“outstanding restaurant”

Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Edmonton, Canada
“outstanding restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have stayed at the Union Club before and when I needed to book a hotel in VIctoria for a few nights I decided to return. I appreciate the central location but also staying here gives the guest access to the dining room, which in my opinion offers some of the best food in Victoria. Breakfast is included and the breakfast menu offers many options, including greek yogurt with honey and berries, which I appreciated having as an alternative to richer offerings like eggs benedict. The dinner buffet was Greek-themed, and was very good. I did not stay on a night when the fine dining menu was offered, but the a la carte dinner and lunch options were excellent; I would return just to have the Cobb salad again. Twice when people noticed I was eating alone they invited me to join their table, which I appreciated even though I declined the invitations. For the most part the service was very good, although the breakfast server was slow to offer refills on coffee even when the restaurant was not busy. There is a self-service coffee station nearby and some guests finally went to help themselves. The restaurant did have a coffee station in the center of the room and I was expecting that to be the source of my refills. If the staff would prefer guests to do self-service maybe they need to make that clear. The service at lunch and dinner was impeccable and on the basis of exceptional service for those meals I will still give the Union Club five stars for service. I did not spend much time in the room since I had a lot to do in Victoria; I found it unremarkable but acceptable. The dining room and public spaces are quite elegant.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jean_alberta_10
UCBC, Front Office Manager at Union Club British Columbia, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Jean,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the union Club. Thank you for providing your feedback. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the Executive Chef. Regarding the coffee refill service, I will inform the Food and Beverage Manager who will look into this further.
We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Kansas City Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Wonderful location only two blocks from the Empress Hotel, Visitors Center, Harbor restaurants and entertainment and more.

The view from the roof top patio at night is beautiful after a day of tours and walking. History surrounds you from lobby to library to quiet dining room. Previously a private gentlemen's club, it is now open to all adult guests. A moderate dress code is required so read before packing.

We slept every night on luxurious linens with windows open and curtains softly waving. Bathroom was small but roomy enough with medicine cabinet. Walk in closet and safe.

Included breakfast ordered from an open menu was delicious. Order eggs or steak a little more rare than you normally like. 24 hour coffee, tea, cocoa available in lobby as well as wifi in room (a little slower connection).

I would definitely stay again and recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Room with harbor view would be nice but we had city view with breeze, little noise and complaints...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Cheryl,

Thank you for your feedback.
We are certainly lucky with our historic building (101 years old), located in a prime position downtown, right by the inner harbour! I too love our elevator - the second oldest in British Columbia in fact! Thank you for providing the lovely recount of your time at the Club and we look forward to welcoming you on a return trip to the beautiful Victoria BC.
Victoria, British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

While I have never stayed here, I have eaten here on a number of occasions, the most recent being for our annual firm general meeting and dinner. The food was simply fantastic! Tuna Tataki Salad amazing! Beef Tenderloin Sublime! Ditto for the Creme Brûlée! And the service was unbelievable. Perhaps the best I've ever experienced! True professional waitstaff who know how to give proper service, very refreshing. There are many waiters and bartenders at other more mainstream establishments who could learn many lessons from these outstanding professionals.

The many dining rooms that are available are all beautifully and elegantly appointed as is the entire facility.

This place personifies an older much more civilized, classy and dignified time, that is getting more and more difficult to find and experience nowadays. While the atmosphere is a little stuffy or old English, it must be experienced and appreciated on occasion as a special treat and to get a little taste of what the upper class Brits live like. Indeed, one gets the impression that Sir Winston Churchill might walk in, or perhaps a high ranking British Officer in a pith hat!

While I don't dine here regularly, I always enjoy it when I do and look forward to returning.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CaseyluvsSophie
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your dining experiences at the Club. I will pass along your feedback to our Food and Beverage Manager and General Manager, as they will be eager to share this with the staff. We are glad to have been able to offer you exceptional service and amenities; which the Club strives to achieve, and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to the Union Club.
Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just stayed here and have nothing but great things to say! The free breakfast was delicious, the servers in the dining room were lovely. Our favorite was Kaleema.
The whole building is beautiful and very warm and inviting. It feels like a home away from home.
We were very tired when we checked in and the girl at the front desk was a professional. I think her name was Elizabeth. She checked us in and knew where we had come from and when we returned a short while later she made an excellent recommendation of where to head for a light bite. She knew who we were every time we visited the lobby and every time we returned she remembered where we had been and seemed genuinely interested in our outing. It was as if she had known us forever.
Our room was homey and comfortable. All the staff made us feel like well cared for family.
I highly recommend staying here . I know if we return to Victoria again we will book at The Union Club

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank G1951con
This is such a lovely review of your recent stay with us and we are so happy to hear you had such an amazing time! I will be sure to pass on your gratitude to the staff, in particular Kaleema and Elizabeth. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Victoria, BC and thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Wow! This place is located across the street from the Empress and overlooking the harbor from about 2 blocks away. It's also just a short walk from the ferry which we found very convenient. We absolutely loved the historic "old gentleman's club" charm of this place with the amazing woodwork throughout. The reading rooms were fantastic and we could have spent hours lingering there. We even found an old bible from the 1800's on the shelf! A great collection of books await you here. There's complimentary coffee and tea throughout the day, and even a wonderful outside deck to sit on and look out at the water. The complimentary breakfast was quite yummy, but I do think they require formal wear, which we did not mind at all. The staff was very friendly to us, allowing us to store our luggage before and after check-in and check-out. The rooms were small but sufficient and simple. The bed was quite comfortable. The shower water kind of fluctuates between hot and cold at times, but it was still acceptable. This place has an feeling of stateliness and class. I wouldn't recommend it for travelers with young children because it's so extremely quiet everywhere you go. Thankfully we were not with our two young kids. We imagined if we had been we'd be shushing them constantly, like in a library. Oh, and the old fashion elevator lift was charming. This place is well worth the price and then some. I'd much rather stay here any day of the week than the overcrowded, overpriced Empress across the street. We would definitely stay here again, and hope to soon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
UCBC, Front Office Manager at Union Club British Columbia, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive and detailed review of your recent experience with us!
We very much appreciate all feedback, as it enables the Union Club to continually improve and to offer our guests with exceptional services and experiences.
We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Victoria.
Parksville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed three nights at the Union Club in Victoria on the occasion of a family wedding. We had two nights in a single room and one night in a suite. The Union Club is celebrating its 125th year, 101 of those years at its current location in downtown Victoria. Despite its stately age the rooms and amenities are modern and comfortable. A delicious made-to-order served breakfast with all the trimmings was included with our room each day (brunch included on a weekend). The Union Club is located just steps from the Inner Harbour and downtown shopping, dining and entertainment. Free parking is available in a nearby parkade or on-street (after hours). The staff were very helpful and accommodating at all times.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the Inner Harbour. The rooms do not have air conditioners but do have win...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
UCBC, Front Office Manager at Union Club British Columbia, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words and positive review of your recent stay at the Union Club.
We greatly appreciate feedback for our establishment, as it enables us to progress and ensure we continue to provide excellent service and experiences for our guests.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed the breakfast - it is a popular bonus among hotel guests!

I do wish to clarify, we do not offer free parking. Unfortunately, the Club only has a limited amount of parking (attached to the building) for our members, which is included in their membership. We do have an affiliation with the Harbour Court parkade (about 1.5 blocks away) for $12.50 per day. This charge is added to your hotel invoice. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you again for your lovely feedback, we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Victoria.
Duncan, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

One of the oldest, still beautiful buildings in lovely downtown Victoria, I had had occasion to dine there once a few years ago, as a guest of the Lieutenant Governor Stephen Pointe (ok, there were about 30 other guests, too, but still, it was an honour). I was delighted to discover that this private club has a few hotel rooms that it rents to, well, anyone--even me! I stay in Victoria a few times a year-- usually at The Chateau (see my reviews), but I fancied a change, and the chance to see inside the beautiful building again. I was not disappointed. From the kind and friendly counter staff to the efficient and calm breakfast server, the cordial nods of the members, to the solicitous and polite chamber staff, this may be my new "go to" hotel....in fact I've already reserved a room for my trip next week. I guess there is nothing there you can't find in other elegant hotels, but to me it was absolutely magical being steeped in all that history-- I felt a bit like I'd snuck into Hogwarts or something.

I would recommend the Union Club for anyone who wanted a quiet get-away. Definitely secure for a woman traveling alone, and terrific value, even before you consider the complimentary coffee and tea (real tea pots!) and breakfast (eggs benedict, available on grilled tomato instead of english muffin, with spinach and chevre-- fantastic). I suppose the one drawback is the parking--prepare to walk a couple of blocks, but there is an easy to get to courtesy spot right out front to unload/load up). There is probably a level entry for disabled guests, I imagine, but there is a gorgeous stone stairway leading up to the main entrance. The location is unbeatable, however, and I can't wait to be back....

Although I am staying for business, even when I travel for pleasure, I don't tend to grub around in jeans and a T-Shirt. If that is your standard attire, you might want to be sure you review the dress code. If you are the sort of person who is offended by tradition and standards, and who thinks private clubs are snobby, this is not the destination for you. If you are open to wonderful, unexpected surprises and think dressing up is a treat, perhaps I'll see you on the elevator (oh... the elevator alone is worth the stay.....)

Room Tip: The king room was small for two (though the bed was ENORMOUS), but there is just one other chair. H...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
UCBC, Front Office Manager at Union Club British Columbia, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Ms. Read,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the Union Club with such amazing feedback from your recent experience. Please accept my sincerest apologies for my late response to your review!

We strive to provide excellent service and amenities at the Club for our guests and receiving feedback, such as your own, enables us to ensure we continue to develop as an excellent accommodation and dining provider in Victoria B.C. The breakfast is a popular item with our hotel guests and Club members and personally, the elevator is one of my favourite surprises also (second oldest in B.C.)!

Thank you for mentioning the ground entrance for any guests who would prefer to avoid stairs. This is located down the driveway on the left hand side of the building (Gordon Street).

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to the Club.