. The kitchen with all amenities made it easy to cook and stay there when we chose. It is a beautifully restored building with original art throughout, and connected to a wonderful bar/restaurant. Parking is down the street, easily accessible. Walking distance to downtown Victoria is easy and a beautiful avenue.

Room Tip: The only downside is that the bathroom is downstairs, necessitating managing lots of stairs in the middle of the night, if so needed!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
at_Swans, Front Office Manager at Swans Hotel & Brewpub, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for the great review. We do have many things being built in our neighbourhood right now but we are happy that this is not affecting our guests once they are inside the hotel. Thank you again for your feedback I am always happy to hear we have met your expectations. We do have several rooms without stairs and bathrooms on the upper level. Please do not hesitate to request these suites when you return.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is a cute hotel, close to everything and with a very helpful and friendly front desk staff, It is not a good place for seniors with mobility issues as there are stairs up to the bedrooms and, at least in the room we stayed in, #303, the one bedroom is up and the one bathroom is down, so not convenient for some. There is a nice pub/restaurant below which serves pretty good fare.

Now for the bad. We spent 3 nights here in early October. Upon returning to our home, we discovered that one very nice nightgown had been left behind. Custom-made in 1994 in Venice of white cotton and hand-made lace, this knee-length nightgown was very treasured.

When we discovered OUR negligence (leaving it behind), the hotel manager was contacted by email. Having had no response to the email, she was then phoned and spoken with 3 days later, and again 4 days after that as we still had not received a phone call back from her. Needless to say, the answers we were given were not what we wished to hear - namely, no nightgown.

Apparently, it just disappeared. Left behind by our own negligence, but handled very poorly by the hotel manager who didn't even respond to the first email once received. So terrible PR on the hotel's part . We certainly take responsibility for the carelessness of leaving it behind (and we do KNOW that we left it behind), but really didn't expect that it would 'go missing', never to be seen again. Not what one expects from a good hotel.

For this reason, while I stand by the good comments as I want to be fair re its good points, I wouldn't recommend it because of the poor handling of the missing nightgown.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank jsbVancouver
at_Swans, Director of Sales at Swans Hotel & Brewpub, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and are very sorry were not able to return your lost item. As I understand you emailed the hotel on a long weekend and our manager spoke with someone over the phone regarding the email when she returned to work. Unfortunately we were not able to locate the nightgown in our lost and found and our laundry service provider was also unable to locate it as well. We do get many items in our lost and found and are always more than happy to return them to our guests. We apologize and are sorry that you feel we mishandled this situation and we will certainly try to learn from it. I can assure you that it your nightgown was found we would return it to you.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

When I travel to conferences and such, instead of staying in the conference hotel, I like to save my pension & benefits plan members' money by staying in a nearby "boutique" or "classic" hotel. Sometimes I am disappointed, but sometimes I am very pleasantly surprised. Swans Suite was very definitely a pleasant surprise! The room was a huge, beautifully restored, two-level suite with all amenities--including a full kitchen, which I didn't get to use due to my short stay. The walls were decorated with tasteful original art. The huge structural beams were striking. Large flat-screen TVs on both levels (no HBO or CNBC, though).

Downstairs, a brew pub featured a very friendly bartender (Andrew) and a wide selection of award-winning brews made on the premises. There is live music every night of the week--the band on my arrival night was excellent. Rooms directly above the pub understandably go for a discounted rate, if you're a bargain-hunter who is likely to stay out late. I didn't eat there, but the food smelled delicious. There was a bowl of complimentary Granny Smith apples in the room and in the elevator lobby area. Front desk clerk Hugh was friendly, helpful, and professional.

The real bottom-line is this: If/when I return to Victoria, I will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: Ask for 301, if it's available. It is at the end of the hall, farthest from the elevator and brew pub.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you are planning on returning during your next visit. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Temporary authorization for $100.00 placed on my card at check in. 6 days later still there. Called to inquire and told to keep an eye on it and call back if still a problem next week. Also two bedroom suite with only one bath does not work

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Niels W
IsaacMtz, Manager at Swans Hotel & Brewpub, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for your recent review. While it is the policy of most hotels to take a pre-authorization for incidental charges at check in it does not normally take too long for your credit card company to release this hold. You can contact your credit card provider before you travel to find out how long the release may take as it can vary. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

If you want to stay in a hotel that's a little different with a great location, rooms that are very Clean and Spacious and hotel staff that are very friendly and most accommodating! Look no further as this is the place for you! Its a no brainer!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family