“Lovely boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel Rialto

Hotel Rialto
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Excellent service, very helpful, went the extra mileto confirm reservations, well appointed room with fridge and microwave. Good location, a bit at the end of the tourist trail but one block from a historic synagogue, if that is of interest. Free wifi, free continental breakfast, free cheese platter in the bar/restaurant. Would highly recommend.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Rialto

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed, my wife and I, two days (Sun. and Mon.) at Hotel Rialto, wanting to see Butchart Gardens (among other things) on Vancouver Island, so we rented a car in Seattle and drove to Port Angeles to take the Black Ball ferry to Victoria. The ferry was supposed to leave Port Angeles at 5:20 PM and arrive 90 minutes later at Victoria, which would have been an OK late check-in anywhere. However, a ferry mishap caused a delay of 4 hours so we arrived at the Rialto just after 11 PM. I'd called to let them know we'd be late, and the desk manager stayed after his shift to make sure we got checked in. Street parking is free until 9 AM, so it wasn't the problem I'd imagined it would be. In fact, we never paid anything for parking our entire stay. Of course, we did a lot of driving...

The Rialto is a corner, 4 story building with 34 rooms, Although built in 1911, it's been completely modernized. We stayed in #401, a Superior King Room. The room was modern, clean, relatively spacious. Very quiet, firm mattress. The bathroom was quite large. Free Wi-Fi. Included in the fare was a complimentary pastry and coffee at the Cafe Veneto entered via the lobby. An alternative was $3 off a "full" breakfast, which one of us had: braised short rib hash with two poached eggs and caramelized onions and some Italian flatbread to help with the yolks. Incredibly good. Also, a huge assortment of really good, large muffins, specialty bread and croissants. Next day we tried the duck confit hash breakfast, also good. We never got to avail ourselves of the complementary evening cheese platter.

The Rialto is located near Victoria's Chinatown, which is entered via elaborate ornamental pillared arch over Fisgard Street, but extends only one block. It's supposed to be the oldest Chinatown in Canada. Not sure being older carries any cachet with me; at least because it's so small, it's easy to see everything by strolling down one side of the street and strolling back the other side, but I digress.

We failed to avail ourselves of the complimentary nearby fitness center, which may have had a pool, so I didn't enter a rating. Also, even though late July, temperatures were in the mid-60's so we didn't use any A/C, just heat. Heating was quiet.

Maybe the only disadvantage to the Hotel Rialto is that it's rather far from the harbor area with its floating fish restaurants and other interesting things to see. But if we return to Victoria, we'd certainly stay at Hotel Rialto again.

1  Thank JohnVic_11
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I go to Victoria at least a couple of times a year, and I've probably stayed in over 30 hotels, from the Empress on down to a budget 2-star that shall go unnamed. There are a few my husband and I have liked enough to stay in more than once, but after the Rialto we don't think there will be anymore Victoria hotel hopping. This is the place.

This hotel doesn't have the most brilliant location, but it's not too far to Chinatown, and everything else is walkable. That's its only downside, and as far as I'm concerned, it's a minor downside.

Everything else is five stars, from the friendly and professional staff, to the comfortable beds, to the quiet rooms, to the really nice food in the restaurant. It's not a luxury property with people fawning all over you and room service and the morning papers delivered to your door. If you need that, stay at the Empress. But if you want great value for money, stay at the Rialto.

I want to especially mention the decor. Yes, it's a hotel, and the decor is "hotelsy", but whoever their decorator was has an amazing sense of how to put neutrals together to create a warm, soothing palette. The beds and bed linens were very good, the towels and toiletries better than average, and my pillow was one of the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel. And our room, 302, was large and very quiet, perhaps because it was an interior room.

We took my husband's aunt to dinner in the restaurant and we all enjoyed what we ordered. We each had yoghurt, compote, and granola for breakfast, and it was really delicious.

Kudos to this hotel. May they live long and prosper.

