“Good value, great view”

Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We've stayed here a number of times so we know what to expect. View rooms are good value, though dated, and the one-bedroom suites with kitchenette are a fine choice for visiting Victoria. Staff at the hotel are cheerful and efficient and the breakfast buffet has good quality at a reasonable price. The location, of course, is outstanding. Not a fancy place, but worth recommending.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,006)

Reviewed 8 August 2008

I have stayed in this hotel on a few occasions and it really makes a difference IMO if your room has a view,to me it just seems to make the stay nicer.The rooms are dated and the place needs some upgrades for sure.Elevators are dirty,I dont like that,But the higher floor rooms with a view are really nice in terms of size and the ambience.I enjoy sitting on the balcony watching the activity in the inner harbour.The lower floors are not the same as there is no view and you look to the street or buildings etc..The newly changed restaurant and lounge is much better.Good gym.Good location ,no air conditioning

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 8 August 2008

This hotel should probably only be used in one travelling situation...a large group that need more space and are planning to stay for more than just a one-day or weekend trip.

This is one of the largest but older of the nicer hotels in Victoria.

It probably has one more star than it should.

We stayed in one of the two bedroom suites and if I were staying with another couple and we intended on being there a week or so, I would seriously consider this hotel.

The two bedroom suite had a master bedroom with a king bed, a second fully enclosed bedroom with a full bed. A large living room with a sofa sleeper that can fit two. Two and a half bathrooms, an eating area PLUS a fully kitchen with a full supply of pots, pans and utensils.

You can be totally self sufficient because there's a large grocery store just three blocks away in the Jamaica neighborhood.

There are two balconies and lots of open area in the suites.

The staff is very friendly and the rooms have a very solid supply of all the things you'd expect at a nicer hotel.

Here's the rub. It was probably built in the 1970s and it feels that way. There aren't many updates, except in maybe the bathrooms, so the whole place has a feel like its just a bit past its time.

Don't get me wrong, everything was clean and not really worn down just dated. Like you were in your grandmother's house that's been really kept up, or something like that.

The hotel is also on the other side of the harbor from downtown, so it is a little bit of a walk to get to the main shopping/dining area.

It is very close the cruise ship and ferry docks, so you can easily walk here if coming from there.

The staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank markmywordz
Reviewed 30 July 2008

My family and I had stayed at this hotel last summer and had a very positive experience, so when we decided to visit Victoria again this year with some of my girlfriends I decided to book with Harbour Towers Hotel again. This years experience was a little different than last. The positives were that the staff were very helpful and friendly, and the beds are relatively comfortable. Some of the negatives are, that there were apparently some water problems because when I went to take a shower the water fluctuated between glacier cold and scalding hot the entire time! I has to jump out of the tub at least 10 times to avoid being scalded. All I could think of was thank goodness I am relatively young and could do this without severely injuring myself. I promptly called the front desk and they sent up a repair man, and offered to give us another room. We decline and just asked the the problem be fixed. We did not have time that day to move all of our things to a new room. The front desk did send up a note that evening apologizing and gave us a voucher for 3 breakfasts at the resteraunt in the hotel. When we went to check out, these breakfasts were charged to our room and I had to some what argue with the person helping us that those were not valid charges. Also, the rooms were not air conditioned and this meant that we had to keep the windows open which made for a quite loud night of cars honking etc. We also had a down comforter that had stains on it, and the elevators smelled really badly. So over all we did not have a good experience and I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We're a family of 4 with two small children. We're visiting Victoria just to have some fun and get away from things at home, that's it.

So with two young children, we needed a suite with kitchen facilities. Overall, we had a great stay at this hotel and I would recommend it to others!

I mean, considering this is not a 5 star hotel, the rooms including the kitchen were nice (clean, tidy, well kept, lots of linen, utensils etc...). I liked how the dining area, living area and kitchen is basically one big area. The suite was spacious and had plenty of room for my kids to play.

The service was good. Staff were nice, housekeeping was good.

The pool facilities were nice too ... big pool, water was heated. Although the change rooms were a little untidy - no big deal really. There is a large exercise room and even a well equipped children's play room with lots of toys that my kids enjoyed.

My only room complaint was that the second bathroom was very small. I'm not a big guy and I have to kind of suck in my gut to close the door! The other bathroom was a lot bigger and quite nice.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We spent 2 nights at the Harbour Towers in a “Harbour View” room on the 11th floor.

We had to pay a little more for the view but we think it was money well spent as we loved the spectacular view.

The rooms were very clean and had all the amenities we needed, fridge, microwave, hair dryer, ironing board, complimentary high speed internet hook-ups & coffee.

The beds and pillows were very comfortable.

The room was quiet.

The hotel also has an indoor pool, fitness room, hot tub and sauna which we looked at but never used.

There is also a high end restaurant, Vic’s Steakhouse, in the hotel.

The elevators were fast and there were enough of them that we never had to wait.

The location was fantastic. One block off the inner harbour and within walking distance of several restaurants and major attractions, including: The Government Buildings, The Museum, IMAX Theatre, Undersea Gardens, Wax Museum, and Fisherman’s Warf and inner harbour street performer shows.

Parking cost $9.00 / night which we were not crazy about.

BUT… NO AIR CONDITIONING!! We were lucky that the weather was mild during our stay. We had our balcony window open all evening and night and our ceiling fan on high 24 /7. With the window open, there was a nice cool breeze but there was also NOISE!! Sirens and sea birds made noise all night. We did not get much sleep the 1st night. The 2nd night was a little better but still, we consider this a major flaw. Too bad really, with A/C, this hotel would be perfect!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2008

The view from the 11th floor was magnificent overlooking the harbour. The hotel itself, had dated old furniture, and felt dark. The bedding was also dated. I do not think this was good value for money. The place needs an update, to bring it into line with the surrounding modern hotels.

It is ideally situated with a short easy walk to the harbour.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple