“Old building, but kept up very well.”

Bedford Regency Hotel
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Vancouver, Canada
“Old building, but kept up very well.”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I had a two night "voucher" to stay here. When I checked in I was assigned a room on the first floor. The room was tiny and had a toilet, sink and shower stall tucked in one corner. The window looked through a wooden lattice work onto a mini courtyard. Not ideal if you are claustrophobic! I went back to the desk and for a reasonable up-charge got a room on the third floor with a view of the bay. There was a Jacuzzi tub and a wood burning fireplace with a modest supply of firewood. Perfect for a romantic getaway! The place is clean and relatively quiet. Right in the middle of downtown Victoria, so everything is within walking distance. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This hotel is centrally located downtown and offers good value for money. Got a deal of $51 per night through Expedia and I was happy with my stay. The hotel definitely has a lot of character, although is quite dated. The bed was firm but comfortable enough, however the shower was horrible- could not get the right temperature and it had very poor water pressure. Parking is a short walk away in a secure facility for a cost of $11 per night. There is a '10 mins max' drop off zone in front of the hotel- although there is only just enough room for 2 cars so I imagine it would be very difficult unloading luggage etc if it is full- would be better if this hotel had their own parking.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AJF90
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I stayed for two nights at the Bedford Regency in March 2013. I still recommend this hotel because of its awesome location in Victoria, but the bloom is off the rose. This was my third stay at Bedford.

Pros:

Service is attentive and helpful (not overly solicitous, which is great for me). For example, the last two times that I have stayed, I have requested a room overlooking Government Street, and each time I have gotten that kind of room without even having to ask at check-in.

The hotel in general and room are quite clean. This time around, I would say the room was not as scrupulously clean as I have seen in the past, but still quite clean. The room is well laid out and has thoughtful touches like fridge, slippers, coffee maker. I love that the windows open a little bit so you can sit on the window seat and enjoy the scene. The bed is comfy.

The location of the hotel is wonderful. A five-minute walk from the ferry terminal, right on Government Street. You couldn't be closer to shopping and nightlife. That said, if you are a light sleeper, you may want to ask for a room not right on Government Street on the weekend because it can be a touch loud.

We had a great time in the Ledge Lounge and Garrick's Head Pub. Thanks to the friendly bartender with the NYPD T-shirt who held the door open for us. :) (From the Seattle girls!)

Con:

Bedford Regency, it. is. time. for. a. remodel. It is clear that some things have been updated. The dinky tube TV has been replaced with a flat screen, the furniture has been re-upholstered, and the toilet is brand new. Somehow, these updates make the rest of the room seem dingier in comparison. These rooms are well-loved. The beds are dated, the desk is chipped, and the tile in the bathroom has seen better days. Even the sad, laminated hotel info and menus could be updated and bring some fresh charm to the room. Since the Bedford is calling itself a boutique hotel, it is time to invest in a comprehensive update to add some freshness.. I consider this hotel very, very well maintained, but time has taken its toll. And I would pay quite a bit more per night for an updated version of this wonderful hotel. This is the first time in three stays that I can honestly say I will shop around and likely stay elsewhere before staying at the Bedford.

Overall, if budget and a fun location are at the top of your list, and you don't mind a hotel that is becoming a bit down at heel, I highly recommend the Bedford. If you are looking for super modern and crisp, I recommend you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms on Government Street are fun, but if sleep-in time is important to you, a room on the back sid...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank TravelingPenguin
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Pulled up at the hotel expecting something that would "just do" but was really happy to get a huge room, with a flat screen TV, big tiled shower with two shower heads in it. The layout of the room was kooky (we had two sinks for some reason, on opposite sides of the room) but I found it charming. It wasn't new, or luxurious, but clean and comfortable. The location is fabulous, and although parking is 2 blocks away, it wasn't that much of a pain. Staff were nice too, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank escapade_artist
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2012

an extremely good price through an Expedia sale put us right in the thick of downtown shopping in Victoria just before Christmas. It was a great location with everywhere we wanted to go within walking distance. Parking was not at the hotel, but neither was it far away and it did have security.
Also, unloading in front of the hotel and checking in was easy. Although it was in a busy area, our room at the back faced the harbour and a quiet street. Noise was not a problem. Other reviews mentioned tiny rooms but ours was quite spacious with a lounge area by the TV and an actual working fireplace with wood provided. This could possibly be both a plus or detriment to people as the first night we entered our room to quite a bit of smoke until we realized it was coming down the chimney without the damper closed. Closing the damper worked but we had to air the room for a while. This COULD be a problem to those sensitive to smoke. Myself, I had a good sleep, feeling like I'd nodded off in a cabin. There was a jacuzzi tub in the ensuite and the thing i mentioned to the front desk was that in all my travels in recent years i hadn't stayed in such a spotless room, I even combed my finger over a ledge expecting dust - I mean this is a room with a fireplace. None found. I think the room may have been recently reno'd which might be partly responsible for its cleanliness. Anyway, that was a real treat at Christmastime in the city and was much appreciated. Oh, and one other thing: within a stone's throw is a myriad of dining choices including Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, the keg, and the famed rebar for vegetarian choices....and a billion coffee stops. I grabbed some reading material (munro's books steps away) and a coffee (murchie's too) and returned to my room for a relaxing pause in the day's shopping. Nice.

Room Tip: Ours at the back was roomy and quiet....I don't know if all rooms have fireplaces, but if you ha...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fisher_eye_lens
Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

Undeniably the ideal location for those who want to enjoy shopping, eating, taking in the beautiful historic buildings of Victoria...and walking distance to waterfront. Basic but clean and comfortable hotel. Great value, great location. No regrets!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jen M
Vancouver
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Well you can't escape a mansion when you pay for a bungalow. This hotel is value for money. Cheap and cheerful and certainly a clean place to sleep. I would use this hotel again for business trips.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Faye S