Red Lion Inn & Suites Victoria
Hotel Zed(Victoria)
Arbutus Inn(Victoria)
Hotel Victoria(Victoria)
View Hotel
All reviewsminute bus ridebooking sitemicrowave ovenfront desk staffpublic transitpots and pansmini kitchencoffee makershort staytwo double bedssmall kitchenettedowntown corewould stay againclose to downtownwalmartloungedryer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This hotel met our purposes well. We came as two families traveling together. The girls loved the pool. (Front desk staff even opened it early for us.) We did not find the location as scary as other reviewers on this site. We did not hear any noise from the bar. We found it convenient to walk to the nearby mall by day and I walked home with my teenage boys (20 minutes) from the harbor area in the evening. The walk was interesting, but we always felt safe. On another visit, my wife and I will use the easy access and go for a run on the Galloping Goose Trail.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kevinleo
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed here one night this week and were pleasantly surprised. Our one-queen bed suite was spacious and clean. There was a kitchenette, complete with cooking utensils, pots, pan, and plates etc. Would have come in handy if we were staying longer. The bathroom was good-sized and also clean. We didn't mind the location because we knew we were not paying for a 4/5 star hotel. Our criteria were, clean, free WiFi and parking, and inexpensive (booked at Sale price of $85, don't know what regular price was). Red Lion fit the bill. Reception staff were helpful and courteous. However, the one who checked us in was a bit too casual and not dressed in the usual suit-and-tie attire or uniform that one may expect, but he's pleasant enough and that's more important.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor in the back seem nicer. Privacy of Those on the First floor in the back is compromised because people could walk right by your windows.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

So location: with a strip bar, a liquor store and a chinese restaurant in the same building why would you ever leave the block. Its about 20 min from downtown victoria. The rooms are tiny- the shoehorned 2 queen size beds into our room but there was no room for luggage. Oh there was a desk there too but you couldn't really sit in the chair cause the bed pushed against it. The bathroom was tiny, when you sat on the toilet you kicked the door. Cleanliness, the carpet was nasty stained and although the sheets looked clean, it just seemed 'dirty' and grimy. The pool was ok, a bit cold and outside next to the parking lot. Lastly the elevators were do slow, my kids had races how many times they could run up and down the stairs to the lobby and back by the time the elevator even showed up (3xs from the 3 flr). On the good side the people at the desk were ......nice if not ambivalent. Sorry

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Omni99
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Way too much for the room - wanted something clean and quick though and this was it - but if you want to leave your room after dark - a little sketchy - surrrounded by liquor stores and nightclub - literally same building. The desk clerk - although he clearly tried to make me feel better for overpaying on priceline - by giving me a suite - it was only one night and I would've liked the money instead :/ See pics for view from room - yes, those people hang out all night - and I couldn't park anywhere you see - parking was in an alley down the back...with a special dashboard voucher< seems silly to give priority to liquor store guests over hotel. Horrible staining on curtains, bed skirt and headboard....ewwwww! Also, looks like someone peed in the bathtub and it was never cleaned up! Would not recommend anyone to stay here. My brother also got a suite and his garbage can was full. TV in room is from 80's - see pics

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank sabrinaVancouver_Bc
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I spent one night in the Red Lion and the experience was pretty good. I arrived early and had to get down to Victoria but this was no problem - the staff looked after my bags until I got back. The room was quite large and clean - one problem was that the WC flap valve didn't reseat but I managed to fix that quite easily.

The hotel is a little out of town but it is a short walk to the bus stop and there is a frequent service.

The V lounge is a sports bar and was OK, the Fox club round the corner is a strip club but I didn't go in there. I didn't see any of the unsavoury characters that other reviews have talked about, maybe I was unlucky :-). I didn't notice any noise.

The hotel was good value for a one nighter and fully fulfilled my expectations.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the car park seem to be quieter than the others.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo