“Never again”
Review of Gatsby Mansion

Gatsby Mansion
Ranked #11 of 91 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The B&B gets one point for the location. Everything else is a big disappointment. If you expect a lovely B&B with charme, something private and familiar, a cosy room, a home that someone is taking care of and friendly hosts that love to talk to people, give recommendations about what to do, where to eat, a host who actually enjoys what he is doing... do not go there.
It is connected to another hotel, so you check in at a reception, your rooms are in a completely different buildingwith a restaurant located at the entrance level. The restaurant looks taken care of, something you expect when you think of grand english style. Well, the moment you walk upstairs it gets darker and dirtier, the rooms (at least the 2 we stayed at) are all used, tatty, expect torn sofa covers, wonky tables and shelfs, dirty tablecloths, you cannot close the bathroom doors. The windows frames are painted over so you cannot open them. Problem was, the heating could not be switched off (in August) and it was pretty hot in the room. We changed to another room which was as old and used as the other one, but least you could open the windows.. Breakfast: You get breakfast vouchers worth about 31.63 CAD which is definitely not enough for 2 people (yoghurt, muesli, 2 eggs and coffee for 2 people). So after having paid 170 bucks for a room per night, we ended up paying even more for breakfast..
Do me a favour - stay away!

2  Thank Emalaleni
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for posting your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of all our staff we do apologize that you seemingly did not enjoy your stay with us.
The properties, including the Huntingdon Hotel and the Gatby Mansion, are under new ownership and extensive renovation plans are are being prepared for the off season.
Our employees are doing daily their best to look after all our customer's requests and find the best solution to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Perhaps if you would have mentioned to us immediately you did not enjoy the room you had been assigned we could have assisted you and offered a different choice.
Best Regards

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We last stayed at the Gatsby mansion some ten or eleven years ago and were lucky enough to have the large bedroom with a veranda, on the first floor overlooking the harbour. When our cruise ship docked at Victoria earlier this month, for just one evening, we headed straight for the Gatsby Mansion to have dinner.
It was still a little oasis of charm, and although it was quiet, selfishly, we enjoyed this, after the crowded dining conditions of the cruise ship.
We had dinner on the terrace, and were served by an extremely pleasant waitress. Food was the best example of West Coast cooking I have had, and the wine, from the Okanagan Valley, was very good indeed.
I feel so disappointed on reading some of the recent reviews. Some people obviously do not understand what they are booking...it's a hotel for those who appreciate the charms of yesteryear, not those expecting the bland offerings of chain hotel groups.
I do hope that the new owners succeed in keeping this little glimpse of the past

2  Thank ultraview
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you very much indeed for your wonderful review and of course that you decided to stay with us again. We every much appreciate your feedback.
Our Gatsby Mansion does infact display a different and unique style of hospitality and we are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Chef D'Arcy Ladret and his front line staff do thank you as well and wanted me to mention they truly enjoyed your visit.
As we are now moving into the next phase with planned renovations within the next few months, we are hoping you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed one VERY REGRETTABLE night at the Gatsby Mansion in Victoria in early August this year(2012). This hotel is also known as the Belleville Park Resort, the Huntingdon Hotel or the Ramada Huntingdon Hotel. My room was filled with old worn furniture, dust and a heavy mouldy odeur. When I first arrived in my room I immediately discovered that there was no shower, just an old fashioned bathtub with a very small tap. I spoke to the front desk clerk who was completely unsympathetic and extremely rude. He suggested that asking for a room with a shower was a very unusual and unreasonable request. I was told that the Gatsby was a Bed and Breakfast and that a shower doesn't come with a Bed and Breakfast. When I made my reservation earlier in the year, the Gatsby was advertised as a hotel, not a bed and breakfast. Anyway, who has ever heard of that? I have stayed at bed and breakfasts all over England and Ireland and have always been provided with a shower. He told me that if I REALLY needed to clean myself (How crazy?), I could exit my hotel in the morning, walk around the block to a separate hotel entrance where the front desk was located, and from there I could access the basement washroom next to the underground parking lot where there was a curiously placed public shower. Sounds SAFE AND DIGNIFIED for myself, my 10 year old son and 12 year old daughter at 6am, doesn't it?Later that night I discovered millions of BED BUGS and was completely unable to sleep! Before leaving the hotel the next morning, I sat in the restaurant next to the front desk area and saw COCKROACHES climbing the walls. I was sitting there waiting for my breakfast that was supposed to come with my Bed and Breakfast, however there was no breakfast??? I have never in my life had such a disgusting and horrible experience with staff or hotel environment in a hotel anywhere in the world!!! I have stayed at youth hostels that were better!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Joan O

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, as we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of our employees I do thank you for staying with us on your most recent trip to Victoria, but I also apologize sincerely for the inconveniences you encountered.
Our front line staff is trying to accommodate and assist every guest as much as possible to ensure a pleasant and enjoyable stay. However in your case we must have failed to do so.
Allow me to suggest, if you would agree, for you to contact me at your convenience, as we would like to have the opportunity to correct our mistakes.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Just be aware that not all rooms are in the "Mansion" and that "heritage" sometimes means "old and neglected". The staff was courteous and the room was clean. The location on the inner harbour is wonderful. However, it is not good value for the most crucial aspect of any hotel.... a great bed providing a decent sleep.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments, as we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of all our employees I would like to thank you for staying with us on your most recent trip to Victoria.
The property, as it has been recently purchased and is under new ownership and management, will be undergoing extensive internal and external renovations within the next months.
Part of these plans are upgrading our general bedding situation.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in Victoria in the hopefully near future and sincerely hope you will then stay with us again.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Gatsby for a weekend in July. The location is right on the harbor with easy access to all of the downtown attractions. The staff was very friendly and we enjoyed our stay. We stayed in a "Baker" room (the lowest price type room) and the furniture is a bit worn (our bed was very squeaky) but the price and location made up for that. We had read other reviews about the rooms being small or not having breakfast included so I called and the person who made our reservation was quite accommodating and honored the "web special" price and explained the features of the various rooms so I could choose which would best suit our needs. If you book directly through the hotel (phone or on their website) you get a voucher towards breakfast at the restaurant. It didn't quite cover the entire bill (depending on what you order), but the food was very good.

Room Tip: Call and speak to someone about the amenities of the different rooms before picking one as the size...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle P
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time and posting your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
I behalf of all of our employees we thank you for choosing our hotel on your visit to Victoria.
We are looking forward to your next visit in the hopefully near future and remain

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I am terribly sorry this has taken so long to write, but rest assured I have given my comments to anyone that would listen. We were there on the May long weekend for my sister-in-laws wedding. When we booked I read all the reviews and was so hesitant that while on the ferry I was looking for alternate hotels. Thank heavens I did NOT CHANGE. The wedding was handled wonderully, the food, the rooms, the breakfasts, the service, the staff.....everything was just so pleasant and top notch. I had the most amazing time the whole weekend. I loved our old quaint room, next time I will book a little larger room but definately back in the Judges house. Thank you so much Gatsby Mansion for everything. I will return!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan L
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback.
In behalf of all our employees we appreciate very much we had the opportunity to host your family's wedding and we are happy everybody enjoyed the event and you enjoyed your stay.
We are looking forward to welcome you again in the hopefully near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

As with a lot of older homes that seem romantic but when trying to stay in them it's a bit of a disappointment. The first room had a slanted ceiling which was awful and we upgraded toa nicer room. The plus side was it was more spacious and the rent was the same. However, the room was dark and the chairs uncomfortable for reading. Everything looked nice but was too dainty to use. In the Gastby, you felt rather abandoned by the staff as there was noone there during the night. The bathtub drained awfully slowly which was a bit disgusting. The staff, bless them, were nice to us.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for posting your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
We are happy to hear you did enjoy your stay, thank you very much for staying with us.
As we are in the process of planning the details for the upcoming renovations in the fall, I will ensure your comments on the interior are being considered.
We are hoping though that you will visit us again in the hopefully near future.