“Great location, that's all!”
Review of Gatsby Mansion

Gatsby Mansion
Ranked #16 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
Centennial, Colorado
“Great location, that's all!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Hotel is in prime location and beautiful from the outside. Upon check-in, the staff was not overwhelmingly friendly. We were pointed in the direction of the room. My mother was unable to get her luggage to the 3rd floor of the mansion. We were not offered any help and had to find the maintenance man to help us. We stayed in room 8. The carpets were dirty and the upholstery on the furniture was torn. The room was dusty and the bed linens did not appear to be clean and pillows smelled dirty. I knew there was no shower in the room by the reviews on line, but there was no hose/sprayer on the tub faucet. The only way we could was our hair was with the ice bucket! The windows had to be propped open. The next morning was a disaster. We were looking forward to the breakfast (included). The service was POOR. We waited 1 1/2 hours for our breakfast and it arrived cold. They offered a beautiful French toast, but were unable to find any maple syrup....really? It's in every corner here! They attributed the poor service to being busy....really? Three parties in restaurant. As a result, we missed our $100 per person excursion that we booked. I went to the front desk to leave a message with the manager, and I never heard back. Needless to say, we were lucky enough to cancel the rest of our stay and find better accommodations.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Mary Bea M, Public Relations Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you and your mother encountered during your stay. When guests book at the Gatsby, the front desk agents are trained to advise the guest that there is no elevator and they then ask the guest if they would like assistance. Your comments have now established changes whereby the guest will automatically be escorted to the Gatsby.
The Gatsby will be undergoing major refurbishment commencing in October. The room that you stayed in has been taken out of inventory until refurbishment has been completed. The poor service that you received in the restaurant is not indicative of our standards. We have taken steps to ensure that a similar incident does not occur.
We are truly sorry that your visit did not live up to your expectations nor did it adhere to our standards of service.Your comments have assisted management in addressing some deficiencies. Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

You cannot beat the location of the Gatsby - only 2 blocks from the Legislature building and just across the street from the Inner Harbour. We walked to dinner every night. The breakfast is yummy and we ate on the porch overlooking the harbor. We had a large room with a small porch with a view however the black flies were out in force so we couldn't sit outside. The weather was warmish and without AC we tried to open the windows. Only one window had a screen and the flies would come in the other windows. We had a small fan which kept us cool at night. Our room didn't have a shower or even a hand held device in the tub. Not being a bathtub person, I took a navy shower and washed my hair in the sink. I wish the website would have advised our room didn't have a shower. The carpets sorely need replacing and the overall state of the room is worn out. It's a vintage hotel so I don't expect modern amenities but the rooms need some work - but the location and price can't be beat!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vmegan
Mary Bea M, Public Relations Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Gatsby Mansion.
The Huntingdon Manor and the Gatsby Mansion are under new ownership.
Both facilities will under go complete refurbishment starting this October.
We invite you to come back to experience the Gatsby's new look.
Bahamas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Got a room on the second floor facing the water with a king bed for just over $100 per night. Just stayed one night but would definitely stay next time we are in Victoria if the price is the same. Place seems very old which it is but adds charm to the experience. Good location just a short walk to downtown. Didn't get a chance to eat at the restaurant downstairs but looked nice.

Room Tip: Get a room with a king bed facing the water!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ahop86
Mary Bea M, Public Relations Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at the Huntingdon Manor.
Value for money spent is something that we all appreciate. The Huntingdon Manor offers a fabulous location,comfortable accommodations and friendly knowledgeable staff.
The Huntingdon Manor will see complete refurbishments of its guestrooms this fall and early winter.
There will be no construction so our guests will not be inconvenienced.
Please come back and stay with us again in our new improved facility.
Sincerely
Mary Bea M\Public Relations Manager
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I've always wanted to stay here, so I decided to treat myself & a friend to a few days mid-week. We got the Baker room on the 3rd floor. It was bigger than I expected. All the little details in the room, from the books on the shelves, to the miniature pictures by the window, made this just such a wonderful experience. I loved the soaker tub. Bubble baths at home are a sad comparison now! Breakfast in the sunshine on the balcony overlooking the gardens was a treat.

Derek at the Huntington front desk was wonderful, as was the gentleman at the desk at the Gatsby in the evening. I can't wait to come back. Soon, I hope!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CLS197
Mary Bea M, Public Relations Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
If you enjoyed your stay in the Gatsby -- come back to our new look.
The Gatsby will undergo refurbishment commencing in January of 2015.
We will keep all the amenities that a Victorian Mansion should have but will make some changes in the bedding, window coverings and carpeting.
We look forward to welcoming you on your return visit!
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My husband and I got married here 12 years ago and have returned to The Gatsby Mansion many times since. We have tried out most of the rooms and the harbour view ones are our favourite, although each room has its own wonderful character. Our check-in agent (Catherine) on this visit was exceptional. The place is old-style and we love it. Food is always top-notch. Coming to The Gatsby Mansion is like coming home.

• Stayed December 2013
Catherine A, Front Office Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
We are delighted that you have selected The Gatsby Mansion again and we certainly appreciate your comments!

We deeply value your relationship with The Gatsby Mansion and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our guests deserve the very best.

Looking forward to be your host again,
With best regards,

Catherine Audet
Front Office Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I am originally from Victoria so having passed this beautiful building over the years I decided to book it on a trip back. When we arrived we were shown to a horribly dirty room with mould and cobwebs on the ceiling and in the bathroom, ancient carpet and upholstery. We asked for another room only to be taken to another which was even worse. It was late at night so we decided we would have to stay at that point. At about 2 in the morning a fire alarm went off and we were all asked to go outside and wait. We were stuck there for 90 minutes while the firemen tried to find the problem in the boiler room and expressed frustration that no one had any manuals or knowledge of the systems which had gone wrong and caused the alarm. We finally got back at about 4. However when I awoke the next morning I discovered I had been bitten repeatedly all over my hands, neck, shoulders and ankles by bed bugs! These bites then swoll up such that my hand was like a baseball mit and at that point that we went to the pharmacy to get some advice. They told me I had to get to a hospital immediately as I had signs of infection and blood poisoning. The hospital doctor confirmed this and put me on high strength antibiotics which made me feel ill for weeks until I had finished taking them. This entirely ruined my trip back home which I only get a chance to do every 3 or 4 years. I would avoid this hotel at all costs!!

Room Tip: Do not risk this hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank PamelaMillsDesign

Travellers are raving about these Victoria hotels