“Very Sweet”

Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Lovely hotel in downtown Victoria. It's in a refurbished old building. Front desk very informative and helpful. Rooms small but very clean and well appointed. One of the best Best Westerns we have ever stayed at. Most everything within walking distance.
We were able to go whale watching, tour the Parliment Building, museums and the harbor with out moving our car. Public transportation within a block of the hotel and only a 30 minute bus ride to Butchart Gardens, a total must to see. The city of Victoria is very clean and the people are friendly and helpful. For a good breakfast try Willie's just down the street from the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
BestWestCarlton, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2010

It sounds as though you really enjoyed your stay in Victoria! I am glad that we were able to make your stay more comfortable while visiting. We truly appreciated your positive comments, and we hope to see you next time you are in the city!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,194)

Reviewed 13 May 2010

Over the years I have visited Victoria quite a few times and have stayed in various accommodations (hotels/apartments). The best western Carlon Plaza was a real find. The service was great and there was never any problems getting help from the very friendly staff. The hotel facilities were excellent and the standard of rooms left little to be desired. While the hotel does not have a pool they do provide you with passes to the local YMCA which was good.
The one downside and i know that it is outside of the hotel control is the street noise but then its sort of what you expect when you choose to stay in a down town location.
The price I paid I thought was good value for money though I imagine in season it does rise a bit more like all hotels in the city. Over all I would expect that I will return to this hotel on my next visit to Victoria.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo

Thank you for your positive feedback! I believe I speak for all of my staff when I say it is a pleasure to serve our guests. Our friendly staff are always on the lookout for ways in which we can improve our guests stays in Victoria. If you are ever in Victoria again, please feel free to give us a call! We look forward to seeing you again in beautiful Victoria!

Reviewed 8 May 2010

We stayed in a suite for 4 adults. It was spacious very clean and the staff seemed very willing to help. This hotel is situated at the heart of Victoria and well with in walking distance of restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
BWFrontOfficeManager, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2010

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. I will pass on your kind comments to our staff. I believe our staff are truly dedicated to providing the best possible experience to all guests, and I am extremely glad that they were able to do this for you. Thank you for your review, and I hope that we will see you again sometime in the future!

Reviewed 3 May 2010

Some Best Western hotels are better than others and this is one of the nicer ones. Our room was spotless and fresh. It has a good heating and cooling system. The room was spacious and included a kitchen with microwave, fridge etc. along with dishes. Bottled water is complementary each day. The bed was fairly comfortable but wearing out. Free valet parking is very convenient and they retrieve your car quickly when asked. I had forgotten my pillow and an extra coat in the back seat and someone was sent to get it for me and brought it up to my room. They have a new onsite restaurant which we ate at for breakfast. The food was very good. The hotel is at a perfect location. China town is a couple of blocks over in one direction. The Royal BC Museum, Empress Hotel, Inner Harbor etc. are 6/10 mile away in the other direction. Government Street - where all the shops are - is only a block over. I have fibromylagia but was still able to walk since everything was so close. it was easier to walk around then to try to park in the public (fee) parking so it's nice the hotel was so central to everything.
The staff here is very polite and helpful. The hotel makes a peaceful atmosphere a priorty which I very much appreciated.
I was a little concerned after we checked in because even on the fourth floor I could hear the busy street traffic outside our windows. But I was relieved that being a smaller city the traffic practically stops about 11:00PM until mid morning so it didn't bother my sleep at all!
We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary while there and can't wait to come back to Victoria again with our children to share it with them. We will definitely stay at the Best Western Carlton Plaza again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive comments. Our Hotel's location is certainly an asset to many of our guests, and I am very pleased to hear that it assisted with your stay. I sincerely hope that your 30th wedding anniversary was a tremendous success, and I it is my hope that we will see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 29 April 2010

Our room had comfortable furniture including desk, refrigerator, chest of drawers, flat screen TV, wireless high speed internet, coffee maker, kettle, hair dryer. In other words, all the amenities that one expects from a good hotel. They have a comfortable lobby and card lock access to elevators and washrooms. There is wireless Internet and a computer desk in the lobby for guests that want to go online without hauling their own device. Valet parking is prompt and convenient and all staff members were friendly and respectful. The front desk crew made check-in and check-out easy and painless.

The building is older but every part we saw was restored or updated appropriately. With its convenient and quiet location, it is fine value for this popular city.

The hotel has a restaurant offering fine breakfast and lunch service. For dinners, spend time exploring Victoria's vibrant dining scene. The Best Western Carlton is close to many worthy places. One of my favorites is Zambri's serving sophisticated modern northern Italian. Everything is excellent but no place anywhere serves better breads. The open kitchen is fun to watch and you can even complement the chefs as they work. And, if you enjoy good food, you will want to do that.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for your review! I am glad that the new renovations made your stay more comfortable. We are consistently looking for ways to improve our service to all of our guests, and the new renovations certainly do help! New renovations to our hotel include both our lower and upper lobby's, the guest rooms, the floor's hallways, both of our elevators, and many more. Once again, thank you for your kind comments about our hotel, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 April 2010

The hotel was excellent all the way around. The location is ideal and close to all the major attractions. The hotel provided complimentary valet parking and was prompt at bringing up the car when needed. The front desk was very courteous during check-in, check-out and in between. The room was in very good condition and appeared to be recently updated. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind comments to do with our hotel. Our staff here at the Best Western Carlton Plaza are always working hard to ensure that every guest leaves our hotel with a memorable experience. I will certainly pass on your kind comments to our front desk staff, as they will enjoy hearing them! I hope that you enjoyed Victoria as much as enjoyed your time with us, and it is my sincere hope that we will see you again sometime soon!

Reviewed 4 April 2010

I came to Victoria to see my family that lives in town. The location was great, right downtown close to everything you want to see in victoria. The room was much larger then i expected for the price and for being a downtown hotel. All the staff were every friendly and helpful. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
BWFrontOfficeManager, Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2010

I am glad to hear that the location of our hotel made your trip more enjoyable! I hope that you were able to take in some of the sights and sounds of downtown Victoria, as it truly is a beautiful city. Please feel free to return to the Best Western Carlton Plaza at any time. We look forward to seeing you again soon!