“Average hotel at best for Victoria”

Best Western Plus Inner Harbour
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Wow, I was surprised to see all the good reviews at the Best Western, so I booked it for a night, when my usual two choices were booked. As a backgrounder, I have lived in Victoria for 13 years, and now travel here on business every other week. The price I got for this hotel was similar to the two others that I use, and so I am basing my rating on this fact. The hotel staff were friendly enough, so no issues here. The room however is not up to snuff. The maid did not do a thorough job cleaning, as there were fingerprints all over the mirrored closet doors, and a pubic hair found on the toilet in the bathroom. The decor is out of date as is the TV (not widescrren), and has one of those remotes, where you have to really push hard to change a channel. Carpet looked cheap (dark green in color), and the wall decor, the usual stuff that one finds in a cheap hotel. The room does have a small kitchen, but I am on business and did not need one. Maybe this hotel would be of more interest for adults travelling with kids. Bottomline, for the price, there are fair nicer hotels to stay at in Victoria, and the comments about it being in a great location - so what, Victoria is a tourist town, there are dozens of hotels with the same type of location.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Squirmin
Write a ReviewReviews (1,971)

Reviewed 3 August 2010

Great location,with a short walk to everywere.Very quiet at night.
Full breakfast to start the day. Front desk was very friendly and helpful.
Checking in & out was very easy.Great value hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed three nights and have no complaints.

What we liked:

1) The location - just steps from Fisherman's Wharf, all the great places we wanted to see, and the very best part of the waterfront (and yet, just far enough away so the hotel was very quiet).

2) The staff - they were VERY friendly, helpful, and kind. They acted like they were HOPING we would ask for help - they were like "family." Even the cleaning lady was exceptionally nice - I bumped into her in the parking lot and she asked if everything was going well.

3) 24 hour coffee (with real cream) - thank you!!

4) Free breakfast - very nice, great room, friendly helper.

5) Free newspapers - two dailies - I love that!

6) Free parking - this is great - and I could get my car whenever I wanted it. Parking was secure and gated (room key opened the gate). We only needed the car to drive for hikes in Sooke, and day trips - everything in Victoria itself was EASILY within walking distance.

7) I didn't use the pool - but my daughter appreciated that. I DID love the hot tub and steam sauna after we hiked the "POTHOLES" in Sooke (GREAT Swimming and photo opportunities there, by the way). We also hiked the Juan de Fuca trail (AWESOME), China Beach and Mystic Beach...so the hot tub was a blessing! Need a car to get to these hiking spots.

8) Three free movie channels in the room.

9) Free WIFI internet in the room.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We followed Trip Advisor's advice and stayed at BW Inner Harbour. This was our first visit to Victoria, so we did not know what to expect. The hotel is set apart from a main street by a small park. A lovely small restaurant (Harbour House) is nearby. We requested a higher floor with a harbour view, and that is exactly what we got. It was wonderful. At first we were concerned about not having a/c, as it was very hot, but there was a fan blowing quietly and the room was more than comfortable. We were very impressed with everything at this hotel, and the breakfast room was much more than expected. Excellent choices for breakfast! Get up a little earlier to treat yourself to the apple filled pastry, gently warmed in the microwave. Those go fast!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2010

the hotel is very clean, as are the rooms and bathrooms. it was a hot day when I arrived in victoria and the room was cool with fans running the shades closed. the room was quite and the location was great and the breakfast was plentiful, fresh and the eating area was bright. i only stayed on night but i could stay longer.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Very clean room, outstanding location and quality service. Breakfast buffet included in room rate which is very convenient for me when I am on a business trip because I rarely have more than a few minutes to grab something for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2010

This was by far the friendliest hotel we stayed at during a whirlwind trip to Whistler-Vancouver-Victoria-Seattle. Unfortunately we only stayed one night. The desk clerk went out of his way to check on transportation to the Butchart Gardens. The room was spacious and quiet and the beds comfortable. The hotel is one block from the passenger ferry to Seattle and one block from the sights of the Inner Harbour (Empress Hotel; House of Parliament; Royal BC Museum), but the neighborhood behind the hotel is quiet and residential. The breakfast had ample selections, including enough for my teenage son, who is a bottomless pit. I highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again on a future trip to Victoria.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
BWIH_Manager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inner Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2010

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Best Western Inner Harbour hotel.

We are delighted you enjoyed the convenience of our location, the variety in the continental breakfast buffet and the pillow-top beds! Your compliments on the service you received are so appreciated. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Victoria!