“Fantastic!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Comox, British Columbia, Canada
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

We had an excellent weekend in Victoria recently all capped off by the best stay I've had in a hotel in years. The staff was courteous, friendly and helpful and the room was to die for. Enjoyed a few drinks at Clive's Lounge both nights - one of the best retro cocktail bars around and also enjoyed a fabulous meal at Vista 18 with friends which was perfect - the views, servers and food was all top notch.
Can't wait to be back!

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Great review MattyD. Thank you for taking the time to try the hotel, bar and restaurant. Did you know that bar you liked is rated as one of the top 10 hotel bars in the world? Being on the island, you can also see our executive Chef of Vista 18 host a cooking show on CHEK TV every Monday at 8pm called YUM. We hope you can return one day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Highly recommend.
Was here a week ago in a junior suite with a very reasonable price. Location is just a short walk from the museum and downtown shopping and restaurants.We had a nice living room, kitchen and a comfortable bed/bedroom. Very clean. This is not one of the "cool" or modern, "artsy" hotels just friendly, warm and welcoming. Excellent service from a helpful staff. We had breakfast in the rooftop restaurant which has great views. Again, price was reasonable and service excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Welcome home xbcrat, I am glad to hear you had a great time in our city and our hotel.
Vancouver BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

I have stayed here twice with family. Then hotel is nicely located in downtown Victoria, a couple blocks from Government Street. However it is not so close that you get lots of noise, aside from the seagulls. The rooms are large. The rooms we stayed in had a separate bedroom and in the main room there was a couch, Queen bed, sink, mini fridge and table. We have been in another room that had two bedrooms and a further Queen bed in the suite area. This is a good location for a large family or a family that likes its space. hallways are old but clean. Top floor has a nice restaurant/bar with view. We didn't try out their main floor restaurant. Parking was extra. We will stay here again. A warning - I didn't go into the pool which is on the second floor but noticed a strong chlorine smell in the 2nd floor hallway. I would avoid that floor.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I've done extensive traveling to Europe, the U.S. and Canada and this is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. The cost was amazing, the staff extremely helpful, the room wonderful! Everything was extremely clean, the beds were very comfortable and the view of the sunset so beautiful. The lobby was very comfortable, attractive and a great place to "people watch". I highly recommend the Chateau Victoria in Victoria, BC!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review Oktravelinggirls, It is always nice to hear such positive comments from well traveled people like you. We hope you return one day.
Leduc, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Just came back from a trip from Victoria, this hotel and its staff are tops the room was excellent the views of the harbor were wonderful. The staff were courteous and kind. The front desk staff were more than helpful to help us find and go the places we wanted to visit . The shuttle bus guy was the greatest. Went far out of his way to help us in and out at just the right place and explained so much about this beautiful city to us. We will be back and cant wait>

Room Tip: we went on a group tour so our room was chosen for us we are both somewhat handicapped and believe...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Jean C,
Thank you for your wonderful review. I will be sure to pass it to our staff to look at as I think I encourages more of the same great service. The bellman look after the shuttle as well so I am glad to hear they are taking their hospitality on the road. It is also gratifying to hear we met your need for a room that made it comfortable for mobility challenges. We sure hope you can return one day.
Nanoose Bay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

This hotel is close to everything you'll want to see and great shopping in downtown Victoria.
Its near the harbor and a selection of great restaurants.
Only ate breakfast at this hotel but the food was outstanding and so was the view.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sharon863
Thank you for your great review Sharon863
You hit all the hot points that people like about this hotel. I am glad our chef's efforts to make the menu 80% local food are being recognized for taste not just a good environmental initiative. Executive Chef Garrett Schack is hosting a TV Cooking show on CHEK starting October 1 at 8pm all about cooking with local food. I hope it temps you to return soon.
Ayr, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

My heart wanted to stay at the Fairmont Empress Hotel but our pocketbook put an end to that idea. So we chose the Chateau Victoria.

We were impressed the moment we arrived. Beautiful flowers and seating areas outside and friendly, helpful staff inside. We booked in for one night and asked if our room would be available for a second night if we decided to stay. We were told it should be no problem. We checked into our room and really liked it. We took a walk around Victoria's beautiful harbour area and went back to the hotel to book another night. The hotel and Victoria, plus the cost of the ferry from Vancouver made the decision an easy one. One day in Victoria is just not enough.

Excellent service. When I got up I made a pot of coffee. I also wanted a cup of tea so I plugged in the kettle. Before the water boiled a fuse was blown. Since the phone didn't work I went downstairs to report it. The front desk person said there was a control panel on the wall by the entrance and that he'll send up someone to fix it. I said I should be okay flipping the switch and told them I'd phone if I didn't succeed. Well, I'm not very handy at these things and had no luck. I'm about to go to the front desk again (since we still had no working phone) when there's a knock at the door. It was a service man who was sent up by the front desk when I didn't call after a minute. I don't think service gets any better than that. Thanks, guys!

Breakfast is not included so we decided to have breakfast in the hotel's Vista 18 - on the 18th floor. We lucked out and got a corner table that gave us spectacular views of Victoria. From our table we could look down at the Empress and the other hotels in Victoria. As for my breakfast (two eggs over-easy, sourdough toast, home-fries, bacon, a mound of freshly made chips!!, coffee and juice), it was the best I have ever eaten in a hotel. No. It was better than any breakfast anywhere. The egg yolks were not anemic like the ones we usually get. These were almost orange! And tasty! The whole dish was creatively put together. The kitchen staff certainly know what they're doing and I sent them my compliments.

Both nights we ended up having a drink and listening to live music (no cover) in Vista 18. Enjoying the music high above the city at night was as pleasant as the breakfast.

The Chateau Victoria is an independent hotel and I hope it stays that way. Highly recommended.

1 Thank kanadai
I am so glad to you choose us over the Empress. Sorry about the phone and fuse causing a rough start but I am glad everything worked out. I am also really happy to see you recognized the extra effort our culinary crew go to to bring local food to your table. It does make a difference. We sure hope you can visit Victoria and the Chateau Victoria again.