“In one word: graceful”

Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Portland, Oregon
“In one word: graceful”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I've labored over this review for several days. I believe whatever I say would be an understatement. Staying at the Union Club is like motoring a Chris Craft Catalina around the Great Lakes. Staying at the Union Club is like sitting in the back of a Silver Cloud. It is several notches above the neighboring Empress, without the bustle of 400 other guests. It was almost TOO nice. We are not titans of industry or barons of business or minister or Parliament.
We are merely teachers on holiday, but we were treated with the same kindness and respect as anyone else.

We stayed in King Suite and it was lovely - great attention to detail, exceptionally well crafted and very, very relaxing. There is a dress code and I appreciated it. I suppose the there is a time and place for tank tops and flip flops. The Union Club is not that place. The public areas are well appointed and furnished with leather chairs and davenports and inlaid wood tables. Ceilings soar two stories with gilded beams. There is a table for playing cribbage, a baby grand piano and stately carved fireplaces throughout. There is a snooker room as well, but we did not have the time to enjoy it. And there is reading material, not only daily newspapers but periodicals, and if one is so inclined and even quieter library with books.

The Union Club is in the middle of it all. It is a short stroll to the museum, to restaurants, to the inner harbor and to the ferry if one is coming in from Port Angeles.

Breakfast was part of our accommodation. I had eggs benedict, while my wife had benedict florentine. In both cases eggs were poached perfectly. Perhaps on another trip we might dine in. I suspect the food is quite good.

Full disclosure: I don’t work at this venue nor am I affiliated with anyone who does or any other competing venues.

Room Tip: get a King suite
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cody w
UCBC, Front Office Manager at Union Club British Columbia, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
A most gracious thank you, Cody, for your kind words. We're delighted to hear your appreciation of our historic building and it's always exciting to hear back from our room guests. We look forward to welcoming you to the Union Club on your next visit to the city of Victoria!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Our only regret or this stay was that it wasn't longer! What a neat find. It is a small place with only a few rooms, converted to "public" use in the "90's. (It is still a private club) But the location is great (Next to the Empress hotel) and the styling is "classic" with much wood paneling. The Reading Room is quiet and beautiful, and breakfast comes with the room. (Anything on the menu.)
You might call the place "quaint" and it features the 2nd oldest elevator in Canada! Some might find it too quiet, but we loved it. A perfect highlight to add to the end of a perfect cruise to Alaska. Can't say enough good about the place!

Room Tip: Pick a suite if you can - larger and very nice. (We had 217)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David C
Thank you for your review! We greatly appreciate your kind words and we're glad to hear about your experience here at the Club. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Union Club when you next visit the city of Victoria.
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Located across the street from the Empress Hotel and conveniently close to all the major sites in Victoria The Inn at the Union Club of BC was a great place to stay.
Breakfast was excellent and staff was willing and helpful.
Has that old English hotel look and though very clean could use some updating.

Room Tip: Queen suite on the second floor (211) was big with a lovely view of Inner Harbour
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear about your wonderful experience here at the Club. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Victoria!
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

On August 9th my wife and I celebrated a very special anniversary in grand style by booking a newly renovated corner harbour view suite at the Union Club in Victoria, British Columbia. The suite was nicely updated with special decorating touches that made it really feel like a home away from home. The bathroom has been upgraded with a new vanity and an excellent shower, Its original floor was maintained with black and white tiles. This was a wise choice along with the antique armoire and the very comfortable king size bed in the adjacent bedroom. The separate sitting area was pleasantly furnished and a relaxing place to read or watch television. Our experience was truly a memorable one which was enhanced by the full breakfast (included) that we enjoyed the next morning. We look forward to booking this suite again and highly recommend it to others as a superb place to stay!

