“Charming”

Rosewood Victoria Inn
Ranked #18 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2014

What a charming and inviting inn. The area is very pretty and quaint, a world of of a slower pace, away from big city traffic and people. Breakfast is included though you have to sign up for a time slot. Earlier time slot is always filled first. if it doesn't fit in your schedule, I would just skip it and eat elsewhere.

I assume each room is different as this is more like a house than a standard hotel. The night we arrived, it was cold, and the heat wasn't working properly. It was working better the next day. It was after hours, and we were able to get the keys from a lockbox.I would recommend this inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
JABoughton, Director Inventory Management at Rosewood Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for your kind words. Rosewood Inn is a bed and breakfast that has been working hard at updating the rooms and interior sitting area this past year. You are correct in assuming each room is different although they all have the floral theme. Please come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We love this charming hotel. It reminds me of a b and b in the English countryside. Breakfasts were always different and tasty, and afternoon Tea was a real treat. The only down side is the parking issues here, he did get a parking ticket for staying too long on the street. :(. Other, than that, it was a perfect stay. We were there for 7 nights while visiting family in Victoria. We would go back again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed for a three night getaway in March. Our early arrival on a Wednesday was no problem and we were registered and in our room in about 10 minutes. We had an upstairs room in the newer (green) building and it was lovely. And huge. It was called a "hotel room" and was just one room but it had a huge sitting/TV/fireplace area with a small fridge and lots of built in cabinets. The bathroom was also massive with a big soaker tub and separate shower. Like most VI properties, it had no toiletries other than soap in the bathroom. The whole thing had an old fashioned feeling with rose patterned wallpaper on all the walls and over the very high ceiling. Despite this building having been added to the property in the late '90s, it was VERY nicely built with lots of millwork and windows that replicated the many old buildings in the James Bay area. It was showing its age in a few places in minor ways (scuffing on the tub surround was the most noticeable) but was very clean and smelled it. For some reason we had no headboard on our bed but did have lots of pillows. (I peeked in a couple of other rooms on our floor as they were being cleaned and they had headboards! And different wallpaper. One was yellow and charcoal toile - it was gorgeous!) The windows open and the heat and fireplace both work well. We did have to search for the thermostat to turn down the heat at one point - I think we found it behind the large wardrobe - had to give that a shove but once we did that to access the thermostat all was good. Free phone calls from the room throughout BC or maybe it was North America. BC for sure, as that was all I used. Free WIFI in the room and public areas.

At first, I wondered about the mandatory $13.00 for breakfast and "afternoon tea" (that is for both meals, per person, per day, not 13.00 for each meal) but we loved it. You must sign up the day before for breakfast to let them know how many to cook for and also by sometime in the morning for the 2pm "tea". We had breakfast three times during our stay and each was different but very, very good. They began with a fresh hot muffin, juice and tea or coffee. This is quickly followed by a fruit cup and then a small but interesting hot entree. The beverages were repeatedly refilled and when we were there extra muffins were on offer all day until the batch was gone. The best $6.50 breakfast in town. The afternoon tea could easily double as lunch. It is served at 2pm sharp and includes a big hot scone (jam and cream included) with tea or iced tea followed by a tray of fruit, tea sandwiches and small desserts. We only indulged once (on our last day - technically after we checked out but their policy seems to be that since you missed it on the day you checked in, you can come back for it after you check out!) but next time we will use it more often. It would have saved us a lot of money on eating out. The meals are served in a glass conservatory type of room built to join the two houses that make up the Rosewood Inn. Sitting there in the sunshine or the rain having a lovely meal with white tablecloths and good service was pretty nice. On the whole, I like this feature very much and would come back here just for it frankly. You can't eat two meals out in Victoria for 13.00.

