“Excellent Value and Service in Downtown Victoria - Best Western Carlton Plaza Hotel”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Reviewed 27 March 2009

This is the third year in a row that we have stayed here as extended stay guests looking for a break from the long Edmonton winters, we were five weeks this time. The hotel rates are a very good value for budget conscious travellers like us. What makes the Best Western Carlton Plaza exceptional is the level of service provided by its staff, from the front desk and bellmen to housekeeping and maintenance, everyone wanted to help us. My husband is in a wheelchair and the staff were particularly attentive to provide assistance in any way they could. What impressed me most was that all the staff had this attitude - they went the extra step to do their best. We were treated like family and that's why we keep coming back. The hotel is located within short walking/wheeling distance to restaurants, shopping and Chinatown.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Vancouver
Reviewed 20 March 2009

Went on a trip to Victoria with the family to check out the old stomping grounds. I lived there for several years during University and after so both my wife and I were very familiar with the city and wanted a good location from which to launch our trips down memory lane.

I had stayed in this Hotel 20 years ago and didn't think much of it from what I recall but this trip was a pleasant surprise. We really enjoyed our stay and felt none of that harried travelling with children stress that usually accompanies a trip.

Things that were great

>> Staff - Fast helpful and courteous
>> Location - For touring around - Great restaurants
>> Service - Free valet service - Quick response to needs

Things that were not so great

>> Original room was tiny for two adults and two kids but we upgraded to a suite and it was GREAT!

>> A bit of a "bad part of town" but n Victoria that is not saying much. Even the homeless are excruciatingly polite and unobtrusive.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
BWFrontOfficeManager, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2009
Thank you for giving us another chance after 20 years! I'm glad that we were able to plesantly surprise you. We have seen many guests and many changes over our long history which is almost 100 years old! I hope that we can make your next stay with us a perfect one!
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed 13 March 2009

I only stayed at this hotel for two nights in mid week, but enjoyed it very much! The location is right downtown, but I felt very secure at night. It is perfect for someone who doesn't have a car.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was discounted because of the poximity of the nightclub. It didn't bother me at all, but I was staying mid-week, it might be differant on a week-end. Room was very clean, flat panel tv was great (clear picture which I can't say for some high end hotels I have stayed at).
Overal, great value for money. I would stay there again no problem!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
It's wonderful to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. The 37" flat screens television is a new addition to our rooms. Thank you for taking the time to write a review!
Red Deer, Alberta
Reviewed 8 March 2009

We recently had the pleasure of staying at the Best Western Carlton Plaza in beautiful downtown Victoria, BC. I was traveling with my mother and it was very important to me that she had a comfortable travel experience. And did we ever! Our room was superb - the kitchen suite enabled us to enjoy a relaxing morning and to visit with family at our convenience. Our beds were extremely comfortable and we awoke refreshed each morning. Every member of the staff was friendly, helpful and went out of their way to ensure that we were happy and well looked after. We look forward to a return trip and the Best Western Carlton Plaza will be our hotel of choice whenever in Victoria.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming both you and your mother back on your next visit!
High River, Alberta
Reviewed 5 March 2009

The staff was very helpful and friendly and the room was functional although the drain in the tub was very slow. After a shower the tub would take about 15 minutes for the water to totally empty. that was not a problem as one of us showered in the morning and the other in the evening. I would definitely be staying here the next time I visit Victoria.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate feedback from all of our guests. I apologize for the issue with the tub drain. I am pleased to report that we had our maintenance department inspect the tub drains in the hotel to prevent this issue from occuring on future stays.
Regina, SK
Reviewed 18 February 2009

The reception by CONNNIE Stecyk was great - friendly and prompt and accurate - the front counter people were right on the ball, and we did enjoy being welcomed at all times. We stayed 2 more nights because of the room - it was a king size bed with a lovely duvet , and we were impressed with the ability to make a cup of tea and a sandwich when we wanted them. We will come back again I am sure.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We try to make it a point to acknowledge and greet every guest whenever they past the Front Desk. I will also ensure that Connie reads the wonderful comments that you made about her. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Vancouver
Reviewed 18 February 2009

I was going to Victoria for business and did not want to leave my wife and our 11-month-old behind -- so we all came and spent two nights. This was our first hotel stay since the arrival of our baby, and we were delighted by the experience. The room was spacious (king-size bed, sofa, and lots of room for all the 'baby stuff' including a playpen), clean, and very quiet -- which we appreciated especially during our daughter's naps. Our room was on the top floor, which provided for nice views and lots of natural light. A kitchenette came in very handy. Moreover, all the staff we encountered were extremely pleasant and professional -- they certainly helped make our little getaway smooth and relaxing. We will be sure to check into this hotel again next time we are in Victoria.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with family