“What a gem!”

Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Oakville, Canada
“What a gem!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I've stayed in many high end (and expensive) boutique hotels before, but this time, traveling on my own I was on a tighter budget.

Hotel Rialto provides an incredibly luxurious experience for a reasonable price! Let me walk you through everything that makes this hotel great:

-Perfect location, if you're traveling without a car the bus stop is across the street which will take you to the ferry terminal (to get back to Vancouver etc.) and Butchart Gardens etc.
- All the main attractions in Victoria are within walking distance
- The public market is almost next door (which is an indoor farmers market of sorts, think St. Lawrence Market in Toronto or Granville Island in Vancouver, but much smaller) and is a great place to get a great sandwich, coffee or treats to bring back to your room.
- Staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. Traveling on my own I had a lot of questions on how to get around and they were always happy to help and even happily accommodated all my requests such as early check-in, late check-out and switching to a room with a better view
- Public areas in the hotel are bright and inviting, and make you feel like you're splurging on a luxury hotel.
- The hotel isn't too big so you're not waiting for elevators or to check in/out
- Rooms are perfectly equipped with huge flat screen tv's, mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, bathrobes, ihome docking station/alarm clock, and even heated bathroom floors!
- The beds are super comfortable
- Free cheese platter in the restaurant is a lovely welcome treat. I recommend pairing it with a wine tasting flight. Service in the restaurant was amazing, and while I didn't have much beyond the cheese plate (I did add charcuterie to make it more of a meal, and that was delicious!) all the food people were having around me looked incredible.
- The free continental breakfast in the morning was perfect. If you're a big breakfast eater, don't expect quantity, your voucher entitles you to a coffee or espresso based beverage (their cappuccinos were divine) and a pastry or muffin (also delicious) which to me is the perfect way to start the day.
- There is a great wine and liquor store right in the bottom of the hotel. Being from Ontario I was surprised at how much higher BC alcohol prices were, however, this store seems to have lower prices than I saw elsewhere in BC, so that combined with the fact they offer a 10% discount to hotel guests is a great place to stock up on whatever you need.

I don't know if this would be the ideal hotel for families as the rooms are a bit smaller than the traditional hotel room (think big budget hotel chains) and doesn't have a pool, but for couples, solo or business, I don't think you're going to beat it.

I certainly will stay here any time I return to Victoria.

Room Tip: Because of the layout of the hotel, some rooms lookout onto another wall of the hotel and therefore...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Natasha W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We weren't sure what it would be like as the price was very reasonable for a downtown hotel close to the centre of things. When we entered the reception area our spirits were raised by the excellent decor and artwork and general air of refinement. The front desk staff were very helpful thoughout our visit. The room was very clean, well equipped and very comfortable. We enjoyed the complimentary pastry and coffee breakfast each day but did not try their tapas restaurant as we were out every evening.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Well located, clean, friendly, good value. Not super fancy but very nice! Ok so the welcome cheese plate and roasted garlic might mean I'm now bias but hey what can I say they won me over. Friendly front desk and good service all around. No room service but the in lobby wonderful restaurant will set you up for good take away set ups.

Select the green option, they don't clean your room but you get an extra 20$ of food free, I dint pick this option... I like my sheets tucked when I travel.... lol

it is right on the street so it you are a light sleeper you may want to use the ear plugs they provide.... I never needed them!

Really enjoyed it and would stay again happily.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Boise Idaho USA
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Rialto May 30 - June 2, 2014. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The hotel's rooms were well appointed, clean and very quiet. We were impressed with their "green" option to forgo room servicing daily for a ten dollar credit/day. The food in the restaurant was excellent.

There was a liquor store right next door with and excellent selection of wines and they offered a ten percent discount for hotel guests.

Room Tip: We had the junior queen suite. It was very roomy and included a sink, fridge, and microwave.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jjmarconi
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed for two nights in a Superior Queen room. It was clean and well furnished but a little small. The bathroom was well equipped but there was no tub. The central downtown location allowed easy walking access to the main central attractions. There was a little street noise but not really a problem. Staff were cordial and knowledgeable. The room rate was excellent and the breakfast coupons and the cheese tray voucher made it an even better value. We would definitely stay at Hotel Rialto on our next visit. If staying more than two nights, I would recommend upgrading to a larger room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Gary C
Lethbridge, Alberta
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Rialto for 5 nights as I was at a conference. The location is great and easy walking distance to everything downtown. I was given a suite due to some mixup in my reservation and that was amazing. It was huge, clean and convenient. I requested a quiet room so no view (except outside walls) which made it a bit dark but it was my choice to choose quiet over view. It was very comfortable and quiet (except Sunday morning when I hear pounding music very early in the morning). The staff were very good particularly the night desk clerk who checked me in. There were minor problems - things missing or not working - but for the most part those were corrected quite quickly. The coupons for breakfast were great - each day I got some different pastry and each one was delicious and I had juice to take with me. Due to timing I didn't use the restaurant or lounge. I didn't get the free cheese plate but I saw someone get his and it looked very good. If you can, do visit the Public Market down the road - great variety of food. Chinatown and Silk Road are so interesting. It was great to walk different routes to the Convention Centre every day and explore different streets and see different places. I would stay here again and well worth the cost - particularly with the lovely suite. Do try to get to "Red Fish Blue Fish" at the harbour. Amazing fish and chips.

Room Tip: I went with an inside room so denied a view and natural light but it was quiet. The restaurant and...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ChristineAnn
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed for four nights in a Superior King room on the fourth floor. The room was beautiful, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was well equipped with a huge tub, double sinks and a stand-up shower. The location was perfect - easy walking distance for lots of tourist attractions downtown. There was a bit of noise at night from seagulls and other birds; however the hotel provides earplugs to help with this issue. We didn't hear anything from the rooms next door. The staff was very friendly, helpful and able to make recommendations about things to do in the area. Both the cheese plate and coffee/pastry breakfast were tasty. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or to recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MMC761
Rob C, Director of Sales at Hotel Rialto, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Sounds like you stayed in one of our Romance Kings...one of my favourites. Very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Sincerely.