The location of the Rosewood is great for walking around downtown Victoria and James Bay. The hotel is one block behind the Legislature Buildings and on the same street as the Empress Hotel (it's on the corner of Government and Michigan). The building itself is pretty and fits the neighbour which is full of heritage homes. It is well kept and has parking for about 10 cars so it would be tight on a holiday weekend. The staff were all friendly and welcoming and we felt like this was a home away from home. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: At least one room has a very modern gourmet kitchen. Ask if you are doing your own cooking.
4  Thank MyAnnieD
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was our third time at the Rosewood and the first time under its new ownership. Our room was in the newer section and while on the third floor, was very large, bright, comfortable and had a very good seating area with a couch and chair and a TV. The breakfast, as always, was very good with three courses. Sign up the night before for the earlier or the later seating. This was the first time we took advantage of the afternoon tea (sign up the night before). While the 3:00 time was early, being right in the middle of the afternoon, we managed to make it a couple of times and on a couple of other days, had them pack it up and leave it in our room fridge. Great late night snack! Sandwiches, fruit and incredible scones. The Rosewood is generous with their recipe sharing. The downtown location behind Parliament and the Princess Hotel and the under 10 munite walk to the fabulous BC Museum, can't be beat, the free wifi is great, the comfort, the large rooms, the staff very nice and accommodating. The only "complaint" which has always been the case, is that the breakfast, while totally delicious, seems expensive at $13.00 each. At least this price hasn't changed over the years.

Room Tip: Ask by telephone in advance. They will describe the rooms. The two rooms we have stayed in were bo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Rosewood is a great place if you are in Victoria for a few days without a car (e.g. taking the Clipper from Seattle). Just a block behind the Parliament building, so its an easy walk to downtown, BC Museum (which is worth a couple of days in itself if you've never been!), Beacon Hill Park and the beach walk, and the buses to outer destinations (e.g. Butchart Gardens). We had our car for our one week stay, but left it in the Rosewood lot for at least three of those days.
Beyond that, regular B&B users are likely to be somewhat disappointed by several aspects. The staff, while courteous, helpful, and professional, do not project the personal touch one finds with most owner-operator-type B&Bs. The breakfast, while generous, is not particularly noteworthy, and indeed if staying for a week becomes predictable and bland. The afternoon tea (which you pay for whether you partake or not) is generally not worth returning to the inn at 2pm in the afternoon in spite of the convenient location. Just to mention one aspect, for a city that prides itself on its afternoon teas, the teas offered here are extraordinarily ordinary off-the-shelf Liptons etc., and sandwiches likewise lack imagination. After arranging our day to partake early in the week, we skipped it for the remainder.
Although VI is clearly investing in the Rosewood (there was re-decorating going on throughout the week we were there), some upgrades just don't work out. In our room, the modern, contemporary-design bathroom fixtures seemed out of place with the 100-year-old wall-board and radiator. Our TV was an old (and small) CRT inconveniently located atop the dresser, and I couldn't get the video player to work. The front desk was very accommodating, allowing us to use the much more comfortable (and updated) room across the hall with its modern set and better sitting room layout for movie watching. There are some things the upgrades may fall short on. I was concerned about street noise (which proved largely unfounded except for occasional construction noise from a large near-by project, but the wood floors transmit footsteps from the room above so we knew our neighbors' every move, as well as awareness of their water usage (toilet/shower)! Painting was sloppy and furnishings were not up to most B&B standards.

3  Thank Hollyrik
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We are VI owners and stayed at the Rosewood for 4 nights for our anniversary. We had room 16, the Daffodil Room, which was quite large with very high ceilings and very nicely decorated. It has a king sized bed and a super large bathroom with a jetted tub and separate shower. I was a little concerned since there is a full wall of windows that faced Government Street so I wondered about traffic and such keeping me awake since I am a light sleeper. However I actually had no trouble sleeping.

The location is EXCELLENT! It was a 2 block walk to Parliament and the Royal BC Museum and 3 blocks to the Empress Hotel and the Harbor area. We walked all the way to Chinatown too. There is a nice little convenience store across the street. But you are really close to shopping and restaurants galore. We took the Coho Ferry over (from Port Angeles) and it was a short walk from the ferry to the Rosewood. You can walk up to the Empress and catch a tour bus for a city tour too. We walked all the way to Craigdarroch Castle which was very nice and we also stopped at the Bug Zoo which was better than we expected.

Back in the room I should mention that the TV is very small and we were there on Oscar night so trying to watch it from the bed, which is on the other side of the very large room, was very challenging. I agree they do need to update their TVs especially since there is a huge mantle above the fireplace where they currently have a large painting but which would easily accommodate a bigger TV. Having a small TV in a large room almost makes it like there is no TV in the room. Also they do not have many channels to watch either. We were just lucky that they had the channel for the Oscars.

The bed is very comfortable. The two chairs in the room are also comfortable. The water pressure is also quite nice in the shower (we did not use the tub) but the vanity in the bathroom has a very low mirror (they could use some furniture lifters to raise it a little higher). It looked like an antique piece of furniture like a vanity that would have a chair for sitting at - and since there is no chair in the bathroom standing at the sink means you have to lean over to look into the mirror. Luckily they had a shaving mirror on a retractable arm at a normal height that we were able to use. We are quite tall but even a normal height person would probably have to lean over for the mirror on the vanity.

The Inn has WIFI which was very strong throughout our entire stay. Since there were not very many channels and the TV was so small, I was able to access my Netflix and we watched some shows on that.

One thing that bothered me is that the room was VERY cold. There was a fireplace but it was mostly for decoration and not for providing actual heat to the room. And there were no controls for adjusting the temperature in the room. During sleep was fine cause we normally sleep in a cool environment anyway, but when lounging in the room in the morning or during the day and early evening (before bedtime) it was quite cold just reading or using the wifi. I did mention it when checking out and they said that they were having trouble with their heat. I didn't see any thermostat in the room so I don't know how I would have made it more comfortable if it was actually working. I did see a small table fan in the room so I imagine during the summer the room may get quite warm.

There is a $13 pp/per day charge for breakfast and afternoon tea. I too am not normally a big breakfast eater but I was pleasantly surprised with the breakfasts that we had on the days we were there. They did ask if we had any food sensitivities and we mentioned dairy but we were still served yogurt on the last day so that was the one item we were unable to eat. First served was a muffin or scone and then an assorted fruit cup and then a dish such as scrambled eggs with bacon and potatoes or something similar. You also get unlimited coffee or tea and orange juice. Even though I normally skip breakfast, these were nice especially getting to talk to other guests. The afternoon tea was particularly nice and a huge value for what you pay. There was one other TripAdvisor person who said she could spend $5 for breakfast - so even after you pay $5 for breakfast, the other $8 is still a great deal for the afternoon tea considering tea at the Empress Hotel is about $50 pp (CAD). I am attaching a photo of the food we got with our tea at the Rosewood - it was a large plate of food that served 2 people. Lots of variety and again unlimited tea (or coffee I guess if you prefer). So even if you are not a breakfast eater, at least take advantage of the afternoon tea as it is very worth $13 PP alone. And yes it is mandatory and if you do not let them know you are having breakfast they will not prepare it for you so that it reduces waste. Everyone is told this upon check in so if you want breakfast, just put your name on the list at the check in counter. Quite easy to do. Same for afternoon tea. I hate wasting food so they are just trying to know exactly how many people to prepare food for.

There is a nice lobby room with a fireplace that was much warmer than our room so I went to sit down there a few times and I was still able to get the WIFI. Staff was super duper nice and every day after breakfast they filled my water bottle with ice. One thing this Inn really really REALLY needs is an ICE MACHINE! (Hello management - are you reading this??) Even one small ice machine in the lobby area would be great. I know there are some rooms that have kitchens but not all do. Our room had a small refrigerator with a teeny tiny ice tray which only made 8 very small ice cubes that barely chilled a glass of water much less filled my water bottle. So please please get an ICE MACHINE for the property! I can imagine in the summer months it would really be needed!

As for the staff, Claire and Nancy were great and there were 2 other people whose names I forgot who were also great - everybody was kind and pleasant and did their best to accommodate as best they could. I never saw or heard a grumble or frown the whole time we were there which means a lot for me. These people all do double (and probably triple) duty and they did everything with grace and pride. They all represent the Rosewood, and Canada, very well.

We will definitely return (especially since we are VI owners) and we look forward to it! Hope they get an ICE MACHINE soon!

Room Tip: If you are a VI owner, we had the Deluxe Hotel Room (without kitchen) and it was very nice.
1  Thank ClaireTravels
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The staff were very friendly. I thought that they could of upgraded the rooms. They were very old - it grossed my out. TV was VERY small. The breakfast was good, but I hate seafood. Make sure you're on the list to eat - because you have to pay the fee regardless. It's a bit steep, especially since I'm not a big breakfast person.. so I could of gone to Starbucks and grabbed a latte and a banana for under 5 bucks!
They also had no shampoo in our room, and none available. I much would of rather stayed at a hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple