“Wonderful Hotel in a Wonderful City”

Inn at Laurel Point
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Exceptional views of the Victoria Inner Harbor and all the attendant scenery including Seaplanes takeoff and landings, water taxis flitting about, large ferries and their nearby docks. The hotel's Aura restaurant is top rated. Service staff is incredibly pleasant, professional and helpful. RECOMMEND!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jrjojo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,162)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

After researching and reading the reviews on this site as well as others we were excited to stay here, splurging a little since this was our anniversary weekend. Our first blush with the hotel was quite positive, it was walking distance from the ferry, had an impressive and commanding silhouette, and although we were quite early for check in, we were still quickly settled in a room. This is where things turned down hill fast. Mere moments after stepping into the room both of us get a nasty little shock when the ancient ac unit turns on and starts up so loud we have to shout a little to be heard. Turning this off in order to facilitate conversation and thought proves to be a terrible idea as the room heats up like a sauna within half an hour. Attempting to alleviate this heat we open our balcony door, although I feel 'balcony' is generous for something I could not even properly fit a chair on. The view from here is the first and last good thing our room has to offer, excellent people watching on the left and a water view on the right. The only thing I have to say about the bed is if you plan to use it for anything but sleeping, for instance sitting since its a king bed and takes up just about all of the space in the room, go for the center mass or you risk it flipping up over your head.

Since the above review sounds ridiculously negative, I would like to take a moment to talk about the restaurant here, called Aura. Very, very, good food here. Creative, delicious, concoctions that are presented with great style and verve. For instance we shared a salad that had a delicious berry vinaigrette, flat bread for a little crunch, and of course, the highlight - cheese. I honestly could not tell you what kind, but it was amazing. The next day we ordered room service, buying a 3 cheese plate and let me tell you, I would have had one of those every day for every meal if I thought I could get away with $19 a pop. Our favorite was the alpindon which went deliciously with the cranberry bread, or when had with the fig jam, or the fresh sliced pears, or even by itself. Absolutely the highlight of our stay at this hotel and so overwhelmingly positive it is absolutely something we will go back for. But you can bet we will be actually staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: I don't know what to tell you except good luck.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Boss! at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Renee S,
Well, you can imagine how disappointed I was to read your review. On one hand you were most flattering but on the other quite the opposite. You loved our restaurant AURA but found fault with your accommodation, unfortunately.
If I may, I would like to take a moment to address some of the issues that you had with your room in order to perhaps shed some light on the issues from my perspective.
By your description, but not knowing the exact room number that you occupied, I am going to guess that you were in the Laurel Wing. And by the sounds of it you had a lovely view of both the walking paths and the harbour. The balconies on the Laurel Wing side of the hotel are a smaller Juliette style balcony and are definitely not as spacious as our Erickson Wing balconies but I personally think they are lovely even though they are not the biggest.
As for the noisy AC unit in your room, I would like to apologize that you found it to be noisy and that you had to shout to be heard. (Oh dear!)
As part of our ongoing upgrades to the Laurel Wing, we have now replaced 94 of our 120 AC units in the area and we hope to have the balance installed by year’s end. The older model is definitely not as efficient nor as quiet as the newer model and once again, I am sorry that this marred your first ( and lasting )impression.
Finally, you mentioned that you found the King bed to be too big for the space and there was a risk of the mattress flipping over if you sat in a particular space. Our entire Laurel Wing was refurbished with brand new Serta Eurotop Perfect Sleeper mattress sets this past fall and our guests just love them. I am pretty confident that they will not flip over either.
In closing, I would like to thank you for posting your in depth review and hope that you will change your mind about staying here in the future – after all, your business is important to us. I think your should consider staying in the more luxurious Erickson Wing next time where you just might feel more comfortable – especially if you have glass of wine in hand and a plate of that lovely cheese you mentioned!

Wishing all the best in hopes that you will return again one day!

~Judy~

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Fantastic....clean...beautiful.
We did upgrade to the Erickson wing...5 th floor overlooking the harbour.
Had breakfast at the hotel...(Kathleen or Katherine) was "in training" but was very pleasant and one of the best servers I have had in quite some time.
The room is beautiful...the view spectacular day and night... Boats coming and going...planes coming and going..yet it's not loud with the windows closed
The room is quite spacious and the bathroom is so beautiful.
The small fridge in the room is just right for snacks and water... Also has an in room safe .
Loved this place....most definitely my stay place in Victoria.
Very nice walk to great shops and nice places to eat.

Room Tip: We did upgrade from a lower floor to the Erickson wing 5 the floor. Worth every penny!
1  Thank Cjae2222
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed there over Memorial Day weekend when the hotel was booked to capacity. Our room was in the newer Erikson wing (definately get your room there!) From the moment we arrived we were treated like family. They went out of their way to say good morning, open the door and even one worker was walking in the parking lot and stopped to help me with my stroller even though my husband was with me. THAT is customer service. I've stayed in alot of 5 star places around the world and have never had such an amazing experience at a hotel before. We will be staying here EVERY time we come to Victoria.

The rooms was beautiful with a few of the water falls and the bay. The flowers you could smell from the balcony (which was big with lots of room). The bathrooms were HUGE. I just can't say enough good things about our experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is my third time staying at this hotel. Love the property and the room . Just ordered desert from room service. They brought up two 1" square pieces of cheesecake and charged my $16 for the privilege. OMG how did they know I was cheating on my diet??? How thoughtful of them to limit calorie intake. But really $16?

Room Tip: Avoid the room service, unless you are a supermodel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Adrian12345
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We made our third trip to Victoria over the Memorial day weekend. Chose the Inn at Laurel Point as part of a Black Ball Ferry package. I had read the reviews and decided to try it. We were amazed. We were previous fans of the Fairmont Empress, but I have to admit, this was far superior in many ways. The location is walking distance to everything, the staff was most helpful and courteous, the rooms are amazing, and the price was great.
We were in a king bed studio, room 351. Any room in the new wing has water views. Ours of the city was very quiet, and I would request this side again. The room was very large with a huge bath. The balcony is where we spent every morning and evening.
I would recommend you try it for many reasons. The peaceful location is beautiful and the quiet halls were by far the most superior we have experienced in years. There is an indoor pool, a nice restaurant called Aura, and a mini fridge for extras. We only stayed two nights...wish it could have been longer. Can't wait to go back. I believe the new wing is called the Erikson...request the new wing and a floor at level 3 or above. You would not have the view below the third level. Enjoy. It is a great spot!

Room Tip: Third floor or higher...we preferred the city view...Odd numbers. If you want on the harbor side, a...
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Pros:
-Most rooms have a lovely harbor view. There's just one windowed area, but it lets in a lot of light.
-Great location: next to Inner Harbour, but also in a quieter area. Lovely walking paths and convenient water taxi access.
-Rooms are moderately spacious, and contain couch or chairs for enjoying your view. You might have to move the furniture to see the view from it, but there's plenty of room to do that. Kick back and enjoy the fresh sea breeze.
-Mini-fridge, electric kettle, coffee maker, tea and coffee provided
-Staff is friendly, helpful, efficient. A++!
-Attached restaurant serves really delicious, creative food in a beautiful setting with the same great view.

Cons:
-Attached event centre sees proms, weddings, etc, and they can get a little noisy. If your room is on the first floor near that area, you'll feel robbed of your privacy in-room.
-Balconies in the older wing are tiny, too small even for a little chair. You have to step over a foot-tall barrier to get onto your balcony: major trip hazard. Balconies are individual, but not private. Note that this does not appear to be an issue in the newer wing.
-Balconies (again, older wing) lack even a slight overhang, so if you leave your sliding glass door open when it's raining even a little, water comes in. And you need your door open because:
-The ventilation is not great. The AC works hard for not much output, and your only operable window is the sliding glass door at the end of the room.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple