“Comfortable hotel with great views”

Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minnesota
“Comfortable hotel with great views”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here for one night in July. We booked a Junior Suite on the 4th floor but at the time of check-in, we were upgraded to a bigger suite with two beds on a higher floor with great views of the city. The hotel was in an excellent location - 5 minutes walking to BC parliament, museums, waterfront, and other attractions. The bus to the Butchart Gardens starts right in front of the hotel, which is very convenient. The only negative is that the hotel is situated on a steep hill. It will be difficult to carry/drag your luggage from the bus terminal if it is heavy. We did not eat at the restaurant, and use the spa, so I cannot write about them. One of the elevators was not working at that time, but it was not bad. Overall, we had a good stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Thank you RNA - MN for choosing the Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites for your stay during your visit to Victoria. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the suite, they are quite spacious and offer the little extras of home. We also offer a complementary shuttle service to and from the bus terminal, may we suggest during your next visit you are more than welcome to call our front desk directly to request our bellmen to assist you to the hotel. Thank you again for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Victoria.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have to admit a bit of a bias when it comes to anything Victoria, B.C. Visiting Victoria brings back fond memories of the weekend trips with my cousins and my grandparents that dotted my teenage years. Victoria was also my first “destination date” with the boyfriend I eventually married, and we returned for our honeymoon a year and half later. Each visit is unique and I fall more and more in love the island.

Our most recent visit to Victoria was in February, a week before the start of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, B.C. We were hoping to avoid the tourists we were sure the games would bring from mainland and we were right. Victoria is its most beautiful in the spring when flower baskets and gardens are in bloom, but even in late winter, with the gray skies and drizzle, it was welcoming with a certain old world charm and modern elegance, something we found in our accomodations at Chateau Victoria.

We were met with friendly curbside service at the ferry dock by the courtesy van and whisked to the hotel not even five minutes away. Because we took the early ferry, we had been ready to just check in our bags and roam downtown until a room was available at the normal check in time but we were provided a room right away.Our one-bedroom suite had a spacious living room, nicely appointed in calming colors and a modern design scheme with a dining area that overlooked a panaroma of downtown buildings and the harbor. The bathroom was roomy, with lovely-smelling Deserving Thyme amenities and in the bedroom, separated from the living room by French doors, was an inviting king-sized bed that had naptime written all over it.

Located in the heart of downtown Victoria, the hotel is just a quick walk (or leisurely stroll if the weather is cooperative) from the Inner Harbour and major attractions like Miniature World, the Parliament buildings, the Royal London Wax Museum, shopping areas like The Bay Centre and Antique Row, with diverse dining options every which way. Victoria’s downtown is always bustling, but its eclectic mix of storefronts keep the city blocks quaint and delightful enough that a long day of exploring doesn’t seem very long at all.

But if your feet disagree, Chateau Victoria’s facilities include a whirlpool and lap pool to take you off your feet and if you’re so inclined, in-room spa services are also available. If you’re not in the mood to venture out for dinner, the hotel offers room service and houses Vista 18, Victoria’s only rooftop restaurant as well as Clive’s Lounge. I indulged in room service after my nap and the excellent lemon chicken sandwich lunch was accompanied by the friendliest of service. A convenience kitchen equipped with a microwave, coffee maker and a mini fridge helped our next day start right (along with a filling breakfast from room service). Later that day, while we waited to be taken back to the ferry dock, we soaked in the panoramic view of the city from Vista 18’s wine and martini bar and enjoyed a tasty array of tapas plates of edamame, wings, dry cracked pepper ribs, celery root fries and potato sticks.

Whether you’re traveling for business or pleasure, Chateau Victoria is an excellent place to stay. With its complimentary internet connection, I was able to get a lot of work done and stay in contactwith associates in the U.S. when my cell phone coverage failed me. I did eschew the comfortable desk for an even more comfortable armchair and ottoman as my workspace. The only negative of the whole stay was a headboard that squeaked at the slightest motion, so
a middle of the night trip to the bathroom was as inconspicuous as a choir of cats. But that’s truly a small price to pay for the comfort of a pillow top king-size bed, high thread count sheets and a down duvet. From a suite that lacked for nothing to the efficient and accomodating customer service, staying at Chateau Victoria made our quick weekend getaway seem much too short.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you Garethmb for your wonderful and thorough review. You have certainly described a pleasurable visit to Victoria and of the Chateau Victoria. Thank you for choosing us for your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Victoria.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here for two nights. I probably wouldn't have stayed here if I didn't get a discount on a one bedroom suite which was funny since they quoted me the discount and when I checked in it stated the discount, but when I was checked out they were trying to charge me a higher rate. I told them that it was wrong but I had to wait around while they "confirm" that I was correct, which was silly since I showed them the email quoting the discount and the slip they gave me.
The room I had was a one bedroom suite and it wasn't well ventilated so I had trouble sleeping. Even turning on the air conditioning didn't work as it is a noisy machine. I had called the front desk too to let them know that in the bathroom the bathtub was plugged and water wouldn't drain quickly. I thought they would have come and fix it during housekeeping hours, but when we came back it was the same. Perhaps in the future after cleaning a room that should be something to check for.
The only thing I can phrase this hotel is on the location, but other than that, a short stay it is okay but not longer than 2 nights.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
mpaul1202, Manager at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you again for your review and taking the time to respond to our email. We were disappointed to learn about your experience during your stay with us and have shared your experience with both our front desk team and our executive housekeeper for their immediate attention. Thank you again and if I can be any of assistance before or during your next stay please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
singapore
Reviewed 11 November 2013

stayed at this hotel for 2 nights over the halloween weekend. it was clean and comfortable and conveniently located. For those who take Pacific Coach from Vancouver to Victoria, this hotel is just about 10 mins walk from the bus terminal. Many attractions are within walking distance from the hotel. For eg Chinatown is about a 20 mins walk away and BC Museum is about 15 mins walk (i am a fast walker).
The only problem i have with the room is that the fridge is rather noisy. Other than that I enjoyed my stay and is likely to return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you angstansg for your kind review and for choosing the Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites for your getaway to Victoria. You have described how easy it really is to stay in downtown Victoria. The Pacific Coach Line is a great way to come to Victoria and as you confirmed we are only minutes away from the bus terminal and all the main attractions of downtown. We do offer a complementary shuttle and our bellmen would be more than happy to pick you up or drop you off at the terminal or areas of the downtown area. We are sorry to hear about the refrigerator in the room, we would have loved to hear from you during your stay so that our maintenance team can assist you right away. We look forward to welcoming you back to Victoria and thank you again for your kind review!
Qualicum Beach
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We found this hotel very central to everything. We were a block from the convention centre and the Empress, and a few blocks from The Bay Centre and downtown shopping. This hotel is in walking distance to a lot of restaurants too.
The room was very comfortable ( the bed was extremely comfortable) although the bathroom was a tight squeeze. They used a good brand of shampoo, etc. The rooms include a fridge which is always helpful. Their is a busy centre right in the lobby so it is easy to check your email if you do not bring your laptop.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you Dawn for choosing the Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites and for your very kind review. We are happy that you enjoyed your room during your stay with us. We do offer small fridges in all of our rooms which is very handy when you want to bring your comfort foods along with you. We also have some of our suites with full refrigerators with kitchens when you might want to stay in Victoria a little longer. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Victoria.
Kent, Washington, United States
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is a very pleasant Hotel in a beautiful area, walking distance to the waterfront, shopping and the Empress Hotel. The room was average size, traditional style, view of the roof next door. What I loved about this hotel; as we were checking in they put out a beautiful display of fresh cold apples and offered them to us, the beds were beautiful white fluffy and warm. Hubby and I each had our own bed that we stretched out, napped and watched TV in, before we moved into one bed for the evening. The shampoo, soaps and lotions were excellent and my favorite "Bath and Body Works". The staff was friendly (teased us about playing in the elevator, when we went to the wrong floor" and helpful "extended late checkout until 1:30 pm without charge".

Room Tip: I would think the higher floors would have a much better view. The restaurant is on the 19th floor...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you Mark for your thoughtful review. We are very happy to learn that you had a very positive experience with us during your stay. It sounds like you and your husband had a fun and relaxing week-end. Please be assured that your gracious comments have been shared with our entire team ~ everyone enjoys a great review. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Victoria.
Windsor
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Cannot say enough about how great the staff were at this hotel. They really do everything they can to make sure your stay is perfect. They drove and to the our Whale watching trip and even picked us up. They are always so helpful. The hotel was a great location.The restaurant was good food and a great view of Victoria from the top of the hotel. Rooms were nice and clean. A bit small, but after the great service we had at this hotel I would not want to stay anywhere else in Victoria.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you c_gam for choosing the Chateau Victoria and for your kind review. Please be assured that your gracious comments have been shared with our entire team ~ everyone enjoys a great review! Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Victoria.