Room Tip: Book a renovated corner suite.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rory442
UCBC, Front Office Manager at Union Club British Columbia, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide the Club with such a lovely review. We truly appreciate all feedback we receive, as it enables the Club to continually improve our services for an optimal guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in the Harbour Suite!
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have stayed at the Union Club before and when I needed to book a hotel in VIctoria for a few nights I decided to return. I appreciate the central location but also staying here gives the guest access to the dining room, which in my opinion offers some of the best food in Victoria. Breakfast is included and the breakfast menu offers many options, including greek yogurt with honey and berries, which I appreciated having as an alternative to richer offerings like eggs benedict. The dinner buffet was Greek-themed, and was very good. I did not stay on a night when the fine dining menu was offered, but the a la carte dinner and lunch options were excellent; I would return just to have the Cobb salad again. Twice when people noticed I was eating alone they invited me to join their table, which I appreciated even though I declined the invitations. For the most part the service was very good, although the breakfast server was slow to offer refills on coffee even when the restaurant was not busy. There is a self-service coffee station nearby and some guests finally went to help themselves. The restaurant did have a coffee station in the center of the room and I was expecting that to be the source of my refills. If the staff would prefer guests to do self-service maybe they need to make that clear. The service at lunch and dinner was impeccable and on the basis of exceptional service for those meals I will still give the Union Club five stars for service. I did not spend much time in the room since I had a lot to do in Victoria; I found it unremarkable but acceptable. The dining room and public spaces are quite elegant.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jean_alberta_10
UCBC, Front Office Manager at Union Club British Columbia, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Jean,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the union Club. Thank you for providing your feedback. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the Executive Chef. Regarding the coffee refill service, I will inform the Food and Beverage Manager who will look into this further.
We look forward to welcoming you back in future.
Kansas City Missouri
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Wonderful location only two blocks from the Empress Hotel, Visitors Center, Harbor restaurants and entertainment and more.

The view from the roof top patio at night is beautiful after a day of tours and walking. History surrounds you from lobby to library to quiet dining room. Previously a private gentlemen's club, it is now open to all adult guests. A moderate dress code is required so read before packing.

We slept every night on luxurious linens with windows open and curtains softly waving. Bathroom was small but roomy enough with medicine cabinet. Walk in closet and safe.

Included breakfast ordered from an open menu was delicious. Order eggs or steak a little more rare than you normally like. 24 hour coffee, tea, cocoa available in lobby as well as wifi in room (a little slower connection).

I would definitely stay again and recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Room with harbor view would be nice but we had city view with breeze, little noise and complaints...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Cheryl,

Thank you for your feedback.
We are certainly lucky with our historic building (101 years old), located in a prime position downtown, right by the inner harbour! I too love our elevator - the second oldest in British Columbia in fact! Thank you for providing the lovely recount of your time at the Club and we look forward to welcoming you on a return trip to the beautiful Victoria BC.
Victoria, British Columbia
Reviewed 15 August 2014

While I have never stayed here, I have eaten here on a number of occasions, the most recent being for our annual firm general meeting and dinner. The food was simply fantastic! Tuna Tataki Salad amazing! Beef Tenderloin Sublime! Ditto for the Creme Brûlée! And the service was unbelievable. Perhaps the best I've ever experienced! True professional waitstaff who know how to give proper service, very refreshing. There are many waiters and bartenders at other more mainstream establishments who could learn many lessons from these outstanding professionals.

The many dining rooms that are available are all beautifully and elegantly appointed as is the entire facility.

This place personifies an older much more civilized, classy and dignified time, that is getting more and more difficult to find and experience nowadays. While the atmosphere is a little stuffy or old English, it must be experienced and appreciated on occasion as a special treat and to get a little taste of what the upper class Brits live like. Indeed, one gets the impression that Sir Winston Churchill might walk in, or perhaps a high ranking British Officer in a pith hat!

While I don't dine here regularly, I always enjoy it when I do and look forward to returning.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CaseyluvsSophie
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your dining experiences at the Club. I will pass along your feedback to our Food and Beverage Manager and General Manager, as they will be eager to share this with the staff. We are glad to have been able to offer you exceptional service and amenities; which the Club strives to achieve, and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to the Union Club.