“Great Hotel!”

Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
California
“Great Hotel!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed 3 nights in a junior suite. The room was fantastic. It had a separate wet bar area with a refrigerator, sink and microwave. There were even dishes and utensils etc provided for by the hotel. The room also had a separate sitting area with a large sofa and flat screen tv and another tv in the bedroom area. The bathroom was huge and even had a heated floor. If you stay for 2 nights or more, you get a lovely cheese platter in their tapas lounge and each day you get a coupon for a beverage and pastry in the morning in the cafe or you can get 3.00 off if you order from the menu. We had lattes and muffins every morning and they were great. The location is in the downtown area, close to Chinatown and about 10 minutes walking form the waterfront area. A great hotel. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor away from the main street. They are quieter.
2 Thank cetravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Salt Spring Island, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We spent one night and found the location just perfect for shopping and walking to the Inner Harbour. The staff were extremely professional and helpful, the king size bed very comfortable, the hotel newly renovated, and it was such a lovely touch receiving coupons for a delicious cheese plate, morning beverage (I had a Chai latte!) and either a pastry or $3 off breakfast. What a deal!
The cafe was bright and cheery, and the bar served an amazing choice of cocktails. I thought I'd be bothered by traffic noise but slept through it all with no problem. I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the fourth floor facing the side street rather than Douglas so it may have been qui...
5 Thank Elodie S
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2013

This hotel is 'somewhat' conveniently located downtown, but close to the outer edge. The benefits...Staff was exceptional, rooms were clean, beds were uber comfy. Downside, our room didn't have one chair or table, to work on my laptop I had to sit on my bed! Not great for a business trip. Also, the area was very 'seedy' and they didn't have staff like I've seen in areas in the US like New Orleans and Portland, who...well just kind of 'help' you outside when you come and go so you're not approached by druggies and street people. Also, the parkade is across the street in a very precarious area, where my 76 yr old mother and I saw a drug deal happening right outside the parking area. When we had to leave at 5 am to go the airport, the doors of the hotel were locked to get out! We had to wait around for staff,who didn't walk us (women, myself and 76 yr old mother to scary parking area, and we were immediately accousted by a lady clearly under the influence of drugs, very discomforting and I felt very unsafe. I seriously would have a hard time coming back due to the location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jasygirl
Rob C, Director of Sales at Hotel Rialto, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate the opportunity to hear about our guest’s experiences. I was happy to hear you enjoyed interactions with the staff and found our beds to be comfortable (we receive many comments on them). As any business that resides in a vibrant downtown core, exposure to different aspects of downtown life occur. Unfortunately, not all of it is positive. While Victoria, like many larger centres, has a diverse demographic downtown, it is widely regarded as an extremely safe city. I was sorry to hear that you were approached by a person that made you feel unsafe, I understand how that can be very unsettling. I hope you will return to Victoria as the beauty and attractions most certainly outweigh the challenges. Should you return and wish to stay with us again, I personally guarantee we will do everything within our ability to provide you with a feeling of safety and security.
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed three nights before heading back to the USA. The room was HUGE with twin queens, and the price was excellent. Michael was especially helpful. The hotel was within easy walking distance of all the downtown sights and restaurants. I will certainly stay there again if I ever visit Victoria.

Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2013

My Mother and I stayed just one night and loved it! Right downtown with walking distance to most sights, especially Chinatown. Check in was friendly and prompt, were given a top floor corner unit which was huge (2 queens beds and really comfy bedding), overlooking Douglas St it was a bit noisy. We were given a coupon for a complimentary cheese platter (from the restaurant) which we decided to take to our room to enjoy with a bottle of wine relaxing from our drive from Vancouver. Later we enjoyed the tapas in the restaurant - which recently won an award for best new restaurant. The menu was very inventive and we chose shrimp in sambucca sauce, there were lots of choices for sharing plates. The wines and cocktails were a little pricey - but tasty! Dessert menu - you could choose 3 items from the menu for $10 - so it was great if you couldn't decide. Service was excellent and friendly and there was a great atmosphere. Coffee and pastry were complimentary in the coffee lounge at breakfast, I chose to use my coupon towards the yogurt, granola and fruit preserve... absolutely delicious. The only downside was no adjacent parking (across the road a block away and $15), as my mother has mobility issues this could have been a problem - but I was lucky to find a street parking spot right out side the door and being a Sunday I didn't have to put money in the meter until the next morning. This hotel has a unique programme - whereby if you forgo housekeeping (i.e. toiletry items replenishment, towels, bed making) for more than a day you can save on your bill!..Would definitely recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank susiq101
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I always stay at the Rialto when on business in Victoria, Why? Because I like being greeted by name, getting the quiet back room location they know I prefer, having an option to "go green"' and having excellent restaurants for breakfast and dinner right in the hotel. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If street noise might bother you, ask for a quiet back room. No view, but nice and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank catha14
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed one night on a cycling trip headed back to the mainland. A very reasonable price. The hotel had a very European feel, including the numbering of the floors, beginning at 1 on the floor above the lobby floor. We had a street view but noise was not an issue. Front desk staff were excellent, with good advice and restaurant suggestions, although we are regular travellers very familiar with Victoria. The recent renovations made for comfortable modern rooms. The hotel accomodated our bike storage in a large basement room, accessible by elevator or stairs. This could have been better organized but is the limitation of an old building. The hotel has a good opportunity to promote itself as cyclist friendly.