“Great place to stay”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #37 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Thanks for saving us Comfort Hotel!!!! We were suppose to stay at another hotel and ended up here. What a NICE surprise! The service was great! The breakfast was great! We really enjoyed our stay with you and will recommend a stay here to our friends that want a good priced quality hotel to stay at. THANK YOU!!!!!! Only thing we would suggest, more cable channels and a microwave in the room!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 January 2011

We stayed in the executive tower, in a room and bathroom that were both spotless, as my partner commented many times. The free continental breakfast was standard for a Choice Hotel, and you could also buy hot food. The front desk staff were more than efficient, and dressed to the nines, much more impressive than what I see in Ontario. I've read this wasn't a great hotel as a Holiday Inn, but it's great now. And it's a short walk away from the biggest shopping mall around. Unless you feel like spending hundreds at the high end hotels downtown, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Be aware that this used to be a Holiday Inn until fall 2009. I think many of the problems referred to in reviews before that have been rectified. This is by far the best Comfort Inn (or any other Choice hotel) we've stayed in. I'm sorry we avoided it before due to mediocre reviews.

Note that there are three sections. 1) the "tower" faces busy Blanshard St. and so is probably very noisy. 2) the main section, where we stayed. 3) the "motel" section, which has parking below, so is probably also more noisy. In the main section, we heard zero traffic noise. I think the fridges are quite new as they're very quiet. It helps that they're housed inside a dresser. The heating/AC unit is rather loud, however. We didn't hear it much as we had Goldilocks temps at the time. Bottom line: a peaceful night's sleep.

Breakfast is rather average and is held in a restaurant that is part of the hotel building. If you want more than the included continental, you can order a more comprehensive breakfast for a reasonable extra charge. The first morning was very busy, during a capacity long weekend. The woman in charge (whom we lovingly labelled Hilda Hitler for her accent and no-nonsense work ethic) and her assistant never rested for a moment, keeping everything stocked, tables cleared and counters clean. The other three mornings were much quieter, with the attendant parking herself at the far end, away from everyone. She would cheerfully do whatever people asked for (take an order, restock stuff, make more coffee, get a (free) waffle, etc.) but you had to go down and ask. No wonder the tip jar (the only one we saw in any hotel in the past 3 weeks) had just a quarter in it.

Front desk people were always cheerful and friendly.

Only complaint: they charge for use of the computer in the lobby. But if you have your own, wired and wireless internet are free.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucky_Eddie
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Our daughter attends the university in Victoria and we will often catch the ferry and visit when we can. We like it at the Comfort Inn because it is affordable, very clean, quiet , friendly and provides a simple breakfast with the stay. If you want more, like a romantic get away or a place to relax in a spa like setting, then you should go to the Empress or a hotel that provides the luxury you're looking for. For a good night's stay, this is a great place.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I unfortunately stayed at the comfort inn this weekend. I was rushed down to Victoria because my grandpa was given 3 days to live due to lung cancer. We checked into the hotel around 1am and the night attendant told us that if we need to stay another night to just let him know in the morning. When we got to the hospital in the morning, we found out my grandpa was going to have a treatment done that he might not make it out of. I called the hotel to extend my stay and you wont believe the response I was given. The first person that answered the phone told me there were no rooms left for that evening so I asked to speak to the manager to see if there was anything he could do. When he handed over the phone (to which he said was the manger) I explained my situation he first told me he had no rooms and when I said for sure... he put me on hold, when he came back he magically had one left. But it had a king and a pull out and we were in a room with 2 doubles. I asked him if there was anyway he could move one of the arrivals into that room as I’m sure there was a couple arriving that would probably prefer a king to 2 double. He then told me that everyone arriving were families with 4 people. Which I find very hard to believe. When I explained to him that I couldn’t leave right then to come get my stuff as my grandpa might die during this treatment, he then told me I was going to ruin someone’s family holiday if I didn’t move it. The nerve. I them said please don’t tell me I am ruining someone’s vacations right now... he started to yell at me so loud in the phone that when I moved it out an arms length away everyone in the waiting room of the cancer treatment clinic could hear him, I was so upset, if I tell you my grandpa is dying yelling at me is probably not going to help. My dad then had to leave the hospital and go take out stuff out of our room. We switch hotels for that night and will never step foot in that hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank jjmorgan45
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I stayed at this hotel during the last week of April for a conference. The hotel itself is very very clean. Despite how dated the bathrooms are, the room was very very neat and spotlessly clean. I stayed in room 114 on the main floor. It's pretty much a no frills hotel with nothing spectacular to offer. They offer a free continental breakfast each morning.

Staff was pleasant.

The usual rates are cheaper than what my colleagues and I paid, despite them advertising it as a "special" rate for our conference. I did not like that at all, especially when we found out that waterfront hotels looking over the harbour right downtown by the Legislative building were newer and cheaper! Regular rates, even online for this hotel were below $90 per night when we were charged $115 per night...gouging?

Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2009

We had an amazing stay at the Comfort Hotel (3020 Blanshard Street) in Victoria. Stayed in the executive tower. Room and hotel was very clean, staff very accommodating. Small work out facility is new and well kept. Continental breakfast was great!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple