“Charming Hotel”
Review of Hotel Rialto

Hotel Rialto
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We had a lovely 2 day stay at the Hotel Rialto at the end of August 2014. The rooms were comfortable and stylish - I had booked for our group and they were impressed! The staff were also very accommodating when I requested a softer pillow. They also really knew their way around Victoria and gave several outstanding recommendations for restaurants in the area. Part of our stay included a pastry and morning beverage and both were delicious. Finally, the hotel restaurant was excellent - don't miss their pork belly sliders. They were so good we went back right before we left for a quick snack. Highly recommend this outstanding establishment.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Rob C, Director of Sales at Hotel Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

So happy to hear you and your group were pleased with your choice to stay with us! As the person doing the booking for the group, there is always added pressure on you, you took a chance on a small independent hotel and it came up roses, we are happy to be a part of it.

ps. I love those sliders too (a little too much)

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Hotel Rialto is a small boutique hotel in the heart of downtown Victoria. We found the location to be excellent and well within walking distance of restaurants and the waterfront.

Pros:
- Location - central to a lot of amenities
- Complimentary cheese plate was a nice touch
- Coupons for a free pastry and coffee at breakfast or for $3 off a breakfast meal.
- Heated floors in the bathroom
- Quiet - our room was facing away from the busy street
- Room was very clean upon arrival
- Front desk staff were friendly and helpful
- If you decline housekeeping, you get a $10 rebate per each night's stay
- Earplugs provided in room

Cons:
- The room was way TOO small
- The biggest con of all.....the bed was super UNCOMFORTABLE and the mattress was rock solid. The mattress dipped so much in the middle that my husband and I were sandwiched in the middle of the bed. Needless to say, we had two horrible sleeps. It is definitely time for an upgrade on the mattress.
- It wasn't a problem for us, but I felt like the hotel should have had someone to help with baggage at the front doors. There are no ramps to assist with luggage should anyone who may be disabled visit this hotel and they would need to lug them up the stairs.
- If you are going to offer a $10 rebate for declining housekeeping, at least remember to apply that $10 off to the final bill. I had to ask for it to be taken off and when they didn't believe me, they contacted housekeeping to make sure I indeed declined the housekeeping service! For $10, really?!!
- Parking - while I liked the secured parking, it wasn't directly on-site. Although close by (1.5 blocks away), the parking lot is not well lit at night and for some, this could feel unsafe. Parking is $15 per night.

Would I stay again? Perhaps, I did like the personality of the hotel itself. But I travel A LOT and definitely have seen better hotels for the price range. Our room was so very small and the bed was VERY uncomfortable that I might be inclined to try somewhere else first.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, ask for a top floor room facing away from the street.
2  Thank Cubagal82

Hello,

Thank you for your feed back regarding your recent stay with us. Listing both the pros and cons is a great way for us to see what we are doing right and what areas may need attention, so thank you for providing both.

It is true that some of our rooms are more modest in square footage than others, (it sounds like you may have had a smaller room) These rooms tend to be our quietest and it sounds like you appreciated that aspect. Next time we can do our best to accommodate you in a larger room.

As for the bed discomfort, we are looking into that. As a boutique property, our sleep sets were heavily invested in and quite recently purchased. Sleep quality is of paramount importance to us. I can assure you that any mattress that is not up to standard will be removed and replaced immediately. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Hope you will give us an opportunity to increase the pros list and eliminate the cons all together.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

The Rialto hotel in Vancouver is a very nice hotel. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. It is only a short bus ride to downtown Victoria, and on the bus route to Butchart gardens and Shwartz bay. You get a voucher for coffee and pastry or a discount on breakfast and a complementary cheese platter which was very nice. The only 2 problems were the noise from the street and the Seagulls (now who's fault is that??) and the small size of the room. You'd expect a superior queen room to be a bit bigger. But overall I do recommend this hotel when visiting Victoria!

1  Thank abc846

Hello,

Very happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, we have asked those seagulls repeatedly to keep it down but there are still a few trouble makers ;)

Thank you for taking a moment to share with others.

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

We only stayed 1 night and regret we could not stay longer. The junior suite was a LR and BR. Premium bedding and a well equipped bathroom. Convenient to China town, the inner harbor and downtown.

The restaurant was excellent for drinks, dinner and breakfast.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Donnie D
Rob C, Director of Sales at Hotel Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Hi Donnie,

If your only regret is "not to have stayed longer" than we have definitely done our job.

Come back soon and be sure to book a few extra days. :)

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We like older buildings even if the rooms are small, especially for one night. We asked for the highest floor available and got 3(out of 4), with a view of a few rooftops and a great sunset. Room was tiny but we didn't unpack much. The shower ran out on the floor when you had the door open to turn the water on. Linens were nice and the window opens! Free Coffee an pastries were average, and I couldn't get a strong cup of tea even though brewed in a pot. Menu overpriced for breakfast. The young waiter was very hurried and dismissive. I went to Starbucks for breakfast. This is quite a hike from the ferry if you have luggage.

Room Tip: We get the highest floor, best view, wherever that is, unless outrageous additional cost.
1  Thank happygoingplaces

Hi Karen,

Happy to hear overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I too look to stay in heritage buildings when I travel, I always find them more interesting. We are looking into the water issue and thank you for brining that to our attention.

I have to admit, I was puzzled by your price concern regarding the breakfast however. The most expensive items on our menu are $13...you being a hotel guest would receive $3 off bringing it to $10. For this you have a choice of Fresh Traditional Ham or Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict, or a Braised Short Rib Hash served in a cast iron skillet, pretty substantial offerings .... Every other item would be even less, I know of no other café downtown that offers anything close. I believe this is what has lead to so many positive comments regarding our breakfast.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

We had a fabulous stay, will recommend to friends and family and would stay again. The incentive to opt-out of daily room cleaning for a reduced bill in the restaurant is brilliant. We usually opt out anyway but the reduced bill will hopefully entice others to do the same. I hope other properties adopt the concept

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank SacTownOutThere

Hi there,

Thank you for pointing out our "Go Green Get Green" program, we think our guests should be rewarded in helping us with our efforts to lessen our environmental impact. Happy to see you participated in this.

Come back soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Great location,right downtown, room was somewhat small but clean, bed could have been firmer, hotel car parking was not available 1st night but public parking closeby with 24hr security, staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014

Hi George,

Thank you for helping to spread the good word about our little property.

Hope we can welcome you back soon.