“Excellent downtown location with harbour views -- all around decent value.”

Best Western Plus Inner Harbour
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nanaimo
“Excellent downtown location with harbour views -- all around decent value.”
Reviewed 16 December 2010

This hotel has pros and cons. The bottom line is, if you're looking for a clean and comfortable downtown location with the added perks of possible harbour views, and a continental breakfast included in the price, this hotel is for you. On the pro side, staff were all very friendly and helpful; each unit has a fully equipped, small kitchen with a window (nice for adding brightness and something to look out at while eating); also standard are private balconies with table and chairs, not always found in downtown hotels; and windows that open for 'fresh air freaks'. Most rooms, including kitchens and bathrooms, have been recently updated. On the con side, the continental breakfast isn't suitable for those with wheat or gluten sensitivities or someone who doesn't want to 'carbohydrate load' for breakfast. If that is you, it may not be good value; there are some downtown hotels that offer packages in the same price range, which include a choice of several full breakfasts. The hotel is modest in appearance, minimal-sized lobby, rather narrow hallways and dated, dark walls and carpet. There are other downtown hotels in the same price range with better amenities and nicer decor. However, we did a 'budget' trip and obtained our room through airmiles, so overall we were happy with our stay. We would probably stay there again using airmiles, but for a more special get-away, like an anniversary, I would recommend something a little more elegant. I do think for families, this hotel has a lot going for it. I pondered for a while about whether I would recommend it to a friend and decided that I would, depending on whether it fit their individual needs and circumstances.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
BWIH_Manager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inner Harbour, responded to this review, 17 December 2010
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing all your comments.

We appreciated all the kind things you had to say, especially on the service of our staff, the cleanliness of our rooms and the extras our updated rooms offer (such as kitchen facilities and balconies).

I am sorry that our continental breakfast did not meet all your needs. Our staff are pleased to assist guests who let us know of their allergy - such as dairy, wheat or gluten - and we have items on hand for these guests or can arrange to have some special items brought in. We even keep a special toaster aside just for gluten-free breads. Please be sure to ask our staff for assistance on your next visit or mention your allergy at time of booking so we can provide a better breakfast experience.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Powell River
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Staff were very helpful - room was excellent value and was surprised to find kitchen facility.
also enjoyed the breakfast.

• Stayed December 2010
BWIH_Manager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inner Harbour, responded to this review, 16 December 2010
Thanks so much for your compliments!

All of our guest studios include a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Full kitchen facilities can be added for a small charge when booking studios, and are located in a separate eating area adjacent to the guest room. Also, full kitchens are included (no extra charge) with all one-bedroom suite & penthouse reservations. The kitchens in our guest studios have all been beautifully renovated in the last year, and are especially popular with guests here for an extended stay.

We are delighted to hear you were able to make use of these extra facilities while our guest and we hope to see you back again soon!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I picked the BW Inner Harbour because it is less than a block from the Victoria Clipper dock. My husband and I have stayed here before and really like the location and staff. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful - from the reception desk to the room service and custodial personell. The walk uptown is not that bad and there are plenty of busses and cabs if walking isn't an option. Since the hotel itself is older there was some remodeling going on which did not bother us in any way.
Our room was a bit small, but we had a kitchenette that had a stove, refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. I think there is a fee to use the kitchen equipment, but not just the microwave and coffee maker. I am assuming that our room had not been renovated because it took awhile for the hot water to reach our sink and shower - and it was a great shower, not a whimpy one. I gave the hotel a 3 star for sleep quality because our king-sized mattress was too soft for both my husband and me. So if you like a pillow-top mattress you will love the beds. Also, I think it is a little bit pricey for the amenities. The breakfast was self-serve and not that satisfying unless you like lots of carbs.
When my husband and I wanted to go to Butchard Gardens to see the Christmas lights we took the #75 bus, a direct route to Butchard, that stops in front of the Spaghetti Factory (where the old Crystal Palace used to be).
The hotel staff really do make this a place we enjoy staying at and will probably stay here on our next visit.

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2010

Our stay was very enjoyable. This was the first time in 3 years that we have been on a little getaway. I am now partially disabled and using a walker. I was concerned that I would feel akward in a hotel setting but was greatly relieved that the staff went out of the way to assist me. Sarah was in the hall cleaning a room and when I tried to go down the hall my walker would not fit with the cleaning cart in the way. She noticed that I was having problems and came ot of the room she was in and moved the bedding off the cart so I could go thru.Very pleasant was the staff at the desk and also in the breakfast room. A-one rating and if we come to Victoria again, I would come to your hotel. Linda Dyck

Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Not a top end luxury hotel but just a nice clean quiet place to stay. Great location and walking distance to just about everything downtown Victoria. Stayed here many times and has now been upgraded. Friendly staff, continental breakfast, very clean, and not a bunch of fussing around, just the way I like it. I will keep coming back here.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
courtenay
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I've had pleasure of travelling around the world and staying in many different hotels. I can say with complete certainty that Best Western is by far the most equitable when cost and value are compared.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Thanks so much for your comments and for taking the time to share your experience as our guest. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels next bring you to Victoria, BC!
vancouver island
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Staff very friendly and very accommodating.
Room very clean. Staff very helpful in placing me in
a room in quiet part of hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business