“Great Breakfast!”

Ranked #17 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
Fredericton
“Great Breakfast!”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

My friend checked out Heathergate House for us, and said it looked good. When we arrived it was certainly up to our expectations. The breakfast was all that anyone could ask for and plenty to choose from. The first morning we had the full English and the next morning I had the blueberry muffins. All I can say about these are WOW! Ned even gave me the recipe.
Our bedroom was good with an en suite. I loved they way the flannels were presented in the bathroom - very artistic!
Heathergate is tucked away on one of the tree lined side streets. It is within easy walking distance of the main part of Victoria and in the other direction, the sea front and the cruise terminal. The host and hostess are very friendly and make you welcome.
If you are looking for a cozy place to stay, with an excellent breakfast, try the Heathergate!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We stayed at Heathergate in August 2010. Our hosts could not have been more helpful in providing instructions to arrive from Vancouver and on Victoria Island. The house is a delight- with a Scottish theme as the name implies and the garden is beautifully kept with several attarctive sitting out areas. Lovely biscuits and other goodies were always available and the breakfasts were among the best we have experienced. We recommend Heathergate very highly indeed. There is a beautiful walk along the coast path very close.
Julian and Ann Marcus, London UK

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Great place .We stayed in their cottage for 2 nights and would recommend it to anyone.
Home from home clean, comfortable,very kind helpful hosts who cook a fantastic breakfast.
(try the stewed rhubarb and custard).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
latina
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Beautiful bb, in a very quiet area very close to downtown ( just a short walk).
Very clean and welcoming!
The breakfast was absolutely gorgeous all homemade.
Ann and Ned are very friendly and helpful with any information you need.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Mckinney
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We rented the cottage at the Heathergate House since we have three small children. Also, our mother-in-law was travelling with us to help my husband and I with the children. This seemed more feasible than staying at the Empress since we would have more room, a kitchen, washer and dryer, etc. On the website it says they do not allow families with children 10 and under. I inquired about this in advance and they assured me the only reason they put that on the website is so that people would inform them if they had young children. They asked that we not have breakfast in the main house, as there were some guests who needed their quiet time. They also remarked that they would bring us a continental breakfast to the cottage if we so desired, if we didn't want the breakfast, we would get a $20 credit, per day. I thought that sounded fair.
Ned was very nice and hospitable. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for Ann. They did not make us feel like we were very welcome and I truly believe it's because we had young children. We paid the same rate as any other guest, even additional fees per person. Not only were we not welcome at the main house for breakfast, but they didn't tell us there was hot coffee and tea available from 7-9 a.m. for the guests. My mother-in-law is an early riser and would have benefitted from this service. We found out on the last day when we walked to the main house. We felt slighted when we saw the sign.

We told them we wanted the continental breakfast only the first day and after that, we would take care of our own breakfasts. Our thinking was that we had small children and we weren't sure what they would eat, if anything. They brought breakfast as promised on the first day. We were surprised that they came back and took all of the marmalade and jelly packets that we had left over. They took them from the fridge. We were planning to use our leftovers, that we paid for, for breakfasts on other days. We thought that was a cheap gesture on their part.
The last night we were there we were running low on groceries and didn't want to buy anything that would waste, so early that morning I decided to walk over to the main house and inquire as to whether or not we could pay for a breakfast at the cottage since we were not welcome at the main house. Ann was VERY unaccomodating!! I asked her very nicely, "Is there any way we might could get a breakfast this morning?" She looks coldly at me and replies "NO!" My five year old says "Mommy, can we have breakfast?" I said to him with embarrassment "No, we cannot." She looks at me as if i am stupid and adds "We have to know the night before."
This really was the point when i regretted staying there. This is why I would not recommend ANY family with children to stay there. Most of the breakfast was cold milk and cereal, yogurt, fruit...it was not stuff that had to be cooked. I'm sure they keep a stock-pile of these items. She could've said, "it may be a while before i can get to it, but i'll put something together for you." Anything would have been better than the cold "no" she gave to me. She just did not want to accomodate us. She acted "put out" by us being there. I felt in the way, as if they wished we were not there. Here we are with a five year old, a three year old, an 8 month old, a mother in law, in a foreign country and we just needed something to tide us over till lunch-time. And she could not provide anything. Really, you can't give us a few boxes of cereal and milk or some yogurt? It's not as if we wouldn't have paid for it.
We left a night early and drove back to Seattle. Of course, they didn't offer a discount because we left a night early.
As far as accomodations, the cottage was nice. The flowers are beautiful.
Also, Ned was very helpful with finding directions, booking ferries for us, etc.
If you do not have children, it would probably be a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank jatmom
Near Bedale, North Yorks
Reviewed 16 October 2009

The warm welcome (including fresh coffee, biscuits/cookies- baked fresh daily) set the tone for an excellent stay. The location is wonderful - Ned & Ann gave directions for a 15-20 min waterside walk into the city centre and the B&B has everything you could hope for, including large, airy lounge with really comfortable armchairs/sofas (complete with free use of computer/internet, papers, magazines and details of every possible local attraction). Our room was really comfortable, complete with clean, bright and well equipped ensuite (including thick, luxorious bathrobes).
We slept well - didn't hear a thing, and breakfast was another highlight with excellent choice of freshly prepared dishes.
We arranged to leave our bags till later in the day as friends were picking us up about 5pm. We were told to use the facilities whatever time we came back, including refreshments.
Excellent, excellent, excellent. Many thanks to Ann & Ned.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Rocky Mtn. House, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2009

The B&B itself is lovely both inside and out, exceptionally clean, and within strolling distance to downtown and all major attractions. My mom and I stayed for 2 days. ($125.00/night) The hosts, Ned and Ann, were exceptional! We had mentioned going to the Abhakazi Garden (Lovely for lunch) to Ned and, before we knew it, he had kindly mapped out the route to get there along with suggestions. The next day we mentioned going to the movies; Ned then again went out of his way to find out if the movie we wanted to see was playing, which theatre, times, and again mapped how to get there. You couldn't ask for more gracious, helpful hosts!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends