“Not dreadful, but not nearly in the $200 per night class.”

Best Western Plus Inner Harbour
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I booked my room on-line at Tripadvisor.ca. Best Western advertised $149 + $24 tax giving $173, while Expedia.ca was flagged as "guaranteed best rate" at $169. So I took the $5 cheaper rate with expedia.ca. When I got to the hotel I was charge $196. This is not really Best Western's fault but when I questioned my bill it was just dismissed.
When I checked in the staff were very engaged in putting up a new sign and spacing the letters exactly, but seemed uninterested in the customers. I was told, "Initial here". It was just the abrupt manor with which this instruction was given that annoyed me sufficiently for me to respond, "What am I initialling?" The look I got said, "We have a difficult customer here." It was only then when I got my glasses out to read the small writing I was meant to be initialing that I saw the $27 addition to my bill!!! The whole interaction was not good.
Next I asked about the promised parking and was told my vehicle was too big so I would have to go down the road and pay for parking. When I looked up set I was told that if I left my truck where it was it would be ticketed. This is not rocket science, why could they not have said, "I am very sorry, can we get a member of staff to go with you to your vehicle, collect your bags and take them to your room while you go and park?" If my vehicle was too big it was too big; I don't expect Best Western to change their hotel for me, but I do expect them to treat me as a valued customer.
If this was a $80 or $90 a night hotel then this service might be expected, but a top notch hotel asking nearly $200 a night should provide something a lot better than this brisk service.
The room was very nice, if a bit tight on space. I had a lovely view through large windows over the harbour. But the windows were old and did nothing to keep the noise out. As there were planes taking off on the harbour outside the noise of their engines really intruded into my room. Later that night I could hear every car that drove passed, not to mention some jolly people obviously enjoying their evening out. Such a lovely modern room should have better sound insulation.
My advice, there are lots of very good hotels in downtown Victoria, you don't have to put up with this sloppy service, also look for one which promises a bit of quiet.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Little-Pope
BWIH_Manager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inner Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, and for giving me the opportunity to address them. I sincerely apologize that your experience was anything less than perfect.

The comments you provided regarding service are not at all typical of our staff, and many other reviews we receive highlights this. However, I want to apologize that our team did not provide personalized service to you, and in particular to assist with questions you had regarding your reservation through an online travel agent and with locating off-site alternative parking. Our website does mention the height restriction of 6'6" for our underground parking, and our staff do their best to assist with providing alternatives that best suit the length of a guest's stay. I am sorry that you did not find our staff more helpful.

When a guest books through a third party channel (as an example Expedia), the details are not communicated the same as when a guest books through the brand (in our case Best Western) channel. Our hotel staff would assist with connecting a guest with the third party channel customer service to resolve any reservation questions they may have. To the best of our knowledge, the reason we believe for the rate differences was the room type being booked ( a view studio in your case) versus the other room type offered at a lower rate (room selected at check in, could be city view or garden view). I apologize that you did not feel as if the information or booking details was not fully transparent as you made your reservation.

Thank you again for your comments, and we do hope that you will reconsider staying again with us, when your travels next bring you to Victoria.

Joanne Mills

997 - 1,003 of 1,873 reviews

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The rooms were lovely and spacious with balcony, kitchenette and everything you could wish for. Documentation was great and the staff were ready and able to help with everything, especially places to go, how to get there, where to eat what was special to see etc. The hotel was perfectly placed for all the main attractions and restaurants. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and I will remember their generosity for a long time. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and it had the best provision of drawers and storage of any hotel that we have stayed in for years.

Room Tip: They were all terrific
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you Keith for taking the time to share with us and others your recent experience at our hotel! In particular, thanks for your high praise on the service of our entire team, to make your trip to Victoria very memorable!

By the way, I think you are the FIRST guest to tell me we have the BEST provision of drawers and storage - thank you! We really want our guests to feel at home and "move in" so we try our best to make the studios and suites as comfortable as we can whether you are coming for a night or two or a couple of months.

Thank you for recommending our hotel!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Great value for the dollar located close to the Parliament buildings and Victoria Harbour. We parked the car when arriving and never used it again until time to go home. You can walk everywhere around the harbour and to the downtown core where there is plenty of places to eat. Breakfast is supplied and a nice variety to choose from.

Room Tip: Be prepared being in this location you will hear the harbour planes take off in the morning. As well...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thanks Brian for choosing our hotel for your family getaway to Victoria!

We are so pleased to hear how much you were able to utilize the convenience of our location and simply walk to many of the attractions and excellent restaurants in the downtown area. Not needing to use a car for your holiday provides a sense of freedom (not worrying about navigating unknown streets, finding parking, ect) and using your time instead to enjoy the sights and sounds along the way! And, makes for a "greener" holiday, which for a "Green" hotel we appreciate!

Thanks again for all your comments, and we look forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The rooms feature a well-equipped kitchenette partitioned off from the sleeping area which is a welcome change from the usual coffee maker on a dresser. Its location at the Inner Harbour puts it within an easy stroll of the city's attractions: the Legislature, Museum, shops and dining.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear George,

Thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at our Inner Harbour hotel and for choosing our hotel for your family getaway!

We are delighted that you liked how our hotel amenities were laid out - our hotel was originally built as a condo, and as such each unit was thoughtfully designed to have the kitchen area separate from the sleeping area.

Glad to hear you were able to make great use of our great location and take in some of the nearby sights, like the Parliament Buildings.

Joanne Mills

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stay at Best Western hotels several times a year and I am always very happy with customer service and accommodations. Unfortunately my family and I were left very disappointed after our last trip to Victoria. I booked weeks in advance as this was a special occasion. I booked a queen one bedroom suit with a queen pull out. Upon check in I didn't receive the usually friendly welcome and I was surprised at being charged extra for parking. When making the reservation I asked if they had a pool and was told yes they did, but upon arrival I was informed it was only seasonal. Had I been made aware of this on the phone my children wouldn't have been needlessly disappointed. The room was clean but even after I requested to have the pull out made up it was not done and there were no extra pillows for the bed. We were in a hurry to make our evening reservations so we quickly dropped off our bags and left for a fun evening. Upon returning from our great night we made up the pull out for our young children and tucked them into a bed that seemed smaller then a queen but not a big worry as our children are small too. My husband and I have a queen bed so when we went to turn in we noticed how small our bed was too. We could barley fit in this bed together it was defiantly only a double but what can you do when it is so late so we suffered through a terrible night sleep. We were sure looking forward to the hot breakfast the hotel provided the next morning but to our dismay most of our breakfast was left on our plates. We tried three different pastries all of which were dry, upon pealing our oranges they were so dry you couldn't even squeeze a drop. The pancakes were leathery the fruit salad was left sitting too long; so everything tasted like pineapple, and the hot eggs, hash-browns and sausage were cold. Needless to say we had to go elsewhere to fill our bellies. Upon check out I only mentioned the bed sizes and that I was sure a mistake had been made. I was assured our bed was a queen and that they were sorry for our discomfort. We left hungry and tired and completely unsatisfied. Even though we were assured our bed was a queen I just couldn't believe it as I am accustomed to sleeping on a queen on a regular basis. I phoned the hotel assistant manager and was nicely assured again. I still can't believe they are calling this bed a queen. My family and I will be finding other accommodations our next visit.

2  Thank Emerald F
BWIH_Manager, Assistant Manager at Best Western Plus Inner Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Emerald,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay, and as well for speaking with me following your check-out. We take pride in being a hotel that extends superior customer service to all of our guests and your comments are not a typical reflection of what we hear. It is our intention to learn from your experience.

As I mentioned to you during our phone conversation, the One Bedroom Suites do have a Queen Size bed in the bedroom, purchased from Simmons Canada. We receive great feedback from our guests regarding these pillow-top mattresses and I am sorry you felt the bed was undersized. The pull-out sofa in the living room is a Double Size mattress and these are always prepared with clean linens for each guest’s arrival, with additional blankets and pillows available in the living room bureau.

Our hotel advertises recreational amenities, such as a seasonal outdoor heated pool and year-round indoor whirlpool, sauna and steam room. We do our best to clearly inform our guests that the pool is seasonal and operational from mid-May to mid-October and I apologise if this information was miscommunicated to you.

Again, I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this visit but I truly hope that you will give us another chance.

Rachel Dickinson
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed at this BW for 6 days enjoying each and every day. I had a suite for the first two days and then a regular room for the other 4. Each was equipped with kitchen facilities. All services were exceptional and the breakfast was very good. The hotel is very clean and the daily cleaning services were great. The staff I came in contact with from front desk to housekeeping were extremely friendly. Being centrally located, one did not need a car and walking to downtown Victoria only took a few minutes. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I had suite with view of Quebec Street.....second room was on the waterfront side....liked that view...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for recently staying with us for your extended stay in Victoria!

It was lovely to hear how much you enjoyed the two room types you tried out (the One Bedroom Suite, on the City View/ Quebec Street side, as well as the Park & Partial Harbour View Studio, on the park side of the hotel). For stays of three or more nights, we offer a full kitchenette at no additional charge, which we often hear from our guests is so convenient and appreciated.

Thank you for the compliments to our housekeeping team, and the amazingly hard work they do day in day out to keep our hotel clean! I enjoyed sharing your praise for the service of all our staff with the entire team! And we hope to see you again for another winter break...:-)

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed at the BW for 3 days and enjoyed every minute. We were so central to everything, so not having a car this was important. The breakfast was very good, all services were good and the staff very friendly. The hotel was very clean and just as an afterthought the price was right.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen L
BWIH_Manager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inner Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you Kathleen for your recent visit to our city and for staying with us! We appreciate the kind words for the service from our staff, the cleanliness of the hotel and of course our central location.

We look forward to having you both back again soon!