“Anniversary Gathering”

GreenLeadersSilver level
victoria
“Anniversary Gathering”
Reviewed 11 November 2008

We booked as group of 5 couples celebrating our 30 plus year anniversaries. When my husband checked in nothing was made note of that there had been a flood and that 3 couples would be moved to another hotel a block and a half away. We were never told that they (the 3 couples) didn't have to move and that they (the hotel) could of offered to move other guests until we asked that we all be moved to keep us together. The girl at the desk the "shift supervisor" said flatley NO. She said we were offered to move at our check in and I said we were the first couple to check in and we knew nothing of it and she said NO, you weren't the first to check in and I said yes we were and she actually argued with me until my husband asked her if she was calling us liars. She then went and checked and came back and apologized and said yes I was right we were the first to check in. The other couples were NOT offered the option of staying together they thought they HAD to go to the other hotel. If she had of explained this at the beginning perhaps things things would of went smoothly but no, my husband went down stairs twice to see if we could get moved with the rest of our party and she was adamant nothing could be done. Poor business practices. Never would we stay here again. Outdated, run down, 79 cent local calls, $9.00 parking, beds that sagged and you rolled into the middle and terrible service at the front desk. Imagine arguing with us. We probubly stay in hotels 30 days a year and NEVER have we been treated this rudley........

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank 2Travelers2Victoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Stayed at a group rate of $99. Maybe I'd pay $129 in high season. Any more than that would be a rip off.

Parking is first come first served so If you come back after dinner it's dicey. If you have a truck or SUV forget it. You can't even access more than half the spots. I'd just park on the street and not pay.

We got there and the computers were down so there was a wait to checkin. When we got to the room it was dated as many have said. The door knob in the bath room was the same as on the 1950's house I grew up in and the door was very old. Looked like some bathroom updates had been done in the '80 but the sliding door and balcony were orignal from the 1950"s? The toilet ran constantly despite having maintenance "fix" it 3 times. My husband finally fixed it himself with no tools.

I judge a hotel by my random cootie factor. It's just a feeling I get about if I should wear my socks all the time in a room. I did here. CArpets looked dirty.

One thing I really hate is hotels that "cheap out" on the toiletries. The second day we were left with little bits of our used soap and no new one. There was also no new shampoo or conditioner. When I approached the cleaner in the hall the next morning before I had a shower she literally stood there and argued with me that there was soap and shampoo in my room. I don't need or want this from cleaning staff. Then she never even cleaned out our coffee pot.
One other irritant is that the TV displayed no channels so you had no idea what channel you were on.

Room service was WAY too expensive for this type of hotel as was the movie charges., I could have taken my kid to a regular theatre and bought him popcorn, candy and drink for what they charged fo rone movie.

I stayed here as part of a group. I come to Victoria often and would not stay here of my own accord. The Marriott or Delta OPR are much better.

Stayed November 2008
Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 September 2008

I had checked them on the internet and it showed a bed & breakfast rate of $149n for this month as a pop up ad ,but necessary to call.
I called and and was told yes plenty of room and included a buffet breakfast- very courteous- I did not have my credit card with me so she said call back tomorrow with credit card.
I called next day and was told no rate like that would be honored- a room without bed & breakfast was $149 and she knew nothing of the ad.
I spoke with the "manager" and he knew of the ad but said he would not honor it even though he did have room!!!.
Needless to say we wil not be staying with this poorly rated hotel.

3 Thank C V
Netherlands
Reviewed 16 September 2008

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in september. First night we got a (what later turned out to be) room upgrade from standard room to ‘family room’ with small kitchenette, sofa and a king size bed. This was quite a spacious room, nice large bed, but with very old and dated furniture as most reviews already point out. This room would have been ok for the price we paid ($200/night including taxes), but it turned out that right in front of our ‘mountain view’ window on the 2nd floor there was a big airconditioning device (not sure how to call these) making a terrible buzzing noise. We’re ok with street noises, but the sound this thing made woke us up nearly every time it started buzzing again. After explaining this to reception the next morning, we were moved to a room at the 7th floor. No apologies or anything, but they did move us.
The new room turned out to be much smaller, with just enough room to store your suitcases next to the (also smaller) queen size bed. We were amazed that after having had such a terrible night of sleep they even moved us to a smaller room, but anything better than not getting any sleep at all. We did catch some sleep here, but due to the mattresses used we had the tendency to roll to the middle of the bed. Could be good, but not so for sleeping purposes.
We booked a room including breakfast, but the staff wasn’t very clear in (willing to) explaining that you could use either the -somewhat limited- buffet or choose one item from their breakfast menu (if you chose for the latter and then also requested some juice or yoghurt you had to pay extra). Now I don’t mind paying for things, but please be clear about this upfront.
At checkout we were also surprised by the additional parking costs. Again, $9/day parking fee is not that big a deal, but at least tell your guests upfront that there will be a charge for this.

All together, this is not a place we will be visiting again.

• Liked — free internet (don't use wireless -it's not free- but cable instead!)
  • Disliked — the noise on 2nd floor, the beds on 7th floor
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sverzijl
Vancouver
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We've stayed here a number of times so we know what to expect. View rooms are good value, though dated, and the one-bedroom suites with kitchenette are a fine choice for visiting Victoria. Staff at the hotel are cheerful and efficient and the breakfast buffet has good quality at a reasonable price. The location, of course, is outstanding. Not a fancy place, but worth recommending.

• Liked — Location and view
  • Disliked — Dated rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Comox,British Columbia,Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2008

I have stayed in this hotel on a few occasions and it really makes a difference IMO if your room has a view,to me it just seems to make the stay nicer.The rooms are dated and the place needs some upgrades for sure.Elevators are dirty,I dont like that,But the higher floor rooms with a view are really nice in terms of size and the ambience.I enjoy sitting on the balcony watching the activity in the inner harbour.The lower floors are not the same as there is no view and you look to the street or buildings etc..The newly changed restaurant and lounge is much better.Good gym.Good location ,no air conditioning

• Liked — View and room size
  • Disliked — Needs clean up and upgrades
  • Stayed August 2008
Minneapolis
Reviewed 8 August 2008

This hotel should probably only be used in one travelling situation...a large group that need more space and are planning to stay for more than just a one-day or weekend trip.

This is one of the largest but older of the nicer hotels in Victoria.

It probably has one more star than it should.

We stayed in one of the two bedroom suites and if I were staying with another couple and we intended on being there a week or so, I would seriously consider this hotel.

The two bedroom suite had a master bedroom with a king bed, a second fully enclosed bedroom with a full bed. A large living room with a sofa sleeper that can fit two. Two and a half bathrooms, an eating area PLUS a fully kitchen with a full supply of pots, pans and utensils.

You can be totally self sufficient because there's a large grocery store just three blocks away in the Jamaica neighborhood.

There are two balconies and lots of open area in the suites.

The staff is very friendly and the rooms have a very solid supply of all the things you'd expect at a nicer hotel.

Here's the rub. It was probably built in the 1970s and it feels that way. There aren't many updates, except in maybe the bathrooms, so the whole place has a feel like its just a bit past its time.

Don't get me wrong, everything was clean and not really worn down just dated. Like you were in your grandmother's house that's been really kept up, or something like that.

The hotel is also on the other side of the harbor from downtown, so it is a little bit of a walk to get to the main shopping/dining area.

It is very close the cruise ship and ferry docks, so you can easily walk here if coming from there.

The staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Liked — Size and amount of items in the suites, location
  • Disliked — Everything looked a bit dated, but was still clean
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple