“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Nanaimo, Canada
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I found the complimentary Valet parking to be a wonderful value and added benefit. I don't think I have ever stayed in a Downtown urban setting that offers this amenity.

The staff were wonderful, the service was excellent, and most important the room was comfortable and accommodating.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
ChrisWatson27, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you very much for the wonderful comments about our staff. We are all proud of the wonderful customer care our guest service agents strive to provide on a daily basis.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed here this past weekend and were really impressed! We stayed in a suite wich had 2 queens and a pull out bed which was great for our family of 4. The kitchenette was perfect and although you are staying right downtown, it's very quiet in the room. The free valet parking was defiantly a bonus! The only downfall of the trip was the elevator...... Only holds 5 and you have to wait a loooong time for it. You have the option of stairs but then you have to bug the check in desk to open the stairwell door for you which is only accessible outside. I would defiantly stay here again!! Great place!!

• Stayed February 2012
Thank you very much to writer for the nice comments about our property. I completely understand the frustration the elevator caused this past weekend. Being here all weekend, I was frustrated myself. I am very sorry about the long wait times.

Here at the Carlton Plaza Hotel we are always working hard to improve the hotel. One of our big projects this off season has been to replace our large elevator’s motor. Our new elevator should be up and running in a couple of weeks. We are all very excited.
La Ronge, SK.
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We had an enjoyable two weeks stay. The location was excellent, close to several scenic walks, museums and the downtown area including China Town. The staff, from front desk to housekeeping were helpful and welcoming. We enjoyed the attached restaurant that offered tasty, affordable meals. Our room was large and well equipped. For a long stay, it was handy to have a kitchenette in our room. We appreciated the laundry facilities that were available for guest use. We look forward to a return trip.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
ChrisWatson27, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Thank you very much to the writer for the lovely comments about their stay. We are all very happy you enjoyed your time in Victoria. Our front desk and housekeeping staff always enjoy accommodating our many long stay guests in Victoria’s “off season”.
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I've stayed here twice now on visits to Victoria, and both times I've remembered why I fell in love with this city 28 years ago. The Carlton Plaza is a wonderful hotel of vintage quality: it used to be the Olympic Hotel back in my university years. Now under the Best Western banner, it offers a clean, affordable, and friendly place to stay in the downtown core.

During my first visit in November 2010, I was given a top-floor corner suite with an L-shaped balcony, overlooking the intersection of Douglas and Johnson Streets. The suite was huge and well-furnished, and I couldn't believe how little I paid for it!

I was so impressed that I brought my wife with me on my latest trip, in November 2011. This time, we were given a smaller suite on a different corner, overlooking Johnson Street and Broad Street. Outside, the nightclub scene was bustling, but it added to the "city" ambience. Besides, the Best Western staff had supplied ear plugs, just in case it became too noisy! In the morning, I woke up to a view of lower Johnson Street cloaked in fog, with the bridge silhouetted in the distance. Truly a beautiful sight, and all visible from my corner window!

The staff are fantastic: Chris the manager is eager to please, and he appreciates returning customers. The desk clerks were friendly and helpful, and they offered to let me store my baggage at the hotel, even after I'd checked out (just so I could enjoy some sightseeing around the city)!

I look forward to returning to the Best Western Carlton Plaza again, and I join others on Trip Advisor in heartily recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Top rooms give the best view! Be prepared to put up with the sounds of night life, especially on we...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Hemingway_traveller
Thank you very much to the writer for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We always appreciate our repeat customers, and hope you will book with us again in the future.

I would also like to thank this writer for making sure all former and current residence of Victoria are well aware that our standards are much greater than those of the old Olympic Hotel.
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed from Sunday, February 5th to Wednesday, 8th, in a room overlooking Johnson Street on the 6th floor with a King-size bed.
Found the room to be comfortably sized and with plenty of windows to let in natural light. Some of these windows did partially open, but my husband & I used the built-in fan/air conditioner when necessary instead. The built-in unit seemed to work better (more quietly, more efficiently) than those of other hotels, whether "Best Western" or not. The curtain length above the unit ended just above the unit and, unlike in other hotels, did not block the flow of air from the unit.
We walked to all attractions, restaurants, and shops that we visited while staying at the hotel, including a half hour (one-way) walk to Craigdarroch Castle, the furthest we walked to any of the destinations we visited. Hotel staff were pleasant and accomodating.
We would have preferred a firmer mattress, but covers and pillows were nice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
First of all, I would like to thank the writer for this very friendly review.
As the writer has mentioned, our maintenance staff is always working hard to ensure everything in the room is working well. After staying in a couple of rooms myself, I have also noticed that our heat/AC units work well. The units are cleaned regularly, and will change the temperature of the room quite quickly.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Enjoyed staying in this property. Excellent service. Rooms were nice and well appointed. Hotel has a "no noise' policy and they enforce it. Centrally located, walking distance everything; didn't need a rental car. The only disadvantage is that Johnson Street can get noisy at night. The hotel is aware of that, so they provide you with free earplugs.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Thank you very much to the writer for the review of your stay at the Carlton Plaza. The writer has mentioned we are a downtown, very centrally located hotel. As you can imagine this gives us numerous great advantages, and a few disadvantages. To combat one of these disadvantages we have a “zero tolerance” noise policy after 10pm. If any guests are having difficulties with noisy neighbours, the problem will be taken very seriously, and dealt with appropriately by our end staff.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The location is simply wonderful and it's a walking distance from everything.
Loved the room, specially the bed, which was huge and amazing. Wish I could have taken that with me!
The service was very good as well. Everyone was super friendly and accommodating and helpful, giving directions, calling cabs or suggesting things to do or places to eat.
Will definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you very much to the writer of this review and the wonderful comments. Victoria has so many delicious places to eat, it can sometimes be tricky to narrow down your search. Our front desk staff members are always excited to list off their favourites.