“Great Location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Halifax
“Great Location”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

The price was right and location perfect . Somewhat disappointed that our first (2) nights in Victoria were with the view of a roof. Enjoyed a good breakfast . My husband assisted an elderly lady manover her luggage up the marble steps to the elevator as there is no wheelchair ramp and bags must be lifted from the front desk area . No staff offered or mentioned it on check in . The room was clean but average at best.
Got what I paid for .

Room Tip: Call and confirm specifics such as view before arrival. OK for a budget stay - not a vacation destin...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on your most recent stay.

I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your view, next time please ask for a “superior” room category, all these rooms face the famed Inner Harbour and the views are worth the price.

As for the steps, yes it is a difficult building to work with, thankfully we are currently planning a full scale renovation of the hotel and we will address the lobby stairs. There is however, a small elevator to the right of the Front Desk for wheel chairs, luggage trolleys and any other guests who need assistance up to that next level, after the renovations; we are hoping to bring this into the main lobby.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments; I do sincerely appreciate hearing from all of our guests.

Warm regards,

Ian Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My mom and I traveled from Seattle to Victoria through a living social deal. I have to be honest and say I was slightly skeptical of the old photos on their website. We were greeted by a friendly, knowledgable gentleman named, JT and given the keys to our lovely, 3-level penthouse suite with an incredible view of the harbour and downtown Victoria. The room was well appointed, immaculate, had a FULL kitchen including; a stove, micorwave and a toaster. the deck would have been lovely on a summers day. Sitting and watching the sea planes, adorable water taxis and beautiful ships alike, would have almost been enough in itself. But then, we met Boyd. Upon our arrival we were quite tired and couldn't really be bothered with exploring what to have for lunch on first day. We took a chance, walked into Vic's (the steakhouse located in the hotel) and were pleasantly surprised with the quality and freshness of the food. It was not at a what you would expect from hotel food from portion size, creativity, cleanliness and presentation...Vi's has it figured out. Boyd Firth, was quite possible my favorite server ever. That's coming from someone who eats out a lot AND spent many years working in service. He was honest, patient, helpful, attentive, fast and extremely funny. Someone should give this guy a raise - especially during the breakfast hour as he is obviously a master.

Couple more keys points:
The fitness center is HUGE and awesome, it's practically the size of my YMCA back home

GO DO TEA AT THE EMPRESS - it was worth EVERY PENNY

Lovely, easy location just steps away from bus lines, easy walk to main attractions and the view, cannot be beat

Amanda was nice and made some great recommendations.

Living Social has done it again.

The pull out sofa mattress was terrible but that didn't seem to matter when everything else was so good.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Caseynyfl

We are having a full staff meeting in May and I will be sure to share your comments regarding Boyd, I know they all try very hard to make an impression on our guests; after all, it’s our people which are our “brand” and I am sure Boyd will be happy to hear he made an impact.

Have a great summer,

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed here as an alternative to paying the overpriced rates at the Fairmont during a conference. The price we paid with a Priceline deal was fantastic. Excellent location in that its a short walk to the harbour, Fairmont, government buildings etc. A little farther from "the strip" but Victoria is pretty small anyways and so its certainly not far. Hospitality was good, rooms clean and fairly well maintained. Nice view of the harbour. Restaurant was also good, reasonably priced and becomes even better if your stay is a little longer and you use their eco-vouchers for declining turn down service. Pool area a little tired and could have used some refurbishing, notably the hot tub jets were broken when I was there. All in all, great value as an alternative to some of the other more expensive hotels posted rates. I found hotel staff very conservative with estimates of time needed to get to the airport or around the island so I would say give yourself less time but take that advice at your own peril.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciate your honesty regarding our hotel, our restaurant, associates, location and our amenities.

Further to the point about the Hot Tub Jets, I immediately called our Chief Engineer when I read this, and he personally went and checked the jets and all are in order, maybe it was a short term issue, however our “planned, preventative maintenance program” within the hotel is quite good and typically the Maintenance team stay on top of all issues, big or small.

Speaking of big issues, for your information, we are completing a full scale renovation of the hotel in late 2012 or early 2013, so please keep us in mind for a follow up trip to Victoria; we will have a spectacular product to showcase.

Until then, have a great summer.

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed at the Habour Towers 2 nights this weekend. Did not enjoy it. Other than one staff from the lounge no one else looked my way to help. Asked for a coffee at 7am and was told to make it in my room. Will not recommend and will not stay again. Only one line of defense is that they were busy with huge conference but usually you hire extras for things like that?

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Suzanne D
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciate your honesty regarding the early morning coffee request, I am embarrassed you received such an answer. Thankfully we have a general staff meeting scheduled for the first week of May and I will be sure to share your comment with our team.

Regardless of being busy or not, as you most rightly stated, we do increase our staffing when we are busy, so there is no excuse for not accommodating your coffee request. I hope you don’t hold the action of one employee as the standard level of service we offer; I can assure you this is not our usual level of customer service.

Please keep my email handy (ijones@silverbirchhotels.com), and if you are ever back in the Victoria area, please drop me a line and I will ensure you are offered a free upgrade to a one bedroom suite, as a gesture of goodwill. Again, I am very sorry for such a statement, not what we stand behind for sure.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We booked this hotel as part of the Victoria Clipper Package. It was an easy walk from the terminal. The room was clean but there was no climate control in the room so our room was always stuffy and too warm. The showerhead was much too powerful with no way to adjust the force of the stream. They also did not leave any lotion in the room. All the hotels I've stayed in have always provided lotion. Was not impressed with the hotel restaurant, Vic's, either. They were very inattentive.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chardj
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciate your honesty regarding our hotel and service levels in Vic’s restaurant.

We have in fact, recently hired a new Director of Food & Beverage to focus on just that, the level of service in our restaurant and quality and consistency of our food. He is starting to make some progress, and I hope you will try us again to see the positive changes.

As for the room, we are expecting a full renovation in late 2012 or early 2013, this will solve the water pressure issue, as for the Body Lotion, we only offer this in our Suites, as a bonus to those guests, maybe you point is well taken, this should be offered to all our guests, I will address this immediately.

Thanks again for your feedback; truly I appreciate hearing from our guests.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I would stay here again without hesitation and recommend it to anyone. Great restaurants nearby and the hotels lounge has good food as well.

• Stayed April 2012
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback; I will be sure to share your comments at our next general staff meeting, as they love to hear from our satisfied guests, makes all their hard work worthwhile.

Clipper is a great way to travel to Victoria, be sure to check out future specials between our two great companies, they are a good business partner of ours and we are thrilled to work with them.

See you next time you are in Victoria.

Washington State
Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel as part of the Victoria Clipper Package. It worked out perfectly! The hotel is less than an easy 2 block walk from the terminal. Our room was ready at 11:00 AM. Rooms had two double beds with plenty of room for luggage. The staff was very efficient and friendly. The location was about a 10 minute walk to the Inner Harbour and shopping! This is where I will book on my next Victoria vacation.

Stayed April 2012
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciate hearing from all of our guests, especially our friends from the Clipper.

I am so happy you enjoyed your visit, we have been working very hard with our Associates to strive towards improved guest service, and this is and will remain our goal, to achieve complete satisfaction with all of our guests.

We hope to see you back again one day, all the best !