“Top floor, harbour view!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bedford Regency Hotel

Bedford Regency Hotel
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Fircrest, Washington
“Top floor, harbour view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

The Bedford regency is literally in the middle of all the shops, pubs and fun of Victoria. I read many reviews on the Bedford from really bad to great. Our experience was awesome. Our room was ready when we arrived and we were given a room that I requested through email.
We went to our room which was very clean and a decent size. It was a superior room on the top floor with a the Harbour view.
Yes, the hotel is dated. It is an old hotel. But it was quirky and cute. We went the 2nd week in August so the weather was warm as was our room. But we didn't stay in our room. We got up every morning, got dressed and enjoyed Victoria. The evenings were fine when we came back. We opened our windows and let the cool air in.
I still give our stay at this hotel 4 stars with just one warning to other guests;
The seagulls on the harbour view side are VERY VERY loud. They will wake you up and will keep you up. Haha. We had to find the humor in it as the seagull's home was on the roof of the building right across the street. So, get ear plugs or enjoy the sounds. The view is awesome!

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor. The superior rooms are great! Only issue are the LOUD seagulls.
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Langley City, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Once upon a time this hotel must have been beautiful........our room looked like it was from the 1940-50's......not complaining, it was very quaint. Very cozy with the real fireplace with fire logs waiting to be used, a comfortable bed by the two large windows overlooking the harbour, and many containers of lovely flowers on the ledge outside, gave the room even more atmosphere. The washroom area closed with a sliding glass door. The TV hung across the length of the room, from the bed therefore making it harder to watch. But one only uses the hotel room mainly for sleeping, so it definitely was adequate for that.

Room Tip: Our room faced the harbour, was bright and sunny, giving the room a romantic look and because the ho...
Kamloops, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Sigh... This is a difficult review to give. Firstly let me say that often when I am looking for a hotel I will stay at a boutique hotel if given the opportunity. This hotel more or less fits the bill of that with the exception that most boutique hotels have undergone an update in the last decade or so. That really didn't trouble me though as the Jacuzzi Room that I had booked at the front desk was quite charming. The amenities are a bit basic but it has some unique aspects to it that I loved. The thing that stood out the most was the wood burning fireplace. I didn't use it as it was the middle of summer but it was a great feature none the less. The other thing that I thought would justify it's more than average price was the Jacuzzi. I didn't get to enjoy it that evening but I, being someone who is 6'2" and doesn't fit in a normal tub, was really looking forward to a soak in the morning.

The location is fantastic. As a younger male there are really few hotels in Victoria that are more centrally located to go out with some drinks with friends and walk back to the hotel and that's what I did.

All was quite well (although room darkening blinds would have been nice) until the morning. I decided to fill the Jacuzzi for that soak I had been anticipating. Filling the tub was beyond slow, but who really cares. Once filled I fired up the jets and then.... I don't know what kind of brown organic matter came shooting out of those jets but it was everywhere. I would have been happy to have identify it as rust but it looked more like fecal matter. Well that was the end of that idea, I left the tub full of water so that I could show the personnel at the front if they didn't believe me, got dressed, packed my bag and headed downstairs disappointed and disgusted.

As the saying goes sh.. happens. I expected to encounter someone at the front who would be apologetic and perhaps offer some sort of compensation. Even a gesture such as waiving the parking fee for the unacceptable state of the tub. When I raised the issue respectfully with the guy at the front desk he shrugged it off and said, "I'll let housekeeping know, will you be paying with your credit card or debit?" Not even so much as a sorry. I reiterated that it seemed to be fecal matter and he reiterated that he would let housekeeping know. It is really one of those cases where your staff needs to be on point if you hope to have the customer back or want a favourable review under the circumstances and they blatantly dropped the ball. I was really just disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mike O

Travellers are raving about these Victoria hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

The best part of the Bedford Regency was the location. Right in the heart of downtown Victoria and the harbour front. Parking is several blocks away and we weren't warned that "after hours" (Sunday morning before 11am) we would have to make arrangements with the front desk to gain entry. Room was very dated and did not match the photos online on their website. Very strange layout with a bi-folding door to close off the bathroom. That being said the room was fairly clean and quiet. Elevator unfortunately as broken during our stay so we had to walk up several stories with all of our bags.

Sleep Quality
Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We had arranged for an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver and decided to spend a couple days in Victoria, mostly to visit Butchart Gardens. We did not rent a car and wanted to stay within walking distance of down town. We chose the Bedford for its location. What a cute place it is. Nestled among stores and restaurants, it reminded me of an old English Inn. The room was adequate in size and super clean. No concierge or bell service, but the front desk clerk was very helpful and gave us useful information. Right next door is a wonderful coffee shop with delicious pastries and croissants. We would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
2 Thank Concierge67
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

The one and only thing this hotel has going for it is location - right downtown on Douglas, between the Bard & Banker and the Irish Times pubs. A loading zone out front where 2 cars could park if anyone thought of anyone other than themselves, which didn't happen on arrival or departure. Parking was extra, 3 blocks away. Pink hallways and in the rooms - perhaps was supposed to look heritage but instead just looked tacky. Claustrophobic room, although it was amazingly quiet at night. Rather unfriendly counter staff - did not go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Had to ask for the wifi code, which then did not work - couldn't be bothered to complain as I was only there one night. Got this is a last minute "deal" on Hotwire - it would be a real joke to pay the regular posted rate.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Location couldn't be better. Found free parking on the street Room was clean - double bed only, but fairly comfortable with character. Air conditioning wasn't working that well - so room was a little warm. But pretty quiet. Will stay there again. Fridge and bar area. Wood burning fireplace in the room would be nice in winter. Pub downstairs.

Rooms