“Perfect amount of helpfulness without intruding”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect amount of helpfulness without intruding”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Magnolia is a lovely hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful without being intrusive, we also did not feel as though we were not good enough for the hotel even though it is a 'boutique' hotel we were made to feel very welcome. The room we had was lovely and well equipped with nice toiletries and water, fruit and chocolate complimentary in the room as a welcome. The included breakfast was the best we had of the trip with lots of choice and much more than we thought we would get from previous reviews on trip advisor. Would definitely stay again and highly recommend. The check out staff also checked the weather for our onward trip and advised of excursions we might be interested in.

The housekeeping staff we met were very helpful and friendly.

If anything could be improved it would be the info we were given on check in. The lady who checked us in did not give us very comprehensive information on location of the restaurant or lift or where to go for breakfast so we had to ask. I would prefer to be told rather than asking but that is a small point.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank albiejnr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I had a rare opportunity to go and stay in a local hotel just to relax and unwind...this one was recommended and off I went. It was like being transported back to a time when people still understand about service to the core of their day to day. I was totally pleased by the attentive and competent staff. Happy and proactively on top of every need.If you are a local to Victoria, check this place out - great for your visitors. Heck, although I'm a local, I will make this an annual pilgrimage.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Tom B
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Thanks for the great review Tom!

I'm thrilled you had a nice "stay-cation" night away with us in town.
It is always nice to get a night or two away, even in your own city, and I'm glad our staff made this experience so restful!

Best Regards,

Seattle, WA
Reviewed 24 October 2011

After my last review pointed out some flaws with our stay, the manager of Magnolia offered us a second stay for a very reduced rate, so we took him up on it and stayed again. This hotel is in a great location, the staff is helpful, and the rooms are large and pretty clean. The breakfast is fine, especially since it's free and Victoria can get expensive. We got the free chocolates we were supposed to get last time, and they were good. Also got some wine, which we haven't tried because it is red wine and I'm allergic to red wine. We didn't bother to ask for white, or I'm sure they would have switched it out.

One thing that was super helpful was the recommendation for a vegetarian, Italian dinner. Usually, I am content to eat anywhere with vegetarian options because it's all I can usually get. Having already eaten at Rebar twice in one day, I was really craving Italian. Lucking into a vegetarian actually working at the desk (I wish I could remember her name!), I asked if there was somewhere we could get some vegetarian Italian food, and she delivered! That's a pretty specific request, and she had actually eaten there and recommended a few dishes. We were tired, and not having to figure out what to do for dinner was great! (The only thing that would have been better is if the hotel restaurant had more veg options...it is a steakhouse.)

Anyway, the bed is nice, the fireplace is nice, the view is pretty good (we had the partial ocean view with the tops of buildings in the foreground that you can see in someone's photos of the hotel). The decor is hotel-y, which is fine, and classic, which fits in in Victoria. I think staying in a modern-decor hotel in Victoria would be a little weird.

The only thing lacking at this hotel is the maintenance. A lot of the trimwork is banged up and could use a new coat of paint. A wallpaper seam in the bathroom was coming apart and buckling (I don't understand why hotels put wallpaper in bathrooms as this is bound to happen). The worst was the shower glass between the shower and the tub was full of mold in the seams. The only way to fix this would be to take it completely apart and do a proper caulking job, so it's not a cleaning issue, it's a maintenance issue. One cleaning issue is that some of the blue shower cleaning solution is left on the tiles, not a huge issue, but it seems like it should be easy enough to rinse it all off when cleaning.

All in all, if those maintenance issues are my only complaints, I think it's a pretty great hotel. Not perfect, or I would have given it 5 stars, and not just average, or I would have given it 3... I think it would be particularly pleasant in the winter when cold and rain could keep you in your room snuggled up by the fire. Oh, except there is no way to do that unless you sit in stiff armchairs. They could really use a little sofa or chaise lounge in front of the fire.

Room Tip: The king corner rooms are huge
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pongojones
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Thank you for your review "PongoJones", and for coming back for a return visit!
I am glad we could touch base following your 2010 stay, and have you back again.

I appreciate all of the feedback, and am truly pleased that you wouldn't stay anywhere else.

With respect to the maintenance deficiencies, I truly apologize for any wear and tear and missed maintenance in your room. We strive to keep up our product to the highest level at all times, however there are peak periods such as August where this can be challenging with busy volumes. As we are entering our slower season we have touch-ups and improvements scheduled for all rooms in the coming months. I hope that on a return visit you'll not notice any nicks or required touch ups and that your stay will be flawless.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, and I look forward to welcoming you back again,

Best Regards,

Marin, CA
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Very nice stay. Nice room with harbor view. Very comfortable. Great staff. Really good breakfast.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John F
Thanks for the great review Alfajohn,
We appreciate your feedback and always love being seen by our guests as "THE best".
We hope to welcome you back soon!

Camrose, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2011

We stayed in the Magnolia for Mother's Day 2010. The room we requested was the room we recieved, but we booked well in advance. We had a nice view of the Victoria harbour and it is within walking distance to great restaurants and shopping. The rooms could use an up-date, but were comfortable. The staff was friendly and willing to help out with requests. The lobster bisque in the restaurant was my favorite and to this day, I still crave it. The spa was new when I visited for several treatments on 2 separate days. All services we relaxing and the staff is very professional.
I dont think that the actual experience was as good as it is depicted on the web-site, but I think this was due to the needed up-date. I would likely try another property before returning here again.

Room Tip: book as far in advance to assure you get a corner king harbour view!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review Travelcoleen,

We appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback from your Mother's Day visit.
I'm unsure from your review whether this was this past May or 18 months ago, but am truly sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations you'd had from our website.

I will send my contact information via private message as I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about the updates required, and the shortcomings of this past visit. We have
several projects for updating the rooms scheduled over the winter months, and are always striving to keep our hotel in impeccable condition for our guests.

I hope we can be in touch, and welcome you back again,

california
Reviewed 21 October 2011

awesome!
The hotel was nice overall
nice victorian style

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank californiandude
Okanagan, B.C.
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Stayed two nights at the Magnolia on business. Stayed in a King corner room on the 4th floor. Lovely room which was beautifully decorated with quality in mind.

Bathroom included a separate shower and tub and a light up make-up mirror. Little extras are included in the bathroom such as shower gel, disposable razor, q-tips, cotton balls, shoe shin mitt and shower cap. Nice Aveda products; shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Bathrobes and slippers are hanging in the closest for your use during your stay.

Beautiful bed with top quality linens. I had a King size bed that was outfitted with 6 pillows. The pillows varied from firm to soft and foam to feather. Lots of variety.

Included in the price of the room was a lovely breakfast served in the restaurant by the lobby. It was deluxe and included fresh fruit salad, yogurt, breads, muffins, cereal and pre-made belgium waffles with syrup or strawberries and whipped cream.

Turn down service each night left ice in the ice bucket and dark chocoloates by the bed. Nice touch.

I would highly recommend the Magnolia for your stay while in Victoria.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MissyGryphon
Thanks for the lovely review Missygryphon,

I appreciate your taking the time to share such wonderful and detailed feedback about your visit.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!

Warm Regards,