“good eats at Brown's in Victoria BC”
Review of Browns Socialhouse

Browns Socialhouse
Ranked #108 of 1,216 Restaurants in Victoria
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Canadian, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We've spread our wings and opened our first Browns Socialhouse on Vancouver Island. We're centrally located at the exciting new development, "The Falls", in the heart of downtown Victoria and adjacent to the world famous Empress Hotel and Victoria Conference Centre. This location draws in tourists and locals alike. Hope to see you there!
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Went to BSH with 6 women friends and all agreed the food was good. The atmosphere was pleasing but must say it got incredibly loud inside (well outside in the "patio" area) as volume of the music was far too high and therefore people had to shout to each other. The waitress was very attentive but had a tendency to be patronizing ie "what are we having today" Is that the royal "WE" or just sucking up for a good tip. This is something that really irritates me. When friendliness is clearly for a tip and is not natural. The portions were a little small, actually quite small. I do not know how far this trend will go. The trend that allows restaurants to give less and less and charge more and more. I think the restaurant industry has us brainwashed into thinking that if they charge more for the food and give you a small portion on a huge heavy plate that we have had a great gastronomic experience. I would return on occasion but it will definitely not be on my list of favorites.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Back after a long hiatus. Good to be working back downtown and close to this reliable lunch spot. Had the prawn and chicken pad Thai, my usual favourite and it was excellent as per previous visits. Had a pint of the house lager that was on special for $4! Great beer and great price. Sat at the bar with nice view of big flat screen above us with US Open on. Perfect. Bartender was friendly and provided very good and prompt service. My buddy said his halibut burger was great too. My only somewhat minor complaint is that the pad Thai portion size seemed a little smaller than my last visit over a year ago and the price seems to have increased to about $16, which I consider a little steep for a smallish lunch size serving. Baan Thai's pad Thai is the reigning champ at around $12 for a portion almost twice as large. This is the only thing that kept me from giving this 5 stars. Will return but will opt for one of their other more value conscious offerings next time. The halibut burger was a little on the high side price wise as well at around $17 with side salad.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Had lunch here before heading to airport to head home.

Sat on the patio and enjoyed the sun and watched the spring cars driving by.

Had the chicken curry soup and it was great. Service was excellent.

Easy to recommend.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We decided to eat here as the menu looked great.... Walked in and got given a choice of booth or table and given menus and water promptly. As this was our first visit we took a while to decide what to have as such a lot to choose from. The raspberry mojito I ordered was great and DH was happy to have a soft drink.

DH went for the shrimp and chicken pad Thai and I decided to have the blackened grilled chicken carbonara. Food did not take too long and the portion sizes are great. Food was so tasty and probably some of the best food that we had eaten since arriving in Canada... (We were getting bored of burgers and sandwiches).

Table was cleared away quickly and the friendly staff asked if we wanted anything else however as we were so full asked for the bill. Paid for the dinner and left. In all a very nice laid back place and felt quite private sitting in a booth as the sides were high.

Would like to go back again, when we return to Canada!

1  Thank Mrsdibs79
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Visited for a drink, then had dinner, then came back the following evening for dinner again. It was very close to Chateau Victoria, so very convenient, but it was the service and atmosphere that kept bringing us back.

1  Thank GAR4898