“A perfectly restful and memorable experience”

Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We visited during the week of Canada Day and this hotel was perfectly located in walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf for fish & chips and poutine. Also great location to the inner harbor and the Parliament Building, Royal BC Museum, restaurants and local shopping. Don't expect to shop at large retail chain stores, this city is not about that kind of shopping. Victoria, BC is a beautiful area, clean, green, culturally diverse and environmentally responsible. Any city that has tourism as a revenue stream can learn from what the City of Victoria has implemented as being energy efficient - all of the taxi cabs are Toyota Priuses.

The view from our 1-bedroom suite was ideal for viewing the Canada Day fireworks show. If you want a great view get a room from the 9th Floor or above and you won't be disappointed. We can't wait to go back to Victoria again.

Oh, and remember to visit Butchart Gardens, and book at Ocra Whale Watch from one of the vendors down at Fisherman's Wharf - they are great people & very knowledgeable ocra specialists.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank justracy808
Write a ReviewReviews (2,007)

Reviewed 29 June 2009

I had a 10 day stay here and it couldn't have been better. The food at Vic's and the bar was great, and the staff (thank you particularly David, Yvonne, Heidi, Cory, Amanda, and Graham) were so accommodating it was like being with close family. The amenities in my room were more than expected and it was spotless. Anything I needed was provided with a smile and 'no problem'. The business centre was free and there were 4 computers for guests' use. The pool was warm enough and the whirl pool hot enough. I wish I could take this hotel and its people with me wherever I go. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
HTHGuestExperience, Guest Experience Leader at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2009

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your recent stay at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites.

Your feedback is extremely valuable to us as it is through this input directly from our guests that we are able to continuously strive to deliver a positive and memorable experience for every guest.

I am pleased to see that you were extremely satisfied with your overall experience at the Harbour Towers and that you would like to take our hotel and our associates wherever you go!

Please be assured that we will share your positive feedback with our associates and department leaders regarding the service you received during your stay and are grateful for the opportunity to do so. Our associates are pleased to be at your service to assist you with anything you require during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites.

Reviewed 1 April 2009

I found this hotel very good for the money - very obliging and good facilities including nice pool, free use of computers, storage of luggage while we went 'up-island'. The room was a decent size and I appreciate the provision of a bath, not just a shower, as a good soak is part of a good holiday experience. Beds a bit on the narrow side. No complaints about cleanliness.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2008

A student in our group suggested the Harbour Towers and I made the booking on her recommendation. After reading the reviews of this hotel I was a little apprehensive about our upcoming experience but decided to take a chance on the property. Making the group booking with the hotel was easy and Scott was very helpful.

Our group rate (for 5 rooms) was $79 / double queen room (4 students in each room) and $109 for a king suite for a parent chaperon traveling with a baby who wanted more space. Note that my single queen room was the same $79 rate but I think that that rate corresponds with the "up-island" local rate. Parking (unlike other reviews) was free of charge - we were given a chit to put in our vehicle and the hotel was fine with us leaving the vehicles for most of the second day.

Most of the rooms were of average quality but seemed clean and well maintained - none of the major problems mentioned in other reviews. My single queen lacked the fridges that the double queens were equipped with but had a coffee maker with both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee as well as tea. The bathroom looked like it had been recently renovated and was spotless (see pictures). My room had an overhead ceiling fan and a small balcony with sliding glass doors so I was able to get some fresh air during the night. One of the student rooms had shower that didn't seem to work but was fixed quickly by maintenance.

My only minor concerns were as follows:
There was a slightly "burnt" smell in the room - not sure what the source of that was. There was an imprint of an iron on the carpet and when I used the iron in the morning the smell was similar. Could have been a vacuum cleaner with a full bag as well. Check in was a little slow and often there were line-ups at the front desk as there were only two people trying to deal with the logistics of arranging groups. Our rooms were on several different floors which can make supervising a problem for group travelling.

In addition to our group there were several hockey teams, a rotary group, a couple of wedding/Christmas parties in the hotel. Travelers looking to avoid large groups of young people might want to consider another location. However, the location just blocks away from downtown and the inner harbour is excellent. It is in a relatively quiet part of Victoria with several other hotels in the same area. You can walk to downtown in about 10-15 minutes.

I compared the price of several hotels and had initially decided to go with the Best Western Inner Harbour - it also offers a group rate ($89/room for 4 person occupancy) that includes a continental breakfast as well as underground parking. Harbour Towers does have a breakfast buffet that looked pretty good at about $13/person. Standard egg and bacon breakfasts were available at $10/person and were more than adequate.

In all likelihood if I did another overnight trip to Victoria I'd probably use this hotel again based on the value for money. For personal travel with my wife and family I might go with the Best Western.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank tripjimbc
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We stayed over night after a party we attended.
Small, outdated hotel room.Okay for one night, but would not stay here unless we actually got an upgrade (like we were supposed to on this trip!) Bathroom very small, shower head shakey, but water pressure was AWESOME!
The "view" outside our 2nd floor room was a dirty rooftop ... cigarette butts and garbage, YUCK!
Room service food late night was okay, and delivery staff was friendly, as was the maintenance man that came to fix the TV when the movie channel kept "flickering."
Morning breakfast at the hotel restaurant was not good. Had to constantly ask for 'replacements' on our table (ie. coffee, cream, peanut butter, sauce for eggs, water). One food item was actually "off", if you know what I mean! Also one of our party actually saw a young server pick at her nose before touching the top rim of a coffee cup and placing it into circulation.... GROSS!
Hopefully things will improve here as we plan to stay again next year, same time. Then again, possibly not.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank another_mother
Reviewed 16 November 2008

Had a one night stay here as a side trip to Vancouver.
Most guests were business clients as there was a few conferences
taking place. Our room was a 2 bedroom suite which was a little dated but had a good view. Found the staff to be helpful and friendly.
Dining room had limited options due to work taking place to kitchen.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank allgoodbruv
Reviewed 11 November 2008

We booked as group of 5 couples celebrating our 30 plus year anniversaries. When my husband checked in nothing was made note of that there had been a flood and that 3 couples would be moved to another hotel a block and a half away. We were never told that they (the 3 couples) didn't have to move and that they (the hotel) could of offered to move other guests until we asked that we all be moved to keep us together. The girl at the desk the "shift supervisor" said flatley NO. She said we were offered to move at our check in and I said we were the first couple to check in and we knew nothing of it and she said NO, you weren't the first to check in and I said yes we were and she actually argued with me until my husband asked her if she was calling us liars. She then went and checked and came back and apologized and said yes I was right we were the first to check in. The other couples were NOT offered the option of staying together they thought they HAD to go to the other hotel. If she had of explained this at the beginning perhaps things things would of went smoothly but no, my husband went down stairs twice to see if we could get moved with the rest of our party and she was adamant nothing could be done. Poor business practices. Never would we stay here again. Outdated, run down, 79 cent local calls, $9.00 parking, beds that sagged and you rolled into the middle and terrible service at the front desk. Imagine arguing with us. We probubly stay in hotels 30 days a year and NEVER have we been treated this rudley........

Stayed: November 2008