Room Tip: If you like quiet rooms, ask for one that opens onto the interior courtyard.
1  Thank BonnieLeeW
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Located in a re-done heritage building, Hotel Rialto is boutique style, a nice change from the larger type hotel chains. The hotel was clean, fresh, comfortable, nicely decorated and very welcoming despite being on a busy downtown street. Unlike downtown, inside the hotel was a feeling of peacefulness, professionalism, unrushed, laid back and very accommodating. It was not noisy at all perhaps as we were in an inside room. Special tribute to Bobby at the front desk who was quite polished, warm, friendly and helpful. In fact, all staff we dealt with were warm, friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms but it was fine for two people and included a kitchen sink, dishes, mini fridge and microwave. The hotel is In the heart of downtown, a less than 10 minute walk to the inner harbor with good stores, restaurants and sites all along the way. Parking is 1 block away in a secure lot in a sketchier part of town yet we always felt safe. Very pleasant, intimate, laid back dining area with 1 free non alcoholic beverage and snack per day (excellent muffins!). A lesson in rash judgements: when we first pulled up to the hotel we were disappointed as the area felt quite busy/"downtownish" but once we entered and settled in we were especially happy with choosing this hotel. We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Some reviews mention the hotel being noisy. That was not our experience perhaps because we had an in...
2  Thank aqua147
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I booked this hotel base on Tripadvisor reviews - and I was extremely happy with my choice ( this is the reason I decided to write my review as well). It has great location, very friendly and supportive team at front desk, that are glad to help you, very comfortable bed. Complimentary coffee and cheese plate were very tasty. The room was really nice too. After Victoria I went to Vancouver where for the same money I didn't get half of the quality I received here. I will recommend this hotel to all my friends and will stay again if I have a chance. Thank you so much for attention to details and quality service !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank tatira
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I travel a lot for business and used to stay at large chain hotels. A friend recommended the Hotel Rialto as a good alternative. He was wrong. It turned out to be a superior alternative.

The people, the welcoming atmosphere, gathering for great coffee in the morning, wonderful conversations after work in the lounge and the well appointed rooms all add up to my first five-star rating on Trip Advisor.

Well done.
And yes, I will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side face a busy street. It might be an issue if you are a light sleeper. The f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Joseph S
MaureenKelly, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your first FIVE STAR review. We appreciate your positive words. Come back soon!

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We booked a stay here for a couple nights on our first anniversary! Victoria is a great city to visit, but the Hotel Rialto didn't quite live up to the reviews we read or the price we paid. The lobby is clean and the staff was very nice. There was a small breakfast restaurant downstairs that we enjoyed both mornings (ticket for free coffee and muffin with your room!), and there was a nice looking bar and restaurant inside the hotel that we did not get a chance to try.

Our room was decorated as expected and also had heating and cooling which was nice. There is a LOT of street noise at this hotel so make sure you use those earplugs the Rialto provides! We are not from the city so the noise made sleeping pretty difficult. Also inside our room we noticed a nasty white stain on the black curtains by the bed. Yes, THAT kind of stain. It would have been easy for housekeeping to overlook, but it was pretty big and once we saw it we couldn't see anything else! Gross. Thankfully we didn't notice it until our last morning so we left a note and hoped it would be gone for the next guests.

Don't count on the pay-per-view movie service in your room. It was $13 to watch a ho-hum movie that came in so poorly on our TV that we couldn't even tell what was going on. Thankfully the front desk refunded the charge without much fuss.

The Rialto is not in a nice part of downtown Victoria. On the same block was an "adult shop" a loan shark and a dollar tree. Parking is a couple blocks away on a sketchy street in a lot surrounded by chain link fencing and barbed wire. Hopefully you don't get parking stall #1 because there was a tree above it and that car had a ton of bird poo on it!

With all the great reviews we read I was not expecting any of our negative experiences. The staff was nice, but the Hotel Rialto did not live up to our expectations.

4  Thank Phil862013

Congratulations on your first anniversary and thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. Please be assured that we take your feed back very seriously. Your feedback has given us the opportunity to reflect on our amenities and services so that we can make the changes necessary to continue to perform at a superior level.
Our parking lot is located one small block away; as you mentioned it is a secured lot surrounded by gates as the security of our guest cars is our number one priority.
If you ever return to Victoria and decide to stay with us, please contact me directly and I will be happy to make sure that you are assigned to a room in the interior of the Hotel.

Kindest Regards,