My friend and I recently took a trip to Victoria BC, which began with a disastrous stay at the Comfort Inn (actually, Comfort Hotel and Conference Centre). We had a reservation for two nights, and after checking-in we made our way past the stain-laden carpets in the hallway to our room. Immediately upon opening the door we were hit with a strong musty, moldy smell and stain-covered carpet. We returned to the reception and explained the situation and asked if we could stay in another room, they gave us another room though the strong odor was still there. Even though I am generally not picky when it comes to accommodations, but the smell was pretty appalling by any standards.
Not wanting to spend any more time attempting to change rooms again, we figured we’d deal with it later and try to make the best of what was left of the day. We went to reception to inquire about points of interest and while we were there, also asked if there happened be any cleaner rooms to spend the following night in. Receptionist said that all the rooms were the same but if we wanted we could talk to the manager, Joe, who was there. We politely described the situation and the condition of the rooms. The manager immediately became defensive and abruptly said, “look, we maintain a very clean hotel here, and I don’t appreciate your accusations. There are about 20 other hotels nearby and you are welcome to move into one of those. In fact, I will have you checked out right now” (signaling to the young man behind the counter). Needless to say we were absolutely shocked at his response. I told the manager that we had no intention of moving out, and that we didn’t have time nor we should be forced to look for other accommodations at this late stage, to which he responded “no, you are wrong, you are already checked out. I will have your luggage moved downstairs and you can pick it up now or later”. While we stepped out of the lobby to discuss our next move, the manager came out to the parking lot near our car and said, “your luggage is being brought down and good luck”. I replied that we first have to see if we can get a suitable accommodation at this late stage. He answered “you don’t seem to understand, you are checked out, we don’t want you here”.
In my 45 years of domestic and international travels, I had never encountered anything near such insulting, unprofessional, and hostile behavior from any hotel staff, especially a manager. I wrote to Comfort Inn (Choice Hotels) describing our experience, and have yet to receive a response. With so many alternatives for cleaner, more pleasant and professionally managed hotels available, I am not sure if I will ever risk staying at another Comfort Inn again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With 152 well-appointed rooms, our hotel comfortably accommodates both business and leisure travellers. The Comfort Inn & Suites Victoria not only offers some of the best rates in Victoria, but each stay includes a complimentary hot breakfast buffet and ample free parking. Our conference and meeting spaces can accommodate a wide range of events, from large trade shows and weddings to small meetings. Redd’s Pub, our on-site restaurant, offers diners traditional pub fare, with a pleasant mix of international flavours. For you convenience, we also have a cold beer and wine store onsite, Rosie's. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Comfort Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Hotel And Conference Centre
- Holiday Inn Victoria
- Victoria Holiday Inn
- Comfort Inn & Suites Victoria, Vancouver Island