“Great stay for the Vic Marathon Weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel

BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Vancouver, Canada
“Great stay for the Vic Marathon Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

My family and I stayed in two rooms (one regular room and one suite) here this past October during the Victoria marathon weekend. We loved this place for a few reasons:

-They were the only hotel recommended on the marathon website that allowed us to stay for only one night.
-Location was perfect for the marathon.
-Rooms were clean and comfy - especially the suite.
-Although they couldn't give us a late check-out (understandable, considering how many runners were staying there), they provided us with a room and unlimited time to shower and clean up after the race. They also stored all of our luggage so we could check out early in the morning on our way out.
-We left some items behind, so we phoned the next day. The hotel express mailed them, and we had them back only two days later.

My only complaint was that it was a little bit noisy late at night - but this is pretty unavoidable if you want to stay in the city centre.

Amazing service, highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChrisWatson27, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2011
Thank you very much for the wonderful comments about your stay. We are proud to provide accommodation at a very reasonable rate over the thanksgiving (marathon) long weekend. The hotel does tend to completely book up about six months in advance for this weekend, therefore an early booking is suggested.

We are also always happy to return forgotten items, typically at no cost.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Chemainus, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

The Carlton Plaza Hotel is centrally located in the city of Victoria with reasonable rates and very good service. The rooms were very clean and the staff were helpful and friendly. There is a restrauant attached to the hotel that provided a wholesome breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms located on the east side were quiet.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Mackenzie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

My wife, 2 kids and I got a kitchenette suite (2 doubles) for 3 days, and we were very happy with everything. It took a while to check in, as only one person was manning the front desk, but after that everything went smoothly. The parking situation is hassle free. You just park out front, give them the keys, and if they have to find you a different parking spot, they do, and you just have to get them to bring your car around when you need it. The room was spacious and well designed. There was a couch with a coffee table with a good-sized TV. The kitchen wass well-equipped with everything you could need, and the batroom was clean and a good size. The location is excellent. You are walking distance from everything you could wish to see in the downtown (the harbour, Royal BC Museum, main shopping drag, good restaurants). The service from the staff was excellent. It was a great holiday, and where we stayed played no small part of the experience.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChrisWatson27, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2011
Thank you very much for the review of our hotel. I’m very happy to hear that you found our studio suites to be accommodating for your needs. We are always happy to accommodate our guests in a spacious studio suite for only $20 above our standard room rate.
Vancouver Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

My husband and I booked an overnight stay at the Carlton Plaza when attending a Victoria Royal's hockey game. It was our third visit to this hotel and we were very pleased to be upgraded to a suite. Check in was a pleasant experience, the suite met every expectation, including a king size bed. The location is ideal, within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, coffee shops and the harbour. The valet parking was efficient considering the parking lot was elsewhere. My only regret was we didn't stay a second night!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChrisWatson27, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you very much for the wonderful comments about our location and valet parking.

We have found that many guests have enjoyed the proximity of the hotel to the Save On Foods Memorial Centre, home of the Victoria Royals.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

I've stayed in Victoria before, but this was my first time at this hotel. What a delight it turned out to be. Though a little older, this property proved to be a gem with lovely architecture and details that make it stand out from the usual ho-hum hotels to be found wherever you look.

When I travel I want clean, clean rooms and this property sets a very high standard. I've paid three times as much for rooms that couldn't hold a candle to what the staff here accomplish. Further to the staff, what an excellent and friendly group.

A further benefit to the hotel is it's proximity to the very best that Victoria has to offer. I didn't use my car for the entire stay.

I would highly recommend the hotel and look forward to a return visit in a few months when business gives me cause to return.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much to the writer for the nice review. I am glad you enjoyed our property which was built in 1912, making this upcoming year its 100th.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

My overall stay at this hotel was very pleasant. The rooms are very clean and the staff are pleasant and helpful. I did have a problem with a very noisy party in the room next door to me but the hotel management did resolve it to my satisfaction and I am happy. I am confident that such a situation is unlikely to happen again.

This hotel is well situated in the heart of downtown, Victoria and is very close to shopping, the harbour, lots of restaurants and interesting things to see. I had a very enjoyable walk and saw many interesting sights within minutes of the hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor but undertand the 7th is the best. My room was at the back of the hotel a...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank the writer for taking the time to write this review.

I am truly sorry you experienced such a disturbing night’s sleep. Here at the Carlton Plaza we do our very best to enforce a zero tolerance noise policy. Even so, it is very sad that some people come to hotels to party, completely disrespecting all other guests.
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

I was expecting the usual hotel chain facility and service but was pleasantly surprised. They upgraded me to a suite upon check in so I cannot comment on the regular rooms. My suite was clean, everything in working order including the wifi. This was quite different from my stay at a different Best Western the day before where the wifi cut in and out repeatedly and things were notably dated despite being in clean and working order. The hotel is located right downtown, has secured doors at night and complimentary valet parking.

Room Tip: If you have pets this is a great place. Their pet fee is reasonable compared to other BW
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChrisWatson27, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Thank you very much for the kind review of our hotel. We are always happy to accommodate pets at our hotel. We allow pets on two floors of the hotel at a charge of $10 per night.