“Beautiful hotel right on the water!”

Victoria Regent Hotel
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 26 October 2010

We stayed 2 nights at this perfectly located suite/hotel. We chose a regular room rather than a more expensive suite. Although it overlooked the city side, rather than the water side, it was freshly redone, extremely clean, wonderful king bed, and a nice balcony with table and chairs. Windows wrapped around the entire curved room. We loved it! It sounds like the suites have not been updated as recently as our king room,(however we did not see the suites and they do overlook the water. ) The included breakfast was very good--you eat overlooking the harbor. The people at the desk were very helpful and polite. Free parking was underneath the hotel. The major city and harbor attractions were within walking distance. Watching the seaplanes take off and land right in front of the hotel was so interesting! Look for specials if the rates seem a little high--we did, and will certainly return to the Victoria Regent our next trip to Victoria!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kjoann

Reviewed 25 October 2010

The rooms were large and location very desirable. It could use some updating and service was not the greatest. All in all I would still recommend it expecially if you require a lot of space or travelling with a group.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I stayed here in August with my wife, 3 kids and mother. We had a 2 bedroom suite with a waterfront view which was very nice. After checking in I tried to put some valuables in the room safe, however it was faulty and would not lock. I reported it to reception who sent maintenance up to look at it, on arrival the maintenance man apologised and said he knew it was faulty and was unable to do anything and to use the reception safe boxes. So why didn't receptionalready know it was faulty when I reported it? to make matters worse when I went to put the valuables in the safe box behind reception the receptionist refused to let me behind reception to see him put it in the safe and lock it. This to me is a basic security requirement and when later I returned to retrieve the items a different receptionist said the earlier receptionist was wrong and apologised.
Breakfast was o.k however our party of 6 went to breakfast at different times(2 early, 4 later) and this seem to cause confusion as when I was checking out I noticed I had been charged extra for more people at breakfast. When I questioned this I was asked if there had been more adults staying in the room! I explained there had not and a refund was given For the price you pay for this hotel I would not have expected such basic errors that said I would recommend this hotel the suites were clean, peaceful and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Wooler
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We had a great suite at this hotel with part harbor view, but it was definitely too expensive, over $300 a night including all the lovely Canadian taxes.

Initially, we weren't too happy with the service at the hotel - to say the least. When we asked if we could get soy or rice milk for breakfast, we were told we would have to buy that ourselves. When I asked kindly if they could clean our room Sunday morning, they let us know we would have to wait till the departure rooms had been cleaned first.

Err, right. We're paying 300 dollars a night, and you have to fight to have your room cleaned at 10 am? Or get your own soy milk at the grocery across the bridge?

I was about to give this hotel 1 star for service, but the Regency totally redeemed themselves the last night we were there. When there was heavy construction going on in the room above us, they actually moved us to their three bedroom suite which I would recommend to any restless millionaire (or any family of three).

Wow, what a place. That was worth the whole stay and showed us that the hotel actually cares about their guests.

So now they have two friends for life. If only that noisy construction had started a little earlier ...

Yes, we would stay there again, even though it's stressful to spend the night in a three bed suite. So many beds, so little time!.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanishAccent
earlwilde, General Manager at Victoria Regent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2010

Although cleaning a mix of check outs and stay overs can be a bit of a juggling act, there can be no doubt that we should respond to a guest's request to have their room cleaned at a certain time. This has been addressed with our housekeeping department. We do not have a full commercial kitchen with extensive storage, so that makes it difficult to supply all items for breakfast. I am glad that we were able to upgrade you and make the remainder of your stay more pleasant.

Reviewed 28 July 2010

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, which appeared to be an apartment with a living room, full kitchen, and 2 large bedrooms. This would have been perfect for 2 couples traveling together because the set-up provided optimal privacy for each bedroom. Our room overlooked the harbor. It was a bit pricey for the age of the hotel, but we got the AAA rate...which I thought was a good deal before they added almost $60 in taxes to the per night rate. The room was clean and we had everything we needed. We stayed 3 nights. The location is great--within walking distance to everything. They offer a continental breakfast buffet each morning that was perfect for us. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2010

This is the 2nd time we stayed at the VR and with four adults and one child, this was a perfect location. We stayed for a week, which was a better deal. Able to walk everywhere downtown including across the Johnson Bridge to the Vic West side (Delta). 1st floor, 2 bedrm, 2 bathrm suite which suited us just fine. No elevator and just steps away from front door and the breakfast room. Noise not a problem except for a loud party upstairs of us who used their balconey to yell at passersby. A word with the front desk stopped that almost immediately. Wi-Fi, three TVs, full kitchen and dining area was really good. We ate out every lunch and cooked or brought food in every evening meal.

My only complaint would be that the parking is tight, especially for a rental van. As well, I could see in the hot summer with no A/C, leaving windows is a problem when the float planes take off and land. The exhaust fumes are pretty heavy and I could see it being noisy. While unusual to have warmer than 22 degrees C even in the summer, it has been known to happen.

Still, if comfort, cost and location is important, can't beat this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2010

This building used to be a crappy place. But since a couple it is renewed in a perfect way!
We had a family room. Great living, two large bed and bath rooms plus a great kitchen with all you might need. The balcony/patio gives a nice view on the harbor. Worth the rate you pay!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family