“Good location, clean rooms, great breakfast”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #37 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The hotel is only a short drive from Victoria's city center. The staff were friendly and the complimentary breakfast was very good - included continental, hot buffet, coffee and waffle station. Not sure if this is how it is for all the nights or just for holiday weekends (we stayed during Canada day) but we were very pleasantly surprised. Overall, good stay for the price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Were put in the tower which you accessed beside the liquor store (no issues but were leary). Rooms were okay but the best part was great wireless. The breakfast was good but on 2nd day when they ran out of eggs and bacon (8am) they did not refill so 2 of our party went without. Stayed a Tues and Wed but Wed was $14 more....

Room Tip: Ask for room in main hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed in a pet-friendly room with additional $20 fee and the room doesn't look as good as you can see online. I was disappointed after all. And I was told not to allow to bring breakfast back to my room to enjoy it. I've been to many hotels, this is first time I ........................don't like it.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Veronica H
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We've stayed here several times now & always enjoyed it. Price was right (about $100), rooms are nicely laid out, clean, all the appropriate amenities, and while we didn't use the breakfast option, we've heard nothing but good things. Furthermore, the staff has always been welcoming & helpful, which is important to me when I'm away from home.

I love the location, which is close to restaurants & the Mayfair Mall. Even if my husband has business, leaving me car-less, I can walk to whatever I need.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, nor would I have a problem recommending this hotel to my friends & family.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

Stayed here for two nights.
Room was spacious and clean. In the morning a newspaper was delivered. Breakfast was good..
Nothing wrong with this hotel. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank P H
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Recently I had to stay in Victoria, but the hotel I usually stay at - The Red Lion Inn - was fully booked. It was, admittedly, a night's stay booked just shy of a week before. (Pretty much the way I usually plan a weekender trip!) Throw in a bike race in town that weekend and my hotel options were more limited than usual. The important criteria for choosing a hotel for me are: location, cleanliness, and a restful sleep, i.e. quiet and comfortable bed and pillow.

While the Comfort Hotel & Conference Centre gets a check mark on all of the aforementioned, where it lacked was value for money. I mean, who doesn't like the feeling of getting a lot for what you paid for? We all do.

Let's set the groundwork for value for money: on this stay, I paid $142.80 ($125 + $17.80 taxes) for the night for my six-year-old son and myself. My previous stay in Victoria was in May at The Red Lion Inn that had me pay $86.26 ($75.00 + $11.26 taxes).

Let's take a moment and compare the two hotels: both hotels are 3-star and clean; They are within a 10 minute walk of each other. It's a fair comparison.

The Comfort Hotel (CH) includes breakfast and The Red Lion Inn (RL) does not. The RL gives you a 10% off at the Chinese restaurant attached to the hotel. The CH has a "gym" on-site, whereas the RL gives you a free pass to the Fitness World located across the street. The CH has a pub and the RL has a sports lounge. The CH's hallways and elevator are a little brighter.

So, now that we have determined that it's a fair comparison, the question is: is the CH worth the extra money? Well, let's put the gym in perspective: the in-house gym at the CH is nothing to write home about. The equipment is very old and, in the case of the univeral gym, rusting. I'll tell you this much, I wouldn't trust that bench press with the way it's handle sways from side to side as you hold it. I'll give the RL the advantage on this one. Fitness World is a good gym.

As I was travelling with my young son, I didn't use the pub at the CH. I also haven't used the sports lounge at the RL. Let's give them both the benefit of the doubt that they deliver what they promise with their services and call that a draw.

The CH also lists a jacuzzi tub as one of it's amenities, but it wasn't operational when I was there. The RL doesn't have a jacuzzi. Let's assume that the CH's jacuzzi normally is in working order, so we'll give the CH a tentative advantage on this feature.

That brings us to the breakfast. The CH breakfast was good - not great, but good. My last breakfast included in a stay was in Montreal at a hotel that is in a whole 'nother price range, so it was much better, but that one is not a fair comparison.

Conclusion:
The Red Lion Inn doesn't include breakfast, but at $56.54 cheaper per night, I just have to give The Red Lion Inn a big thumb's up over the Comfort Hotel & Conference Centre. It's not that the Comfort Hotel experience was bad - it wasn't at all, it just wasn't worth an extra $56.54 for breakfast for one adult and a child and an out-of-order jacuzzi. Perhaps if the rate you pay when you stay at the Comfort Hotel is considerably better than the rate I got, then perhaps it might be worth a look. Me? Next time I come to Victoria - and that probably won't be long from now - I will go back to The Red Lion Inn.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank PowerGridFan
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Entire Hotel looked and smelled clean. Beds were very comfortable. Everything in the room worked. Nothing was quick fixed like you see in cheap hotels. The price was very reasonable. The included breakfast was one of the best I have ever seen. Ample room to sit down and enjoy your breakfast. I will stay here again next time I'm in Victoria.