“Quite Nice. Great Location”

Inn at Laurel Point
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Duncan, Canada
“Quite Nice. Great Location”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This location is right downtown, on the harbour. It's really close to everything. View was of the outer harbour where the float planes operate but they are quite quiet. The plumbing is not. You can hear toilets filling and flushing. They should change the fill valves to be quiet. As it is, you can hear the filling from your unit, and adjacent, for quite a while.

Parking is expensive. Less secure parking is available nearby for substantially less money. Check to see whether parking and Wi-Fi are extra charges for your stay. Wi-Fi worked very well.

Room Tip: All rooms have good views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Shibert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Korean first
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We (my wife & I) stayed here for five days after Easter 2014. We asked for and received a room with a view overlooking the inner harbour. It was fantastic to watch the ferries come in and also to watch the float planes take off and land. The walk that navigates around the harbour is just outside the door. Go one way to Victoria's amazing downtown and attractions. Go the other way and you are off to Fisherman's Wharf. The room we had was in the older Laurel Wing and it was/has been well maintained. The king size bed was very comfy. Very nice large sized bathroom. The front desk staff were most helpful with every question we asked. A drawback which is not the hotel's fault - it is 15 miles to the airport but, there is an airport shuttle that will come to get you. We had rented a car by mid week so that we could drive to see Butchart Gardens and also to take a drive up the east coast of Vancouver Island. We used the airport shuttle to go to the Inn when we arrived but, used our rented vehicle for our return home and the dropoff point was the airport. The Inn had a agreement with Budget Rent a car (we did not know about this when we stopped in to Budget to rent our vehicle) and when we mentioned we were staying at the Inn we received an additional discount on our auto rental. The Inn is close to everything that is a tourist attraction downtown. Only a few minutes walk. It is only a few minutes walk to the Fisherman's Wharf. The room we had had a small fridge but, no microwave. We did not eat at the AURA Restaurant - I'm sure the food was excellent and maybe I'm just a little "frugal" - and did not want to pay the AURA prices. Perhaps others will find their prices as moderate. There is no shortage of eating options close by. We were to busy to try the indoor pool so, I cannot comment on it. There was no hot tub/jacuzzi. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: If you can - ask for a room with a view of the harbour - it is fantastic.
2 Thank TJSRegina
Sylvan Lake, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Parking is $17 a day and they encourage you to valet. I always thought that valet meant convenience. But when you have to stand at the front desk where everyone is checking in and out just to get some to get your vehicle, that is very inconvenient. After waiting over 10 minutes the front desk clerk who was doubling as a valet went to get our car. Not like paying 17 dollars a day for this. The area is beautiful but there is not shop to buy snacks or water that you may feel like in your room. So if you book here make a stop before checking in here, to get what you may want.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl C
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have stayed here before and I have to say I like the location, the rooms, and the pool and fitness area. Although not having privacy glass on the balconies is just a bad idea. I don't want to look at my neighbours feet any more than they want to look at mine.

I had a room booked for Th.& Fr. night. when I arrived I inquired if the room was available Saturday as well. She said it was but the rate increased by $30. I specifically asked her if there was some sort of special event going on in town I should be aware of to warrant the increase. She said No It is just they have been getting busy on the weekends. Friday is also the weekend but for some reason she shrugged her shoulders and said there is no special reason for it. Okay I went along with it. So by the time I find out that there is a marathon here on Sunday and every single road around the hotel will be shut down it is too late to cancel based on the 24 hour cancellation policy.

I have to get up at 4:30 am just for the chance to get out of here before the race begins. I feel manipulated and feel like I was treated like I am an idiot.

A couple of other irritating things is that I decided to get out of town for a few hours and was going to print out a map of the Sooke area downstairs. The computer wants my credit card immediately. Really? You are going to charge me for a sheet of paper? I passed on it and took my chances..

When getting back from Sooke I decide to go for a long walk through the neighbourhood and arrive back at the hotel thinking it would be a great idea just to order up some soup and Caesar salad and relax on the balcony. Guess what? No room service between 11am and 5pm. Oh come on now don't be ridiculous. I am so irritated right now. I will never return to this property for any reason.

Room Tip: This is not a hotel that is close to the action. A brisk 10 minute walk to the beginning of the in...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank jackmacvan2013
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Boss! at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Jackmacvan2013
I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed and irritated with several aspects of your recent stay here at the Inn and, if I may, I would like to address your concerns individually in hopes that it may shed some light on “why we do what we do”.

Regarding the differential in nightly rates; We, like most major hotels, use a very sophisticated yield management system for our reservation bookings, not unlike most major airlines operating today, and we, like those airlines are governed by the supply and demand theory. A room in a hotel on perhaps a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday night will be infinitely more economical than say our busiest nights, Fridays and Saturdays where the supply is much more in demand. The rates fluctuate almost daily, very similar in fact to buying an airline ticket. My apologies that this increase in nightly rate surprised you, it was certainly not our intent at all.

Regarding the Times Colonist 10K Marathon; I am sorry that you were not advised, but this race was advertised for such a long time and is one of the City’s most popular events. We did have welcoming posters about the hotel in fact. My apologies that you were not made aware – again it was not our intent to deliberately deceive you by any means.

As for you wanting to print off a map of the Sooke area; Yes, we do have a business centre where there is a “pay for use” computer and printer as is the case with most major hotels with a business centres. However,I am positive that had you asked our front desk for a map of the Sooke area they would have been more than pleased to print one off with our compliments, in fact our Bellman are equipped with a plethora of maps of various areas of interest and they too would have been more than happy to provide you with one.

Now, as far as our Inn Room dining is concerned, I apologize that you were not able to order a bowl of soup up to your room during the hours of 11AM & 5PM. During the slower months we do offer our in room breakfast deliveries and evening deliveries but since there has been little demand for lunch time deliveries we opted to curb those delivery hours during our slower months. But…..our restaurant AURA is always open for service and a quick call to the front desk could have re-directed you to the restaurant for more dining options.My apologies again for you not getting your service expectations met.
I am so sorry that your expectations were not met on so many levels but I do hope that this very long note explains some of the “why we do what we do’s”.
Wishing you the very best in hopes that you will consider giving us a try once again, after all, your business is important to us and we would love an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

~Judy~
Kootenays, BC, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We chose the Inn at Laurel Point to host our daughter's wedding. We could not have asked for a better venue, more helpful staff, or a more beautiful place to share our daughter's special day.

We also chose to book hotel rooms here before / during / after the event. Also an extremely good idea on our part - the garden suites were lovely!

The reception was for approximately 110 guests, many of whom travelled from out of town & booked at the Inn for the festivities. Every one of them told us how pleased they were with the accommodations, and were delighted that the Inn extended a discount for wedding guests.

We left almost everything (other than the florist & the photographer) in the hands of the Events Coordinator, Ashley. The organization was flawless, and the buffet at the reception was absolutely incredible! Feedback from guests indicated they'd never had food as good as that at any other wedding or event - apparently we raised the bar!

I can't tell you how pleased we were with everything at the end of the day. Food, accommodations, staff friendliness & assistance. It was amazing!

If I have anything to complain about, it's the parking costs of $17.50 / day. Some of that was comp'ed by the hotel, but not over the wedding weekend. That's my only issue - the wedding was VERY costly, the majority of which was paid to Laurel Point, but I also realize that we would have faced similar parking fees elsewhere.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, nor would I hesitate to recommend this venue for anyone else considering a waterfront Vancouver Island wedding!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
alberta
Reviewed 23 April 2014

From the moment we parked to the time we were in our room couldn't believe how the staff in all areas made you feel welcome. All I can keep thinking was what an amazing experience we had. Once we had one meal in the restaurant we were hooked and didn't venture far for meals...again the word amazing just describes the experience. I highly recommend this hotel you will not regret your choice....I know we will be going back...

Salmon Arm, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I am the owner of Destination Spa B&B here in Salmon Arm and offer a 5 star rating with TripAdvisor. I know from my clients what it takes to have a first class experience, and this is my daily goal for me to have with all of my clients from across the globe. My experience with this property far exceeded my expectations and I would recommend this gorgeous jewel in Victoria to anyone. I now will be offering my experience of the Inn at Laurel Point Victoria, to those who will be booking with me in the future as I know they will be as delighted and impressed as I was. I'll be back!
Toby & Kevin Carson

Room Tip: The room which I will be choosing again is the room with the large balcony overlooking the ocean. Go...