“Great Spot”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
KC, MO
“Great Spot”
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

I couldn't have asked for a better hotel location short of The Empress right at the Inner Harbour. The Coast sits at the southwestern end of the Harbour midway between downtown and Fisherman's Wharf. It looks out on its own marina area and has a lovely walkway at the water's edge into town. The large room with comfortable furniture had a sliding glass door and small patio one one side and windows that I could open for cross breeze that also allowed me to see the bay. This is only the only hotel I can recall that provided large bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body wash rather than being relegated to travel-size. I had a small refrigerator, coffee machine and free wireless. No concerns from a clean freak. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 3 nights here at the end of our trip around Vancouver island. The front desk staff were friendly and check in was quick and efficient. Our room was very clean, updated and nicely decorated. We weren't very high up unfortunately but still had a view of the ocean and a little balcony to go out on. The pool was wonderful with both an outdoor and indoor swimming area! Our only complaint was the pillows which were a little too flat. The location however was fantastic as we were able to walk to the parliament buildings and inner harbour as well as over to fisherman's wharf to see the resident seal!

Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Lucky having that location, a pretty clean hotel but related to staff interaction with guests they have to work at. For more than 4 days getting in or out I never saw some one greeting or exchanging a word with the guests, the bathroom had black spots on the grout between tiles but I'll be unfair not to say that overall it was clean.
For sure I'll return to this wonderful town called Victoria but for sure I'll avoid this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cristian C
Alberta
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel last weekend and it was in a nice area of Victoria a little ways from downtown but away from the busy busy streets and on the water. For us the location was great.
The check in was smooth, and there was a parkade for $12 for the night( It closes at 11pm and we couldn't get in, so the hotel reversed the charge for us)
We had stayed in 2 other Coast hotels on the trip in Kamploops and Nanimo(which were great and I would recommend, especially the Nanimao one) so we had high expectations, and I was a little disappointed. This was the highest priced of the three hotels and was not as nice or clean or modern. The rooms were spacious but could use and update. The hallways and room had a bit of an old musty smoke smell and the room just seemed kind of old and tired.
I cant comment on the pool or restaurant as we didn't use it during our stay.
Overall this hotel was just ok. It had a great location on the water but it needs some work to compare to other Coast hotels. I would probably not stay here again if visiting Victoria.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Although this hotel was not in the main town , the water taxi stopped outside. We had a comfort room but with side views of the harbour which were delightful . Fishermans wharf is about a 5 minute walk away . The staff were very helpful . The view from the restaurant must be one of the best in the harbour . The food was of a very good standard . We would very happily stay here again

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I was almost afraid to book this hotel because the room cost was so much lower than what i was finding at other hotels in Victoria. I was so pleasantly surprised!! We showed up and the hotel was very nice, had a great corner view of the water and got to watch sea planes land just outside our window. Request a waterfront view upper floor and you should be very happy. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The hotel is not in the middle of everything so you do have to walk for a few minutes to get places but that was great with us!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelfam6-8
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I was on a multi-city vacation and chose the Coast Harborside Victoria Hotel as part of my Clipper Vacation package. (Notably, I see that name order switched around all the time.) But you know the Coast Harbor when you see it because of the big lit C on the building. I came into Victoria on the Victoria Clipper ferry and passed by the hotel on our way into the inner harbor. I've never stayed in a Coast Harbor hotel before, but this was a truly wonderful hotel and certainly my favorite of all the brands I stayed in on this long trip.

From the ferry terminal, I walked up the hill of the parking lot and onto the sidewalk, turned right past the other hotel and apt complex, turned the corner to the right, and there was the Coast hotel on the right. It's definitely walkable from the inner harbor ferries, about five minutes.

Check in was not especially fast, but it was easy and friendly. There are bathrooms next to the main entrance in the front of the lobby.

I did not request a harbor view room, but my large, comfortable room had a Juliet balcony with the harbor to the right and the tops of the cruise ships in the outer harbor to the left. The air conditioning worked great. There's a mini hair dryer and a mini fridge, but no safe in the room. A large couch, a coffee table, and a desk round out the room. The bathroom is large with wonderful family-style products that I really liked!

I loved the hotel so much that I know it can compete with the highest quality hotels. It need only get more upscale bathroom counters, tiles, and fixtures. Don't get me wrong, it's very, very nice, but it has the potential to be a five star hotel at a three or four star price. The housekeeper was friendly and unobtrusive, and maintenance replaced a light bulb before I even got back to the room. The front desk has a two-key system for their safety deposit boxes at the front desk.

Perhaps the best amenity of the hotel is the concierge, who also offers a shuttle service into downtown Victoria. Walking into downtown Victoria is easy! Five to ten minutes. But if someone has difficulty walking or is going as far as Chinatown, for example, the shuttle really comes in handy. The hotel is very close to the inner harbor, the govt building, and the Empress Hotel. But the shuttle is there if you need it. The concierge, especially Emilio, can give excellent restaurant and spa recommendations. We followed up on two of his dinner recommendations and could not have been more pleased: Sookjaithai Thai food at Fort & Quadra and Nautical Nellie's on the harbor. We also booked a tour through the concierge.

I ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast twice. The window tables offer floor to ceiling views of the harbor. You can watch the ferries, the water taxis, and the sea planes coming in and out. The food was excellent, though a bit pricey, and the service was efficient.

There's a harbor side path you can take to get to downtown Victoria that is a bit longer than the street route, but it's flatter and thus a bit easier for some walkers. It runs right behind the hotel. Take the steps down from the pool level.

Probably all the hotels in the harbor area are comparable, but this hotel really stole my heart with their personal service. I will definitely return to this hotel, even if I'm not booking a Clipper package. I loved it! It exceeded my every expectation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends