“Very impressed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very impressed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

We got a bargain price on this hotel from Priceline. Due to the mixed reviews we were fully prepared for the worst, to be stuck in an old room somewhere with no wifi or pool access. We were wrong on all counts. We arrived after dinner so were able to park on street for free overnight until 9am. Our room was easily reached by the elevator just by the reception desk. The lovely young lady at reception helped us plan our evening by marking places she thought we would like to eat or drink on the free local map she gave us. The recommendations were very good and agreed with many my guidebook recommended. (Tacones from Red Fish Blue Fish at the harbour are a must!) Our room had free wifi and tea and coffee facilities and was clean and modern. We didn't try eating in the hotel as had only one evening to explore town and left early to catch a ferry in the morning. We also didn't have time to try the gym and pool but went to look at them and were impressed by the variety of machines in the gym. The location was great for the harbour views and a nice walk into downtown. Would highly recommend for the price.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on your most recent stay, and I was thrilled to read you took a chance and was pleasantly surprised.

Even though we have a tired hotel, our associates make up for any worn carpet or scratched door frames I always say, “after you have had the best dining experience ever, and are raving about the restaurant to your friends, I challenge you to remember the colour of the floor”, it’s the people that make the difference, not the physical product.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay, please visit us again.

Ian Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

The front desk upgraded us to a suite, expedited our check in process and allowed for early check-in and late check out. The rooms could use some updating but very clean, comfy and everything we needed. Beautiful views from our covered balcony and very easy walking access all over the city. We didn't use their shuttle service.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on your most recent stay.

Not sure if you read some of my other responses, however we are planning a complete refurbishment in 2012/2013, I hope you will return after we launch our brand new hotel product, we have something special planned; you will be very impressed I’m sure, it definitely will remove that “dated look”.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

My husband and I travelled to Victoria on the May long weekend and were originally surprised to find out that the hotel was overbooked and that they had no room at the "Inn" for us. After the initial disappointment - the manager and staff of the Harbour Towers made every effort to make it up to us with a complimentary dinner in the restaurant that was excellent and they put us up at the Grand Pacific Hotel for the one night we had to wait for our suite to be available. We then had a wonderful suite with a gorgeous view at the Harbour Towers and they treated us like royalty. I say that they can overbook us anytime. Thank you for a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Higher floor that face the Inner Harbour have the best views.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
IanJones-GM, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback; I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on your most recent stay, even though you missed your first night with us, I am glad we welcomed you back with open arms.

Not sure if you read some of my other responses, however we are planning a complete refurbishment in 2012/2013, I hope you will return after we launch our brand new hotel product, we have something special planned; you will be very impressed I’m sure; I will see what we can do to relocate you again , just kidding.

Whitefish, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

We traveled to Victoria for just two days and one night; not nearly long enough for this beautiful city. The Harbour Towers was so convenient to the Victoria Clipper.
The staff was warm, friendly and accommodating. We enjoyed our brief stay and the value was great.
We will definitely stay at this hotel again, hopefully longer on our next visit.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 5th floor and the view of the city was fabulous, especially at night!
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments.

I was very pleased to read about your comments regarding your stay at the hotel, and our “warm, friendly and accommodating staff”, we have been working hard on our customer service, I am thrilled you enjoyed the experience.

Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I stayed at Harbour Towers for a few nights while attending a scientific conference that took place in the hotel. The hotel is located a short walk from the harbour and downtown Victoria and just one block from the British Columbia Parliament Buildings.

My suite was clean and very spacious with bedroom, living room and balcony, and there was a small kitchen in the corner of the living room. It was located on the tenth floor and provided a beautiful view to the harbour and city centre. The furniture, bathroom fixtures, and other interior materials looked a bit dated. The room had some problems with the door lock and a clogged toilet, but these were promptly fixed.

Breakfast was available at Vic's, the hotel's restaurant, but it was not included in the room rate. There was a buffet with warm dishes and pastries, but I ordered items from the menu instead. The orange juice, bagel with cream cheese, and vanilla yogurt that I had were very good but rather expensive: 14 CAD (plus tax and tip). On the other hand, I received a 10-dollar food voucher for requesting the room not to be served by housekeeping on one day, so the bill got reduced to a more moderate level. (Furthermore, the room turned out to have been cleaned that day after all.)

Check-out was very efficient. In the last night of my stay, a detailed invoice was slipped under the door to my room. I just signed the attached form and returned it to the reception, and the total amount was charged to the credit card I presented upon check-in.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Harwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

We were given a suite for our two night stay which had all we could have wanted and more and we also had a balcony from which we had a wonderful view over the harbour. The staff at reception were extremely polite and helpful. On our departure the hotel provided a taxi to take us to the bus station, rather than us having to travel on the shuttle bus.
We had all our meals in the Vic's restaurant downstairs, Chelsea, our waitress (evenings) was charming and attentive.
Christan, who looked after us at breakfast time, was equally nice and nothing was ever too much trouble. I have no hesitation to recommend this hotel. The food was of a very high quality.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments.

I was very pleased to read about your comments regarding Chelsea and Christian, I will be sure to pass along your kind words, as well I will place a copy of this note on their personnel file, it’s always nice to read kind words.

White Rock, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

Our family has stayed at Harbour Towers around Christmas time for years. It is a comfortable but slightly older property. The views from 75 percent of the rooms are amazing, Victoria is a beautiful city. The furnishings and televisions are nearly antiques. The beds aren't quite as comfortable as some of the newer hotel mattresses available. It's like being at Grandma's house minus the smell of boiled cabbage. Harbour Towers is a nice contrast to the industrial feel at the big hotel chains. The staff here are always happy and willing to accommodate. Downtown is only an easy 15 minute walk around the harbour. The Royal BC Museum and British Columbia Parliament buildings are 2 blocks away, both are worth seeing. The hotel has a handy indoor pool and a small fitness area. Vic's Steakhouse and Lounge in the lobby is a very good place for breakfast or dinner (or just drinks). There is lots of parking on the streets around the hotel but much of it is time limited during the day (Harbour Towers charges for parking). This hotel is a great value and should be considered when visiting Victoria.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments.

I was very pleased to read about your comments regarding our staff; they do try very hard to be the difference between our hotel and others. Not sure if you read some of my other responses, however we are planning a complete refurbishment in 2012/2013, I hope you will return after we launch our brand new hotel product, we have something special planned; you will be very impressed I’m sure.