“"Never Again"”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #36 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My friend and I recently took a trip to Victoria BC, which began with a disastrous stay at the Comfort Inn (actually, Comfort Hotel and Conference Centre). We had a reservation for two nights, and after checking-in we made our way past the stain-laden carpets in the hallway to our room. Immediately upon opening the door we were hit with a strong musty, moldy smell and stain-covered carpet. We returned to the reception and explained the situation and asked if we could stay in another room, they gave us another room though the strong odor was still there. Even though I am generally not picky when it comes to accommodations, but the smell was pretty appalling by any standards.

Not wanting to spend any more time attempting to change rooms again, we figured we’d deal with it later and try to make the best of what was left of the day. We went to reception to inquire about points of interest and while we were there, also asked if there happened be any cleaner rooms to spend the following night in. Receptionist said that all the rooms were the same but if we wanted we could talk to the manager, Joe, who was there. We politely described the situation and the condition of the rooms. The manager immediately became defensive and abruptly said, “look, we maintain a very clean hotel here, and I don’t appreciate your accusations. There are about 20 other hotels nearby and you are welcome to move into one of those. In fact, I will have you checked out right now” (signaling to the young man behind the counter). Needless to say we were absolutely shocked at his response. I told the manager that we had no intention of moving out, and that we didn’t have time nor we should be forced to look for other accommodations at this late stage, to which he responded “no, you are wrong, you are already checked out. I will have your luggage moved downstairs and you can pick it up now or later”. While we stepped out of the lobby to discuss our next move, the manager came out to the parking lot near our car and said, “your luggage is being brought down and good luck”. I replied that we first have to see if we can get a suitable accommodation at this late stage. He answered “you don’t seem to understand, you are checked out, we don’t want you here”.
In my 45 years of domestic and international travels, I had never encountered anything near such insulting, unprofessional, and hostile behavior from any hotel staff, especially a manager. I wrote to Comfort Inn (Choice Hotels) describing our experience, and have yet to receive a response. With so many alternatives for cleaner, more pleasant and professionally managed hotels available, I am not sure if I will ever risk staying at another Comfort Inn again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank bernard s

Reviewed 8 September 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for business on several occasions and been very happy with it, the price is fabulous. Until... the last time. They put me in the Auxiliary building across the parking lot which looks a bit run down on the outside, but I thought "what the heck, it will be better inside." When I got in, I was absolutely appalled at the condition of the 'lobby'. It appeared filthy, the carpet was disgusting, looked like it had not seen a carpet cleaner in decades and desperately needed to be replaced. The same with the carpet in the room. The room had new furniture which looked lovely, but the carpet ruined it all. I actually had the heebie jeebies. The straw for me was the food and spittle all over the hand piece on the phone.

I went to the front desk and complained, the clerks moved me to the main hotel. I was perfectly happy, although not until after I checked the condition of the phone!

If you stay here, don't let them put you in the auxiliary building. As to the free breakfast, it is fabulous, basic, but fabulous choices from eggs, sausage/ham, etc, waffles, toast, pasteries, yogurt, fruit, etc.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Althea V
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Nice room, I had a one bedroom suite. The room was clean and spacious. The gym had older equipment, no elipitical but had a universal gym. The staff was nice and helpful. There is a wine and beer store on site. The restauraunt/bar was average, the food was not great. Downtown to the nightlife and restauraunts is about a $10 cab ride. There is a mall next door. Typical comfort inn experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank John J
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My room was clean, comfortable, spacious, and nicely appointed. The housekeeping staff did a great job and were very pleasant. Breakfast was excellent but the room is small and space is limited near the food. The location is good for access in all directions, but is not close to the harbour area. I have no problem with the short drive to get such a good accommodation at the very reasonable price I paid.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank D M
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Stayed at the Comfort Hotel August 8th - 10th. Very clean rooms with helpful Staff. Little bit of a maze to get to the tower rooms but over all it was very good stay. Good but crowded continental breakfast area. Food was good.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are newer
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DNST
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Although a good 5-10 minute drive from Victoria Harbour, this hotel was a real gem.
We had a large, modern room with twin Queen beds and a full hot and cold continental breakfast for under $90 a night. We had paid $130 the night before a little ways up the coast for a very tiny and basic room in an older motel . This room was very clean, the beds comfortable and the continental breakfast included everything from eggs and sausage to waffles and cold cereals and a variety of breads and pastries. Very family friendly.
The bonus was an attached restaurant/pub accessable from inside the hotel that treated us to live music while we enjoyed a leisurely dinner and a cold local beer on their patio deck.

We would definitely stay here again if ever back that way.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank David H
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Looking at the hotel site and building we thought that we would have good place to stay for the price we paid with my family. Towels in the bathroom were with the hair who used previously. Those towels were not cleaned well. Bathroom was not clean and found hair in the bathroom. No hot water to take shower in the morning. We had to leave that mornig without taking shower. Not a good experience to stay in that hotel as we expected.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family