“Not bad.”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My husband and I used to live in Victoria so we were familiar with The Magnolia, and decided to try it out. The location is excellent, perfect for exploring downtown.
The service is great, everyone was very friendly. The lobby seemed a bit tired, but decent. There was complimentary coffee and tea which was a nice touch.
Our room was nice, lovely furniture and a fireplace. The bathtub was tiny and the bathroom felt dingy, but they did provide razors which was great since I'd forgotten mine!
The view was....disappointing. Yes, we could see a bit of the harbor, but it was overshadowed by the rooftops covered in seagull droppings. It was disgusting! I realize there's nothing the hotel can do about it, but it certainly detracts from what could be a lovely view.
I had a pedicure at the spa and it was wonderful! The spa is beautiful, and everyone was super friendly. The Aveda products are excellent.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Thank you for your stay with us Mr. & Mrs. Scott,

I would like to first thank you for all the kind comments about the hotel, our friendly staff, beautiful rooms and our spa. We appreciate this kind feedback. I am sorry you didn't find our bathrooms to your liking. Our baths with seperate shower and deep tubs, marble counters and floors, and lit vanity mirrors are generally well received by our guests, so this is disappointing to hear. I was pleased that the razor we include in the bath amenities was useful. We specialize in those little details at The Magnolia, and I'm glad a simple inclusion of a razor was a benefit to your stay.

With respect to Victoria's seagulls -- I'm truly sorry that you were not able to enjoy the views from your room as a result of seagull droppings. As you may have read in our local papers during your visit, Victoria has had an unusually high seagull population this season causing all sorts of messy challenges throughout the downtown core. Again, I'm very sorry and disappointed that this issue had such a detrimental impact on your visit.

I have forwarded my contact information, and hope we can be in touch.

Warm regards,

The Magnolia Hotel & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (2,877)

Reviewed 23 August 2011

The stay was comfortable, but in my opinion was a bit over rated. While I must stress that I had a very comfortable night sleep, the supposed 'view' of Victoria was of graffiti covered rooftops. The hotel and room itself was comfortable, but it seemed a bit over priced. The staff was very friendly, and the continental breakfast in the adjoining restaraunt was amazing (so was the dinner there). The room was very clean, but something that I must mention, which put me off a bit, was the urine on the floor of the lobby restroom. It was over all a nice stay, but I wasn't too impressed.

Room Tip: Dont bother with trying to get a 'room with a view'. It isn't worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Cassidy P
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Thank you for your stay with us this past May, and for sharing your comments.

I would like to express my sincere apology that your stay did not live up to your expectations. We strive for an exceptional hotel experience and clearly we didn't meet this expectation during your visit. I have forwarded a private message and would be pleased to be in touch further about stay.

I appreciate all of the kind feedback about your visit including the comfortable sleep, friendly staff, and amazing breakfast. Thank you for sharing this great feedback.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience with our public lobby washroom. We strive to keep all areas of our hotel impeccably clean at all times and regularly inspect this washroom. I can assure you that if this was brought to the attention of any of our associates it would be rectified immediately. I do wish we could have been in touch sooner, as clearly this was an experience that tainted your stay.

Thank you again for your stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Great litte boutique hotel. Nicely updated, friendly staff, nice dining. My wife and I stayed here for one night and were pleasently surprised at how much value we got for our stay. We had a standard room, but it was nicely appointed - REALLY comfy beds, good AC, huge bathroom with 2 person soaker tub, fully stocked minibar, insuite safe etc. The place was very clean and we were surprised to see the free included breakfast was way more than your standard "apple and toast" style continental breakfast. It had fresh fruit, meats, cheeses, bagels, toast, oatmeal, granola, fruit juices, yogurt, waffles etc etc. No on-site parking was a bit of a down side, but they do offer a valet service - $20 bucks and your car is parked for you and you can call down and have it ready and waiting with a 3 minute heads up phone call to the front desk. Overall was a very nice stay and would stay there again with no hesitation...

1  Thank bpope5323

Thank you bpope for taking the time to share such a nice review!

We're thrilled that you enjoyed our great litte boutique hotel, and all of our comforts and amenities.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 20 August 2011

What a find. It is right downtown, two blocks from everything, but on a side street so you don't have the noise etc of the main drag. The rooms were beautifully decorated and if you upgrade to one of the higher florrs then the views a great. The free breakfast was huge and really delicious. We just parked just outside the hotel which was safe and pretty convenient.
Will definitely book in again and again when in Victoria

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuperPicky53

Thanks for the great review Superpicky53,

We thrilled that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the views from the upper floors.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2011

We had a room on the top floor, on the corner, with a view of the harbor. The room was quiet and spotless, with turndown service. The location is right in the heart of Victoria, but a block away from the hustle and noise. Breakfast was adequate.

This is the first hotel in a long time that actually has plush towels and a comfy bathrobe. The staff was really, really nice. They even leave apples and water in the room!

Stay here - you will be pleased.

Room Tip: Try for room 702
1  Thank ExperiencedTravelers

Thank you for the nice review !

I appreciate the kind words about your stay, and am thrilled you enjoyed the location, the robes and the great view from room 702. With 80 reviews and counting I truly appreciate such great feedback from such a seasoned traveller.

Reviewed 18 August 2011

Located on a quiet road very close the everything in downtown, we could not have been happier. Huge room and large bed with bright windows on two sides. Complientry tea and coffee in the room as usual but also fruit juice in the lobby (nice touch).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nickm45
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This hotel was beautiful. My husband and I went for a couples spa night and so glad we did. All employees we encountered were amazing, friendly and attentive in every way. The spa was relaxing and the massage therapists we had were personable and gave the most relaxing massages. Our room was 706 and we had a view of the water, Parliament Building as well as the Empress Hotel. The room had a king size bed, fireplace and a two person tub which gave it that nice romantic feeling. We ordered room service and the food was incredible. Breakfast in the morning was complimentary, and a nice way to start off your day. We will be back for another romantic evening very soon.

1  Thank offwegoagain33