“A Gem of a Property”

Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Qualicum Beach
“A Gem of a Property”
Reviewed 28 March 2008

Unlike a recent write-up on this property from a fellow traveller this month, I have always found this hotel, as a matter of fact, to go above and beyond in its service to its guests. After returning for over a 15 year period to the Quality Inn as a VIP member, I can tell you that the staff is second to none and I believe what most people need to realize that it is a 3 star property and not to have unrealistic expectations for that of a 5 star property. Their service and attention to detail is above anything you would find at say the Empress or Marriott combined with very comfortable and convenient surroundings. I look forward to my next stay over the summer period!

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Regretted not booking a suite
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 26 March 2008

I visited Victoria in November 2007, decided to stay here because of location, price and tripadvisor reviews. I really enjoyed my stay there of 3 nights.

Always had parking spots available that were FREE and although I kept missing the great specials at the hotel restaurant; I really did want to try the meals there... they advertise such great specials. Many good restaurants near by so no need to drive, enjoyed the bread shop a couple blocks up the street and also had no problem with trips to the harbor or any of the nearby attractions. Special kudos to the front desk staff there as they have endured many hotel management and ownership changes over the years, yet have still remained loyal to the site for more than two decades. Because they know the area so well, their knowledge is an asset to us unknowing visitors to a new and strange locale.

I did have some long conversations in the lobby due mostly in part to the slow speed of their internet connection. The computer was mostly available when needed, I feel that upgrading the speed of internet service would greatly reduce the time needed on the computer. If they decide not to upgrade the speed, perhaps adding another station to access the internet would be beneficial.

Overall this hotel is like life, you can make lemonade from lemons or meatloaf from Filet mignon, your choice. This property does have some little "issues" that could be improved upon, but, for the price I paid for my stay...those issues are what give the property character. I say value wise this property is two thumbs up!

I just want to add something that I remember reading prior to reserving my room here. A comment made about the parking situation here. The complaint was along the lines that if there was not parking in the hotel lot, they had to walk across the street for more FREE parking, well reimbursed parking...I thought, why drive if you are complaining about free parking...so you have to jump through some hoops to get reimbursed, if it's an issue go stay else where and pay another $20 a nite to park your auto. Some comments here are pitiful and downright ridiculous.

• Liked — Location and ease of access to property from main thoroughfares.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed 24 March 2008

Yes, this hotel has a great location. We walked everywhere. It looks great from the outside. We did not have long waits for the only elevator. The room was clean, and there were extras like a free newspaper, free parking (we parked once and never used our car again during our stay). The lobby Internet access was down some of the time, and I could not get my Palm configured correctly to access the wireless internet. Front desk was always courteous, but noticeably understaffed. At times, even during busy check in and check out times, there is only one clerk to answer a busy phone, so you will be kept waiting forever to get any service.

We booked two rooms with two Q beds and a kitchenette on the internet more than one month in advance. We received: one room with 2 Q and kitchenette, and, um... sorry, but we forgot to book your other kitchenette and we are full tonight. We had to reject the offer of a K upgrade with pullout sofa (we need 2 beds! That's why we booked 2 beds!), so we ended up with the second room as 2Q, no kitchenette. The clerk basically sat there looking at me as I told him it wasn't acceptable, and offered no further solutions. Finally, I asked for and received free breakfasts: this sounds like a perk, but we had packed breakfast items and they basically rotted for 4 days.

I had to go down to the front desk to remind them to adjust the price as the 2Q room is a downgrade from the 2Q kitchenette room.

Other check in glitches: They booked us for 2 nights instead of 3, meaning that we were locked out and had to get new keys for the last night, meaning yet another long wait at the front desk. We also did not receive a key to the locked cupboards in the kitchenette at check in, so we had to go to the front desk to get the key.

When we finally unlocked the kitchenette, we found one ceramic cup, two bowls, and lots of plates. I can't comment on the rest of the contents since I didn't end up cooking much, but we did need some bowls and cups, and there weren't enough! I guess I would have had to make another trip to the front desk to get more cups and bowls...

So, we ate at the restaurant. It was strangely barren, and the breakfast our first day required a long wait time. This was the reason why we booked a kitchenette: to avoid wasting time eating breakfast in a restaurant. Sigh. The waitress was great, though, and the food was fine.

The room itself is fine as well. Fairly spacious--except, notably, the bathroom, which was so small that the door swings open over almost the entire floor area and its arc almost touches the toilet! The towel rack overhangs the toilet seat, and ours seemed to be in danger of pulling out of the wall.

And now for the deal breaker: Noise. You can clearly hear conversations from the hall when you're in your room. This works in reverse, so those in the hall hear everything in your room. Basically, you are at the mercy of your fellow hotel guests. Let's hope they're quiet when you're there. For the three nights we were there, they were very badly behaved on the first night, with talking in the hallway waking us up at midnight, 3 am, and 6 am. The second and third nights were progressively better, or maybe that's because I was so tired that I couldn't wake up to hear the noise! You can also hear neighbouring room conversations, slightly muffled, TV programs, and the sound of children crying a few doors down, if you are particularly unlucky. I think you get the picture.

The mattresses caused back pain for two of us (I didn't ask the other two of us about this point). This is also a deal breaker for me.

The pool was small and you can stand up in the deep end, with the shallow end being 4'6. The temperature was acceptable, but the water was so murky that we could not see our toes. I would put visibility at maybe 3 feet! Yikes! There was no smell of chlorine. Now, is that a good or bad thing?!!! On the positive side, it was usable.

We asked for a quiet room on a higher floor away from the elevator and stairs. Our room was on the 2nd floor (of 3 levels), facing the courtyard (no traffic noise), and 3 rooms away from the elevator. I'd say they were batting 1 for 3 on "special requests."

Would we stay again? You get what you pay for. This hotel is at a reasonable price for downtown, but if you can't get a decent night's sleep, is it worth the savings?

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise, aching back beds, disorganized administration.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2007

Booked through the Choice Hotels website and got the amazing internet rate of $53 per night. We were accidentally upgraded when we checked in, but when she spotted we were on the internet rate and shouldn't really be upgraded she let us keep the better room anyway.
It was a huge corner room with newly renovate bathroom with granite counter. Really clean. Only downside was a bit of traffic noise, but glad to pay that price for an upgraded room and it wasn't bad enough to keep us awake at night.
Wireless internet worked perfectly.
We were too busy to use the pool - but it looked fine.
This hotel is in an excellent location, easy stroll to harbour, downtown and movie theatres, just what we wanted.
We had no trouble with the car park, it was virtually empty and the system worked perfectly - I guess that's because we were there at a less busy time of year from the people who had trouble with it.
We travel to Victoria a couple of times a year and will definitely stay here next time - for that rate there is just no point staying anywhere else. We would rather spend the money we save over more expensive accommodation at the wonderful Pagliacci's restaurant!

• Liked — Great location - upgraded to huge room
  • Disliked — A little traffic noise, but not unbearable
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Twinkleys
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 17 September 2007

We had a corner room which was nicely furnished, large and clean. It was convenient to the museum, Parliament, and restaurants. The parking lot was full and we had to park across the street and get reimbursed which was a bit of a nuisance but not a major obstacle. We had breakfast at the hotel the first morning and found the service to be slow and the food mediocre. The second night of our two night stay was marred by the appearance of a mouse who was in my tote bag where I had some almonds in a plastic container. We then noticed an electric mouse trap under the TV stand. The desk clerk who checked us out said the rodent problem resulted from nearby excavation and construction, so he wrote off the cost of the breakfast. We didn't ask for further compensation or explanation. I've never dealt with a mouse in a hotel room before, but now I may look around the room before deciding to stay, just in case there is evidence of a problem.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking & onsite restaurant
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Booklover48
no.cal
Reviewed 27 August 2007

We received a free night through rewards program (BTW, they have the lowest requirement for rewards!), and didn't expect much, so we were pleasantly suprised. The location was great, the staff very professional, our room was spotless and updated. Mind you, we expected the smallest, least convenient room due to our freebie, but ended up getting one of the biggest rooms (complete with kitchen unit and quiet balcony area outside).
Internet access was free and no, you did not have to bring your own laptop for the wifi, you could use their computer, which we did.

The elevator was no slower than other hotels.

Our chief complaint? Like everyone else, we thought the garage situation was ridiculous, from access to the size of the spaces to the alternative to parking across the street and making arrangements for re-embursement. They need to do something about this because it is the type of hotel that attracts car travellers as much as business people.

• Liked — size and condition of the room
  • Disliked — parking situation
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank toycona
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2007

This Quality Inn did not meet the standards that we've come to expect from the name. It really presents more like an Econo Lodge (which we prefer to avoid). The location is the main reason we selected this hotel, and we felt good about our choice at the time we booked--given we expected a 3 star experience.
The biggest problems with the property were the parking garage (very limited space and hard to get in and out of), the lack of air conditioning in our unit, and the slow elevator with no stair access within the hotel. Other complaints were less important to us (but still enough to make us not want to return)...like uncomfortable beds, dirty windows, etc.
This is a very old building and at least in the part of the hotel we stayed at, it doesn't look like much upgrading has been done.....if you really want to stay here, opt for the "newer" rooms. However, at an increased price for those, you may as well stay somewhere else and be assured a pleasant stay.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The old and poorly kept rooms and lame parking garage
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family