“Old world charm with amazing service and ambiance!”

Humboldt House Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #10 of 91 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 August 2013

What can I say? The Humboldt House B&B is much more than a B&B..it is a home away from home (but with better service and much better breakfasts!) David and his wife are the key to this amazing nook of old world charm and service. Booking was a dream and David went out of his way to accomodate my needs on business (2 nights) as well as personally with my family.(3 nights) The suites are amazing c/w fireplaces, jacuzzi's and Victorian furnishings. The rooms were VERY quiet and private as this B&B is situated on a quiet street yet close to the harbour (10 minute walk) and all shopping (5-10 minutes walk.)
David has a wonderful breakfast menu which can change daily. Not the "continental" stuff of other establishments but eggs benedict with croissants, fresh fruit, orange juice (to go with your complimentary champagne), coffee/tea or his signature seafood and smoked salmon crepes .... all ending with a hand-made and exquisite truffle. This is by far the best kept secret in Victoria....but not for long!!!

Room Tip: The Edwards room is wonderful (for a couple) as is the floral room (for a family). The upper floors...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Can't say enough good things about this B&B. A bit pricey but the manager there, Dave, sure delivered it. So it's worth every penny. He welcomed us with tasty truffle and wine. He even let us choose which room to stay at and we picked a bigger one but in the end all the rooms are equipped with jacuzzi tub and very mood soothing music. The location is great. Will return for sure! Oh and Buchart Garden tickets are cheaper here too ;)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

This was a very good bed and breakfast, with a central location. The breakfasts were large and delicious. My only complaint is breakfast is served to each separately to ensure quality and freshness, so you have to sign up early, or you have to wait until later in the morning to have breakfast. The room was smaller, but clean. I would definitely return, and recommend this bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Loved it, will always come back...

We stayed Mikado room, very romantic (with a jacuzzi tub) but maybe a little dated.

Truffles and roses were a nice touch. Great breakfast, with four choices. Close to downtown and in a quiet area.

Awesome! Great job.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The hotel I had originally booked bungled my reservation. My parents were staying at the Humboldt, where I met them. When David learnt of my situation, he graciously found a way to accommodate me on very short notice. The rooms are spacious, the beds comfortable, and the breakfasts delicious. What impressed me the most was their helpfulness. They went out of their way to make our stay with them a special experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. All have tubs but not all have a stand up shower. I was able to get one w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Great location. I loved having both a fireplace and jacuzzi tub in the room. Breakfast was wonderful. Our whole stay was very indulgent.

My only suggestion is an eco-friendly service, as we would've happily opted out of having maid service for our stay and reusing our towels as well as keeping the sheets until we left.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We had spent a few days in Victoria at the Humboldt House for my husband's conference and it was a great experience.

The location is excellent to start off with -- incredibly close to downtown and a beautiful park with a petting zoo.

The house is gorgeous -- Victorian-style rooms with beautiful details. We loved ours and found it very clean and cozy. I can see it being the perfect place for honeymooners and couples. It was very quiet during the evening too, so we had restful sleeps.

We have a toddler and we felt so welcome the entire time by the Innkeeper, David, and his family. When we asked which room to book, we were recommended the Windsor Room for privacy and to avoid disrupting other guests. We were able to take a 'shortcut' through the office many times and schlep our stuff (oh, babies) back and forth from the parking (free parking in the back, I should mention!) to our room. There was never any attitude -- everyone was so kind, understanding and accommodating. Also, my husband needed an urgent work-related favour and the Innkeeper went above and beyond to help. If we needed anything, we felt comfortable to ask.

The food (we love food)... We were so delighted at the quality of the breakfasts. You have several choices and everything is homemade -- every component. Everything was fresh and delicious and delivered to the suite at the time requested. Little extras were added for our little one, which we appreciated. The Innkeeper is also a chocolatier and you are treated to two delicious truffles (with sparkling wine) when you arrive. We purchased a box to bring back home.

To summarize, we had a wonderful stay and would visit again. Thanks for everything!

Room Tip: Feel free to ask Innkeeper for recommendations!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family