“Hated to leave” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Warrenton, Oregon
“Hated to leave”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

What a wonderful hotel! The entire staff (bellhops, front desk, spa, housekeeping, valet and restaurant) were amazing. Fantastic guest service! After reading all the great reviews about the Magnolia we knew this was the hotel we had to book for our wedding. We checked into room 706 (the best room in the hotel they say) and were in awe of the stunning views and beautiful room! The bathroom has a deep soaker tub. It was great!

The hotel is right in the middle of everything. You can walk everywhere, which we did (boy were we exhausted at the end of the day). The restaurant is delicious. We didn't plan on eating in the hotel restaurant, but after talking with staff and hearing them all rave about the menu we decided to give it a shot for our wedding night dinner. I'm glad we did! One of the best meals we had while in Victoria! The shrimp and Tuna tower appetizer was delicious. My husband can't stop talking about it. haha! A few of the reviews I had read complained about the continental breakfast and I'm not sure what they were so unhappy about. First off...it's free, come on. Secondly, we were very pleased with the selection...yogurts, oatmeal with different toppings, bagels, toasts, danishes, fruits and a waffle maker (along with teas, coffee and different juices).

We will definitely be visiting again. Thank you so much Magnolia staff!

Room Tip: Corner rooms with views of Parliament and harbor!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

There are many attractive hotels. It is increasingly rare to find a hotel with superb service. The Magnolia is an absolutely wonderful hotel. It's both small and spacious, with high ceilings, generous, well-appointed rooms, and a lovely spa. It is centrally located, close to museums and galleries. The hotel is beautifully managed, in the artful way that emphasizes service while rendering the effort of management invisible. I look forward to returning, as soon as possible!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Camrose Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

My husband and I travelled to Victoria for spring break and chose the Magnolia Hotel because of all the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. It certainly lived up to its reputation. We arrived to a warm welcome from the front desk staff, then made our way up to a diamond room on the 7th floor. The room was beautifully decorated, with plush bed linens, fireplace, robes and slippers on the bed, and a welcome treat of chocolates, apples and bottled water. The bathroom is marble and tile, with a large soaker tub and a walk in shower. We had a wonderful view of the inner harbour, and the parliament buildings at night are a spectacular sight! Attention to every little detail makes the Magnolia a perfect place to stay - the room service was impeccable, turndown service is offered every evening, a daily newspaper, Italian coffee (the best I've ever had in a hotel room), real wine glasses and a beautiful four poster bed! The complimentary breakfast offered a variety of foods, from waffles to granola and yogurt. We didn't eat at Prime, but had room service twice from there during our stay and the food was delicious. If I had to offer any criticism, it would be that we had a lot of trouble with the phones in the room - could not dial directly to room service. Other than that, we truly enjoyed our stay at the Magnolia and would stay again.

portland or
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

Absolutely a perfect, relaxing time. Every need meet. Thank you it was more than I expected. Great location, beautiful rooms and a wonderful staff. Upper corner rooms have view of the lighted capital at night-spectacular! Aveda bath products, turn down service with chocolates, valet parking.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 30 March 2011
Thanks for the great review caldwellgirl!

I appreciate your taking the time to share such kind comments online, and glad you enjoyed all those extra little touches and details in your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

The Magnolia deserves all the raving reviews it gets on Trip Advisor!!! Everything was absolutely perfect, and we will never stay anywhere else when we visit Victoria. The staff, the beautiful rooms, the delicious breakfast and the perfect location all make me wish that there was a Magnolia Hotel in every city!

Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

Now, I have to preface this review with one statement: I have NEVER given any hotel I have reviewed on Tripadvisor as high of an overall rating I as have the Magnolia Hotel in Victoria, B.C., Canada. That said, I will have to back this statement up with a few thoughts so that you may understand how I came to this conclusion.

While I stay at hotels substantially more often than the casual consumer, one has to always translate the review relative to the market conditions and quality level of the hotel. You can`t compare some Cuban 4.5 star to a Victoria hotel, etc. With this hotel, I think they have magically executed a little piece of brilliant hotel management, because I don`t have to make any elaborate comparisons to other area hotels. They kill all the competition in the area due simply: location, value, and service! Can you spend more money staying next door at the Empress? Sure, but will you really get more? Doubt it!

Firstly, when I arrived, I told them I was looking to use their hotel to shoot HD footage of the BC Legislature, so I wanted a room as high up as I could. They offered me an upgrade to the BEST room in the hotel (room 706) for a mere $30. Done! It was worth it: it faces the inner harbour and the legislature. It even has Romeo & Juliet style balcony doors that open, so it didn`t have to windex the typical dirty hotel exterior to get my shots.

The room: gas fireplace, robes, safe, min bar, separate tub and shower, flat screen TV, cordless phone, internet (free-thank god!), coffee maker and tea and complimentary apples and chocolate waiting for me in the room. This is the suite that rock stars and celebrities get when they stay here. Management probably would not appreciate me saying who stays here of importance, so you`ll just have to ask like I did when you come. lol.

Staff: eager to please. Valet (all parking is valet, $20). Everyone from the manager (spoke to briefly) to the room attendants are friendly and make the effort. Made sure you tip these people, I did. You actually get the service, and in my mind, rewarding the best is what gratuities are all about.

Breakfast: it`s the typical do-it-yourself waffles and carbo-o-holic buffet, but I would rate it above the average for this genre of breakfast. It`s free and included, so that`s a huge bonus.

Local and National newspapers are available in the lobby, but you also get a daily newspaper the awaits you at your door, too. Coffee and a newspaper is always nice in your room to start your day.

My only criticism would be their taste in furniture, but that is subjective and I can`t really beat them up on it. The bed was very comfortable, so no issues there.

Had a great time just relaxing, doing a bit of work and seeing old friends while in town.
P.S. I used to live here, and have stayed at many competitors hotels over the years, including the "President`s Suite" at the Executive House Hotel, a block away. Lots of good hotels in town, but dollar for dollar, factoring in the location and service, you can`t beat this place.

Oh yeah, a tip: Use Priceline, as they often put some of their inventory online. While you can`t be sure to always get this hotel, they`re worth the chance if you do your research on Betterbidding.com I got the room for $89 U.S. Dollars plus taxes, the $30 upgrade, and the $20 parking. Expect to pay upwards of $300 plus taxes for a premium room during peak time at this hotel (I asked lol).

Great work guys! Please don`t lose your employee engagement, because this is your best asset! See my video I did for more insight into this property.

Cheers until next time.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Linescrew
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

We wanted somewhere central to stay while spending some time exploring Victoria - the Magnolia is very conveniently located about a block from the Legislative Buildings, Inner Harbour - in fact close to most of the sites you would want to visit. The hotel entrance is low key, but once into the foyer you are surrounded by understated luxury, friendly, attentive staff and everything you need for a comfortable stay. Our corner room was huge, a comfortable king-sized bed with a selection of pillows, nice toiletries in the bathroom and fresh fruit, water and chocolates waiting for us when we wanted to recover from our wander around Victoria. There is a spa on site (which we didn't use) and a restaurant with a varied menu. The restaurant decor was much more informal, looked more like a bar. The buffet breakfast was served here - nice pastries, fruit, muffins etc. A very relaxing stay.

1 Thank lazyjanie