“Average with poor breakfast setup ”

Accent Inn Victoria
Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
UK
“Average with poor breakfast setup ”
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

We had read reviews about the restaurant burning down but the breakfast really was an extremely poor setup. Only one of the the four mornings we had breakfast was it in an adequate room, the other mornings it was it a small guest room because they had training groups in the other room. The main reason we disliked this was the fact we had to carry our breakfast to the top floor spilling it along the way. There wasn't a toaster available while it was in the guest room. One morning by the time I got to my room to eat my breakfast bun I found mould all over it - nice!!

We walked into town because we were not offered the shuttle at the front desk he suggested the bus. The walk was about 50min and we are young and fit. It isn't really that safe as you get your usually crazy people wandering around shouting abuse at you.

I like Victoria and I would suggest staying centrally and if I return that us what I will be doing.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m12-c4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Comox
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I brought my family visiting from England to enjoy the sights of Victoria. We all were very pleased with this facility. Very Clean and comfortable. The breakfast provided was excellent and helped get us on our way to sightseeing so much sooner. Staff were excellent.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the road and was a bit noisy until the traffic slowed down.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Audrey D
Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This is an exceptionally good deal for Victoria; especially if you book through their site on line and receive a discounted rate. We had a larger room with sofa and queen size bed. Breakfast was included and for two people, the price with tax was around $100.00 a night. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was decent. The only complaint that we had was that the air conditioner was ineffective. We contacted the front desk and also spoke to the maintenance person, who said it would be fixed. However, it remained useless throughout our three night stay. The room is quite stuffy and the bed is situated at the back, so it really impacted our stay.
Upon check out, the front desk told me that they were updating their air conditioners in October and we must have had a room with one of the obsolete units. Otherwise, it is a pleasant place to stay and is situated with lots of shops and grocery stores close by the hotel.

TENNIS ALERT: TWO OUTDOOR PUBLIC TENNIS COURTS JUST AROUND THE CORNER FROM THE HOTEL.

Room Tip: Room tip: stay at the back on an upper level. If air conditioning matters to you, make certain upo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank tokyohos
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed for a night in Victoria before heading north. The rate was good and the reviews were encouraging. We had a car so its being out of downtown Vic wasn't an issue. I was very pleased by the overall quality of the Accent Inn.

Its external design is from the 80s but the facade has been recently updated. Our room was far better than I expected. It had obviously been renovated fairly recently. The bathroom is excellent with good water pressure, lighting, plush(isn) towels, soaps, and other toiletries. The shower head is variable in spray and high enough so tall people (like us) don't have to stoop to wash our hair. Lots of towels, tissues, extras, nicely organized. The room smelled clean, fresh, & neutral - no air fresheners or artificial scents. Like my home

The beds are outstanding - very, very comfortable with lots of good pillows. The bedspreads aren't slippery, cheap polyester hide-all-manner-of-sins-in-an abstract pattern and appeared and smelled very clean. Bed linens were crisp, clean, and ample. The TV is flat screen with many channels (not that I much care) and the internet is fast and strong (I do care about this.)

There is a coffee maker and a small refrigerator, which I always appreciate. The carpet is clean; the furniture comfortable, and convenient, the wall decorations are much better than average, as if a human with an eye for color chose the prints.

The continental breakfast was varied and good - bagels, breads & pastries from a decent source. Nothing in cellophane wrappers. Real orange juice. Several yogurts. Cereal, I think, wasn't much interested. Fresh oranges, apples. Coffee, tea.

There's a lovely patio seating area on the second floor. Didn't use in the rain but in the summer it would be a great place to relax in the sun with a cup of coffee.

This Accent Inn was better than advertised. Extremely comfortable, very clean, very well appointed. I'd stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank k8bemis
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have stayed here several times and have never had a bad experience (although somehow a little spider crept into my room this time and I had to use the ironing board to squish him on the ceiling...sorry cleaners!) I did miss the restaurant next door which burned down but the hotel has arranged a discount for guests with a couple of nearby family style restaurants...nice touch. Unfortunately, I had to be up Island by mid morning so missed the continental breakfast provided by the hotel. Maybe it could start at 6:30 instead of 7:00 for early birds like me? The one thing that struck me this time were the little touches of humor in the hotel material like the little stand up sign that says something like "Who did the packing?" and advises that toothbrushes, etc. are available at the front counter. Cute. As usual, the room was clean, the bed was comfy and the fridge appreciated. This place does a really good job of being what it is...a pleasant place where travelers can relax comfortably after a day on the road or pursuing the many pleasures of Victoria.

Room Tip: The front rooms face onto a busy street but with the windows closed, you really can't hear the t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Klahanie
Calgary
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed @ the Accent while in Victoria for this event and visiting with local friends. While not as central as other hotels I used in the past, it lived up to its image as a clean, comfortable and friendly establishment. The kitchenette is small but I found everything I needed and all appliances worked well. They were very bicycle friendly, going so far as to leave me rags to clean my bike which I was able to store in my room. All the staff, including the cleaning, maintenance and front desk employees were helpful and courteous. Chris, the Manager, came out to chat and gave me directions to the Galloping Goose trail which is only two blocks away. Overall, the Accent is a good value that I would recommend to others.

Room Tip: I stayed on the back side which is likely a bit quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Rob C
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Nice little hotel located near Mayfair Mall, so about a 5 minute drive to downtown Victoria. I stayed there for work and it was comfortable and affordable. Check in was smooth, service was good, location was convenient, room was ok (nothing special, but not bad either - what you'd expect from a property like this). Nice to have free parking and free internet (which actually worked!). I usually try to stay at Choice/Quality hotels because of their points, but for some reason the price at Accent was considerably cheaper the week I was there, so tried it. If you collect Save-On More points (from Save-On foods), they give you 200 points per night for staying, which is a nice little bonus. There are a lot of tired, old hotels in Victoria. Luckily this was not one of them!

Room Tip: Back side of the hotel is nice & quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business