After my last review pointed out some flaws with our stay, the manager of Magnolia offered us a second stay for a very reduced rate, so we took him up on it and stayed again. This hotel is in a great location, the staff is helpful, and the rooms are large and pretty clean. The breakfast is fine, especially since it's free and Victoria can get expensive. We got the free chocolates we were supposed to get last time, and they were good. Also got some wine, which we haven't tried because it is red wine and I'm allergic to red wine. We didn't bother to ask for white, or I'm sure they would have switched it out.
One thing that was super helpful was the recommendation for a vegetarian, Italian dinner. Usually, I am content to eat anywhere with vegetarian options because it's all I can usually get. Having already eaten at Rebar twice in one day, I was really craving Italian. Lucking into a vegetarian actually working at the desk (I wish I could remember her name!), I asked if there was somewhere we could get some vegetarian Italian food, and she delivered! That's a pretty specific request, and she had actually eaten there and recommended a few dishes. We were tired, and not having to figure out what to do for dinner was great! (The only thing that would have been better is if the hotel restaurant had more veg options...it is a steakhouse.)
Anyway, the bed is nice, the fireplace is nice, the view is pretty good (we had the partial ocean view with the tops of buildings in the foreground that you can see in someone's photos of the hotel). The decor is hotel-y, which is fine, and classic, which fits in in Victoria. I think staying in a modern-decor hotel in Victoria would be a little weird.
The only thing lacking at this hotel is the maintenance. A lot of the trimwork is banged up and could use a new coat of paint. A wallpaper seam in the bathroom was coming apart and buckling (I don't understand why hotels put wallpaper in bathrooms as this is bound to happen). The worst was the shower glass between the shower and the tub was full of mold in the seams. The only way to fix this would be to take it completely apart and do a proper caulking job, so it's not a cleaning issue, it's a maintenance issue. One cleaning issue is that some of the blue shower cleaning solution is left on the tiles, not a huge issue, but it seems like it should be easy enough to rinse it all off when cleaning.
All in all, if those maintenance issues are my only complaints, I think it's a pretty great hotel. Not perfect, or I would have given it 5 stars, and not just average, or I would have given it 3... I think it would be particularly pleasant in the winter when cold and rain could keep you in your room snuggled up by the fire. Oh, except there is no way to do that unless you sit in stiff armchairs. They could really use a little sofa or chaise lounge in front of the fire.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Downtown Victoria’s Favourite Boutique Hotel.Beautifully refreshed new guest rooms with plush textures, elegant patterns and raw-silk inspired walls. Outstanding location, just 2 blocks from Victoria’s picturesque Inner Harbour and in the heart of the city’s best shopping, dining and entertainment. Tranquil Spa Magnolia and the exciting new Catalano Restaurant & Cicchetti Bar. The kind of undistracted attention you can only receive in a boutique hotel with just 64 rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Magnolia Hotel And Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Magnolia Hotel And Victoria
- Magnolia Hotel Victoria
- Magnolia Hotel And Spa Victoria, Vancouver Island